Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dick Harrell replacement fenders

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dick Harrell replacement fenders

i was wanting to buy the Dick Harrell fenders for my camaro . I was wondering if they sold the fenders on any website or are they only made for on that car
Old 06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
SSU Moderator

Only made on the car. Some people have tried to make them or start making them or start to start to think about thinking about making them.

MAYBE you can convince a company to copy/imitate them. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-02-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup, he is right only way to get them is to own a harrel car, or know someone who does. I guess you could wait for an aftermarket piece, but they most likely will be pricey and not fit as well as stock.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the GMMG shop last week.

There is NO chance in hell of making a car similar.

They could GIVE YOU the body pieces and you'd still need to have a top notch (the best) shop to make it look right. No chance in hell is anybody going to do this in their garage, no matter how good you are.

It's an unGODly amount of work involved. Two shops that were bidding on the project back in the day have gone out of business because the costs were enormous.

Forget about it. Trust me.

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 06-02-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608

They could GIVE YOU the body pieces and you'd still need to have a top notch (the best) shop to make it look right. No chance in hell is anybody going to do this in their garage, no matter how good you are.

It's an unGODly amount of work involved. Two shops that were bidding on the project back in the day have gone out of business because the costs were enormous.

Well that's a pretty pessimisstic attitude. With enough skills, money and time it could be done. To make a blanket statement that NO ONE could ever do it
is just plain wrong and a bit judgemental on your part. Lots of talent on this board and I'd put money that if someone got motivated enough it could be done.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 06-02-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go read the 20 something page thread about this.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
Go read the 20 something page thread about this.

How 'bout a 2 or 3 line synopsis??
Old 06-02-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

No one does it yet - People really want it - Tons of R&D and bodywork to make look right - Unlikely as of yet who's going to take it on - Probably going to be pricey if/when they do come out
Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my hubby could do it, but he does have his own shop...LOL
Just from the crazy things he's done with the 3rd gen, I don't think there is anything he can't do to a car. Just wait til "Yellin' SS" comes alive
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by parbreak
Well that's a pretty pessimisstic attitude. With enough skills, money and time it could be done. To make a blanket statement that NO ONE could ever do it
is just plain wrong and a bit judgemental on your part. Lots of talent on this board and I'd put money that if someone got motivated enough it could be done.

Bryan
parbreak
If you saw what I did... you'd say the same thing. In fact, I thought I was being optimistic by saying that a top notch shop can get it.

Tell you what; Let others think it will work and let them try.

On my word of honor will pay $500 dollars to anyone who makes a kit that looks even REMOTELY similar. Yeah. ~Joshua
Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

If you saw what I did... you'd say the same thing. In fact, I thought I was being optimistic by saying that a top notch shop can get it.

Tell you what; Let others think it will work and let them try.

On my word of honor will pay $500 dollars to anyone who makes a kit that looks even REMOTELY similar. Yeah. ~Joshua
Sounds like a challenge. A good fiberglass shop with enough motivation could make a very similar fender. After all CMMG didn't just wish this thing out of thin air, someone had to fabricate them. You're going into the business, sounds like a good challenge for a motivated young man. Here's a hint to get you started:

Plug, mold, part. Give your fabricator something to do in his spare time
Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 PM
SSU Moderator

How 'bout a 2 or 3 line synopsis??
Here ya go.

1. Guy starts thread asking for interest in DH body parts. People reply in droves.
2. I say..."this will never happen" (mostly due to past instances of people talking before 'walking')
3. Guy moves, basically scraps project.

No, I'm not rubbing it in, but realize that it takes a REAL undertaking to do anything on a real production level. $$$$$$$$$$$, time, time, $$$$$, and sense it what it takes. Rarely does the common man (no matter how talented or finacially stable) have the means to do anything like this. Best bet is to leave it to shops already established. Compare what hoods are around vs. "used to be around." Like say..the 'sunoco' hood vs. the WS9. Great example.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

I couldn't take pictures (out of respect) but they right now have 3 cars in various stages of completion. If I was able to post photos with just a basic description of the man hours and skill involved, you'd understand what I'm talking about. Not to mention ovaling ALL the holes on the front end for alignment, and about 100 other tiny details in addition to the "norm."

BTW, it's not fiberglass, it's steel rears, fiberglass/steel reinforced fronts.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Here ya go.

1. Guy starts thread asking for interest in DH body parts. People reply in droves.
2. I say..."this will never happen" (mostly due to past instances of people talking before 'walking')
3. Guy moves, basically scraps project.

No, I'm not rubbing it in, but realize that it takes a REAL undertaking to do anything on a real production level. $$$$$$$$$$$, time, time, $$$$$, and sense it what it takes. Rarely does the common man (no matter how talented or finacially stable) have the means to do anything like this. Best bet is to leave it to shops already established. Compare what hoods are around vs. "used to be around." Like say..the 'sunoco' hood vs. the WS9. Great example.
You guys act like these fenders have to made by the hand of GOD himself. I'm not saying I could do it, but having some experience in fiberglassing and carbon fiber work, I do have an understanding of the process. Take a stock fender for the basic shape. Fabricate the "bulges" from styrofoam, clay or material of choice. Blend into stock fender as any good bodyman could do.
Coat entire piece with a high grade primer like Duratec and polish. Apply a tooking gelcoat and reinforce with fiberglass to make your mold. De-mold, polish the hell out of it and start casting pieces. Now all this does take considerable talent in various disciplines, but certianly NOT beyond the ability of some custom shops.

Bryan
Old 06-02-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

I couldn't take pictures (out of respect) but they right now have 3 cars in various stages of completion. If I was able to post photos with just a basic description of the man hours and skill involved, you'd understand what I'm talking about. Not to mention ovaling ALL the holes on the front end for alignment, and about 100 other tiny details in addition to the "norm."

BTW, it's not fiberglass, it's steel rears, fiberglass/steel reinforced fronts.

Didn't say their's was fiberglasss, I'm saying it could be made out of fiberglass for a fraction of the cost and for a fraction of the man hours and skill involved in shaping metal.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

Didn't say their's was fiberglasss, I'm saying it could be made out of fiberglass for a fraction of the cost and for a fraction of the man hours and skill involved in shaping metal.
Ok...
Old 06-02-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Ok...

Josh,

You're giving up that easily. Man I'm off work tonight and was up for a rousing debate Where's my quote for the STB, I'm trying to send you some money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

Josh,

You're giving up that easily. Man I'm off work tonight and was up for a rousing debate Where's my quote for the STB, I'm trying to send you some money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Pm will be sent shortly. ~Joshua
Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

I bet Chip Foose could make these things in a heart beat.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
I bet Chip Foose could make these things in a heart beat.
Or Chuck Norris...

Quick Reply: Dick Harrell replacement fenders