Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LOOK--Installing Custom Fuel Rail Covers- Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post LOOK--Installing Custom Fuel Rail Covers- Problems

Hey everyone, Ready to read a novel?? Get a beer!
Ok, I got some custom made fuel rail covers a while back from PARBREAK and have been so busy I havent had a chance to install them until last night. Well according to the directions that I followed- it was indeed a pain in the ***.

HERES THE PROBLEM- The car that they demonstrate on had traction control (mind did not) so automatically thats a problem, I figured "no big deal." You see if you dont have traction control, your clutch and throtle cable wrap up behind the engine to the drivers side and clip into a metal bracket just above the intake next to the fuel rail on the drivers side. Ok not a big deal, just unhook them right.... WRONG. The covers didnt have a spot cut out for the bracket (I did not know that until after I slid the cover under there and scracthed the hell out of the side) not a big deal- cant really see it, so I had to try and unbolt the bracket and throw it away however I didnt have the right socket to get way under there- finally i just bent the hell outta it and the cut it in half (after scraping the hell out of my hands and arms) Ok so I think I have the problem solved..... wrong again. The drivers side cover doesnt fit flush with the fuel rail in the back, and it is slightly forward due the to fact that its hitting something with my AIR and ERG system b/c I havent removed those. The directions talk about removing some metal clip (huh) on the fuel rail and removing the heat tape around your fuel lines (which I did)?? What metal clip, where? Could this be it and why its not sitting right- I've moved all the damn wires around to try and get it to sit right in the back- its just not working?? I can get the cover to clip onto the rail in the front but not in the back....it sits almost at an angle. Also I think its hitting my air pump way up in the back too- however Im not sure. Anyways, after bending and putting pressure on it to get it to work- it still doesnt fit- so thats the problem with the driver side.

Now about the passenger side.... I did this first before the drivers side and it still took me a while....UGH!!! So once again I had to bend my oil dip stick tube (bent it before for my Hotchkis STB) to get the cover to fit and I had to really bend the hell out of my AIR and ERG tube coming off my headers. The cover still wouldnt fit- I then reached under the windshield- uncliped my Air tube from the back of the engine where it ties in to the drivers side and pushed that back against the firewall and then had to lift up the 2" bundle of wires and move those around while sliding the cover under there. 45 Mins. later I finally got the thing in. Man, was that ever a pain in the ***!!!!!!!! As it sits now, the cover is installed but its brushing up against the AIR and EGR tubes.

My question to you- all mighty LS1 GODS , How can I fix the drivers side so it will sit flush like the passenger side?? Any ideas/INFO/ PICS would be greatly apprieciated. Afterall- $300 in customizing and paint, and I cant get them to sit right makes me not a happy guy!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE Oh and as you can see- I got a little carried away with the smilies/graphics, but It will happen.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not put covers on my car but I will send you info I find. Hopefully all those that have been there and done that will help you.
http://www.thecheckeredflagstore.com/frcs_install.php
I had a problem with my connection getting into this site, so hopefully you won't
http://projecttransam.com/ProjectDis...c&Search=False
The person who makes them also and allways is there to help when you buy his covers is called pontiacfan. Good luck
Old 06-04-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLEEPINGHAWK- I actually bought my covers from the checkered flagstore and used they're directions, and the Second link you posted I cant view either, but THANK YOU for your input and I look forward to hearing from you when you put yours in or anyone else who has or will do this also.
P.S.- Nice Hawk you got there, I've got the same plate up here in NY only mine is spelled a bit different- where'd you get your fuse/battery covers?

BUMP..... to the top- for anybody else?? Com'on somebody has to have had the same problem I had!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

The clip in the directions is the bracket you lovingly wrote of. I had to loosen the wires on the fuel rail and pull them down a bit to accomodate the FRCs correctly. I also removed the bracket, which may make a difference in the back part seating right. Didn't really have any issues after that with the driver's side seating correctly, though getting it past the fuel lines was annoying, not to mention the fact that I didn't know about the bracket before the install (got mine used). You probably need to bend the AIR tube a bit more is it's rubbing on the passenger side. After the headache getting them on, I kept them for a couple months then sold them. I realized I just preferred seeing the engine, and I didn't like dealing with the covers.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned

For one thing, you shouldn't have tried installing those covers if you still had the a.i.r. system in place.

