Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dick Harrell replacement fenders

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006 | 04:42 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608

They could GIVE YOU the body pieces and you'd still need to have a top notch (the best) shop to make it look right.

How bout this?

its slight but you can see the buldge.

heres what the dude said about it

That's the look I was going for... when I was finished with them, I stood back and smirked as I stared at the car, because it honestly looked like it could of came that way from the factory. That's the second time I did the fenders on the car. The first time I did them, I didn't do the entire quarter panel, I made the the mistake of just flaring out things around the fender well, and it did not look right at all. So I brought some car show tickets and checked out how some guys had customized thier rides. When I saw that the way some people were flaring thier cars I realized what I did wrong. So I went back and redid the entire quarter panel, which took a good while but it was worth it to me. The hardest part was cutting into the factory sheet metal, since it becomes 2 piecies of sheet metal pressed together at the bottom of the wells. Hacking that up was a pain, and also when I started to get towards the bottom of the door jams, was a bit of a task since I had to figure out how to make the flare flow from the original body of the car. It was more about just being creative and taking time out to get things right. But then again I'm pretty good with body work and it only cost me the supplies needed to do the job like Fiber glass, sheetmetal, and sand paper... maybe 65 bucks all together, but I couldn't imagine what a shop would charge.
Old 06-02-2006 | 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

"nobody could do it"

HA!

One word, WHISTLER.

Im sure he could handle it.
Old 06-02-2006 | 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Trust
Or Chuck Norris...
Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked a v6 Camaro and when he finished, there were five Phase III Dick Harrell Camaros. Don't mess with the Chuckster!!!!
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Its not impossible and yah it would cost a hell of alot of money to produce something like the DH fenders. But its not out of the question. A few months ago I was ready to rock and roll on this project then was offered a job making 3 times as much as I have ever made so I couldnt pass it up. Now work is my main focus or else I would have started on the project and had some kind of progress already. I really wish someone would see the market potential of this and create it...at least to shut the negative people up.
Old 06-04-2006 | 05:16 PM
SSU Moderator

First of all...why the hell would Foose even LOOK at a 4th Gen. We should take our cars off the pedistal for a sec. Foose works on/CREATES million-dollar cars.

Second, I never said that "it" couldn't be done. It can, and obviously has. HOWEVER, no one from this board IMO is gonna just pick it up and make production quality fenders on the side. Someone could obviously make a body part for their car and use the molds or methods to do it...but its not that easy either. Let's take Whistler...there's probably a reason he's not selling that front end or some targa conversion...its not worth it. Get it?
Old 06-04-2006 | 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

ok then I take it the s-10 is still on a pedistal then? after all he did do a s-10. btw he doesn't start with million dollar car's he finishes with them. have you seen the prices the four gen zl1 and dick harrol's can get?
not tring to start a fight here just wanted to point out a couple point's
Old 06-04-2006 | 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyanJ
First of all...why the hell would Foose even LOOK at a 4th Gen. We should take our cars off the pedistal for a sec. Foose works on/CREATES million-dollar cars.

Second, I never said that "it" couldn't be done. It can, and obviously has. HOWEVER, no one from this board IMO is gonna just pick it up and make production quality fenders on the side. Someone could obviously make a body part for their car and use the molds or methods to do it...but its not that easy either. Let's take Whistler...there's probably a reason he's not selling that front end or some targa conversion...its not worth it. Get it?

No, I don't get it? Could ya please explain one more time. Relax ace, I nor anyone else that I recall except for you said anything about "production" fenders. I was talking about a one off or a limited type thing from a fiberglass mold in response to the blanket statement made about no one is ever going to be able to reproduce these. Obviously no one is going to put a steel die stamping machine in their garage. But I bet there is more than enough talent on this board for someone to make a mold a produce some fenders. If not on this board, I'll redirect you to some damn good fabricators on a few Composites boards I belong to. Tell them it can't be done.
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually whistler will do anything you want. ive spoken with him a few times and he told me how he charges and im getting a custom front kinda like the one he made and we've talked about fender flares. We are going to price them after i put my CCW 505a's on 19X12. We want to make sure that we dont go to far or not enough. Although this wont be for a while cuz i have to finish the engine and interior up first.
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=RyanJ]First of all...why the hell would Foose even LOOK at a 4th Gen. We should take our cars off the pedistal for a sec. Foose works on/CREATES million-dollar cars.

And to this well, he made a damn mustang. Why not look at a 4th gen. Theres nothing spectacular at all about the new mustang. But he sure as hell made a badass one. Im damn sure he could do the same thing with a 4th gen. Will he? probably not but just sayin.
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I emailed VFN and RK Sport about a possible DH style kit, waitin on their reply but im pretty sure its gonna be we are not currently developing kits and blah blah blah. But Im gonna harass any and every bodykit companies that sells bodykits for camaros.
Old 06-05-2006 | 09:58 AM
SSU Moderator

My response(s) are based on people saying "they are going to start making _______" just like in the other thread. Obviously someone can take the time and make a fender or whatever, W2W has done it more than once. However, if people are looking for something they can buy or a business they can drop their car off at, it probably wont happen. Can Whistler or someone make some fenders? SURE! My comments are based on the bloated over-hyped LSx market and threads like the other DH one. I'm calm, I think its funny when people think stuff will actually happen.

And Foose made a Mustang because someone at Ford or another company paid him to do so to hype the new body style. Obviously he will do what someone asks him to do and pays for, but I think its funny someone would bring up that caliber of builder when talking about Camaro's and Firebirds.
Old 06-05-2006 | 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

first off, the foam block thing is an awesome idea, and it works very well.

secondly, when i was at vfn over the winter, i did ask them if they could possibly work on the fenders, and front bumper, they replied with, in more than these 2 words, time and demand. if we make a petition or something, or somone contacts vfn personally with and actual car for reference, im sure 100% they would have little to no problem reproducing these fenders. it certianly isnt impossible, but as much as we all know there is a demand, it seems the manufacturers dont know. ****, some people dont even know what dick harrell car even is, thats half the trouble.

i say, if as many people are as serious about getting them as they sound, a petition or names of all the people who will buy,is in order for who has cash to buy these right now, if they were priced right, or who would have cash by the time they were finalized for sale. we would also need somone with a dick harell car so that we can get the most accurate reproduction possible. and that person would have to be ok with a cast being made of the fenders.

in anycase, count me in, lets get vfn involved if at all possible because we know they will do it if conditions are met and all, and lets get our dicks done right!

Quick Reply: Dick Harrell replacement fenders