Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ebony Interior Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ebony Interior Sucks!

I have a 2001 Black Trans Am with the ebony interior. I clean it weekly, only use quality products. I use either Lexol leather cleaner or conditioner on the leather and trim pieces. My driver seat looks terrible. I don't see the kind of wear on any other color interior trans am/camaro that shows more wear than ebony, WHY?!?!?! Is there any way to reduce the wear without driving the damn car?

Also my ebony dash is showing some wear also on the top of the dash that leads to the guage cluster. It seems to be from the sun. I'm buying a sun visor for when I'm not driving the car. Is there any way to stop this besides the shade? Anybody else having problems with their ebony interior?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I haven't noticed any problems with my interior (mines the same as yours except it's an 02) other than the damn door panel cracks
I use NXT for the dah, and Megs leather cleaner and leather conditioner for the seats and the steering wheel, I use it weekly.
Get something with UV protection for the dash, and a good cleaner and conditioner (with uv protectant) for the rest of the leather
It also depends on where you live as to how well the interior holds up, someone in AZ, is going to have more problems from sun damage than someone in WA
Old 05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

i dont have any interior problems either but i do have the door panel crack on my passenger side....
Old 05-31-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My ebony seats seem fine
Old 05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

My seats are fine as once every 3 months I treat the leather, however my headliner and sunvisors are turning light brown because of all the time I drive with the T-Tops off. The sun is killing this area, faded really bad, I 'll have to replace it soon. The door panel cracks I also have, ... that's the price to pay for a black on black car....
Old 05-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

hmm well the graphite interior just pretty much sucks in general. alot of my panels started to fade a little bit and turn a grayish-blue color. I wish I had your interior!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my interior!!!! looks new
Old 05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

I have tan leather and if you dont like yours we can trade cause i have had ebony and loved it this tan **** sucks!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black02ta
I have tan leather and if you dont like yours we can trade cause i have had ebony and loved it this tan **** sucks!
i agree tan sucks! maybe its because the black conducts alot more heat than the tan. i would get really dark tint and one of those windshield shade things.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

I think Pontiac may have had a bad year for "hides" in 2001. I had a 2001 Grand Prix and a 2001 Grand Am. Both had "graphite" leather interior, (similar to ebony), and both looked terrible after a year. Lots of cracks, wrinkles, stretching, fading.

I used Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner faithfully (which I consider to be one of the best products out there for leather)... still they looked bad.

My 2000 Trans Am... the ebony leather is perfect. Looks like brand new.

P.S. ... A good upholstery shop can match the leather pretty good, and re-cover those seats for you with a high quality leather, but that's a pricey option. I'm guessing 500 for the two front seats.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Its just the driver seat, mainly from wear and tear I guess. I monthly clean and condition the leather. I have my windows tinted. I am not a newbie to the detailing car scene. I did order a sun visor shade from afterthoughtsauto. Are all you ebony interiors posters daily drivers or garage queens? Is there any warranty on the seats? What would hte cost be for new driver seat as the passenger is perfect. I figure I may have better luck in the classifieds.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

The only interior wear on my '02 Firehawk is a slight wear on the driver's seat bolster. (It was like that when I bought it.)

I love mine, I wouldn't trade my ebony for any other color.... unless the interior was available in polished aluminum.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

I guess I should just accept it as wear and tear and could always eventually buy a new/used seat. I love the ebony color the best also, but hate all the wear it shows. i really need to buy a POS daily driver and park this thing like I said I would a year ago. Off to bidding in the for sale section for seats...
Old 06-01-2006, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mc01ta
What would hte cost be for new driver seat as the passenger is perfect.
You might want to try eBay or some local salvage yards. Sometimes a car is totaled, but the interior parts are perfect....
Old 06-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Banned

man so is 97 the only year they had the funky *** headrest for Trans Ams? Everyones car I've seen has a nice small headrest and the same with my 95. But my 97 has this huge clunkly *** headrest that is hard as a rock and has this big hunk of plastic on the back!