You should've seen that there would be issues just looking at the clearance with the a.i.r. still on the manifolds.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks EvilBLK02TA . They came from checkered flag store.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
For one thing, you shouldn't have tried installing those covers if you still had the a.i.r. system in place.

You should've seen that there would be issues just looking at the clearance with the a.i.r. still on the manifolds.

Well Thanks, but its obviously too late Plus Nobody ever said anything about not installing them with the AIR- I didnt think it would be a problem since many people now have these covers, I was simply asked if I still had it on my car so appropriate cuts can be made. Anyways, The covers are installed(looks good), but I just have to mess around with the drivers side some more.

2002BLACKSS and FIREHAWK#608 Thanks for input-its always apprieciated.

And FIREHAWK- Whens the store opening up? Im getting ancy!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EvilBLK02TA
And FIREHAWK- Whens the store opening up? Im getting ancy!!!
This Friday's my last day of work at my day job before I go on my wedding leave/vacation to the Virgin Islands.

This should be ready asap once I get back. I'd hate to start this and not be able to answer questions or send stuff because I'm... busy

Hope you have better luck with my stuff. I just fit a new set of Corvette FRC's and I'm sending them back to the carbon fiber maker tomorrow to make a new mold based on my cuts.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

I have found very few people have problems installing these but for the ones who do, it's nothing a 2-3 minutes phone call on my dime or an email can't solve. This is the first I've heard of it. I am sorry you found so many frustrations installing what should be a very nice addtion to your engine compartment. And yes,Josh, they can be installed with the AIR pipes still in place, I've only done about 2 or 3 dozen of them first hand.

Anyone who knows me, knows I stand behind what I do and after 550 sets, I have a pretty good track record to stand on. If you have anymore concerns, you have my number and email, please feel free to use them and get the info straight from the horses mouth.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 06-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

I've seen pics of them installed with a.i.r., but with covers that nice I wouldn't risk in any way having a glitch.

parbreak, I actually copied the cuts that you do, but I'm going to have a disclaimer saying "Hell NO to a.i.r. if you're going to mount these."

Fo' rizzle. ~Joshua
Old 06-04-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

I'm one of the people who had the AIR still on when I installed mine, so they certainly will fit, it just takes a little coercion as I described before. Good luck. Parbreak was one of the people who helped me back when I had mine.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parbreak
I have found very few people have problems installing these but for the ones who do, it's nothing a 2-3 minutes phone call on my dime or an email can't solve. This is the first I've heard of it. I am sorry you found so many frustrations installing what should be a very nice addtion to your engine compartment. And yes,Josh, they can be installed with the AIR pipes still in place, I've only done about 2 or 3 dozen of them first hand.

Anyone who knows me, knows I stand behind what I do and after 550 sets, I have a pretty good track record to stand on. If you have anymore concerns, you have my number and email, please feel free to use them and get the info straight from the horses mouth.

Bryan
parbreak

Bryan, First I just wanna say thanks again for the covers. Second- Im not venting about how terrible the covers fit, Im just dissappointed in the directions as they dont specify with AIR and W/O traction control and the clip that I was having problems with where the throtle and clutch cables attach. I was going to send you an email if I couldnt resolve the situtaion myself and I was simply asking if anyone else have had the same problems as myself and what they did to rectify the problem, thats all.

In your directions you mention something about a metal clip on the coil pack? And I think my other problem is that I might be hitting the air tube in the back on the drivers side....the cover doesnt sit flush and its forward by about an inch compared to the passenger which leads me to belive this is the case. Any ideas??
Once again, THANKS and the covers truely are awesome and have been worth every penny!! And If I need anything, I'll get ahold of you- Trust me!

Quick Reply: LOOK--Installing Custom Fuel Rail Covers- Problems