Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting rust off of chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting rust off of chrome wheels

The backside of the barrels are pealing, and the rust is running down to the chrome.

I use Mothers since that is supposed to be about the best polish for chrome, but it just isn't enough to get these couple little rust stains out. What's the next step when Mothers isn't enough?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

"NEVR-DULL" its in a blue can and should work great
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

coke and tin foil... or is it steel wool? It was done by the guys on the discovery channel and it worked badass... Mythbusters...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Steel wool on chrome? Wouldnt one wrong move leave you with jacked up chrome?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

i think its coke and aluminum foil...i think...i forget, its been so long since i have seen that episode of mythbusters
Old 06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
FormerVendor

I saw that episode also, and they concluded that Coca-Cola and steel wool worked better than anything on the market. They did it to the front bumper of an old truck and it cleaned up very nice if I must say so myself.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

I heard SOS pads work great.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sos pads are a little too rough, might be ok for badly torn up things but I would not use them on faces.

Try chrome polish first, if that is not enough, then you can use 000 grade steel wool. I wouldn't go any higher than 00 grade. SOS pads are definitely higher grit than 00.

Take care not to use steel wool on chromed plastic. It's not real chrome and will scratch up.

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Steel wool on chrome? Wouldnt one wrong move leave you with jacked up chrome?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

(1slowss' gf btw) if it's really good chrome get the SUPER FINE steel wool and it won't scratch it because the chrome is harder than the steel wool but the rust is softer than it...it works we done it on the bike the other day
Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

im tellin ya "nevr-dull" should work fine w/o the risks of steel wool or any metal on metal contact... if u lived close by id give ya some
Old 06-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Teching In

I speak from experience DO NOT use Steel wool or SOS pads .. the little metal fibers penetrate the chrome and leave little bad spots on it after.. yes it cleans them Fabulously but it messes them up... I use mother chrome cleaner.. turtle wax chrome polish and alot of elbow grease..
Old 06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by presto_z
im tellin ya "nevr-dull" should work fine w/o the risks of steel wool or any metal on metal contact... if u lived close by id give ya some
that stuff is a wasted of money.

all it is is kerosine and cotton.

My friend bought it, and it hardly polished his weels good
Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are many different grades of steel wool, like sandpaper. 000 grade is extremely fine, and will not harm chrome with hand pressure. SOS pads are rather coarse and yes, I could see them harming chrome.

It's the same thing as working with paint really. Chrome polish should be enough, if it's not, then use 000 grade steel wool. Try to keep them up enough so chrome polish is all you ever need to use.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by illcul8troffcr
I speak from experience DO NOT use Steel wool or SOS pads .. the little metal fibers penetrate the chrome and leave little bad spots on it after.. yes it cleans them Fabulously but it messes them up...
You would do well to listen to this advice. This has been know in the aviation industry since WW2. The steel wool fibers embed microscopically into the base metal and cause it to rust even faster and deeper than before.

Even aluminum will do this after awhile, but not as quickly or as deeply. A very fine scotchbrite would be ideal.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
You would do well to listen to this advice. This has been know in the aviation industry since WW2. The steel wool fibers embed microscopically into the base metal and cause it to rust even faster and deeper than before.

Even aluminum will do this after awhile, but not as quickly or as deeply. A very fine scotchbrite would be ideal.
Yeah now that you mentioned it I remember reading a thread about this.. the steel fibers break off and rust leaving rust spots all over again.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the advice guys...even though you can't agree on much.

I just did a search on google, and the Mythbusters episode used cola and aluminum foil.

I wanna try that first just because it sounds fun. But I'm going to have to wait because my friends want my car so they can start tearing my tranny apart tomorrow and begin to rebuild it.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after using the 00 grade steel wool, use a claybar to remove any embedded particles.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

it was coke and aluminum foil
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LTSpeed

Yep unfortunately I tried it on my stainless steel tips and it worked wonders without messing anything up then I used it to get the black hard stuff out of the crevaces on my rims and it endedup digging and breaking off .. making all of the fibers show up under the chrome after a while .. so DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME haha .. I use Turtle wax polish ... some elbow grease.. and looks great..
Old 06-08-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow.....the coke and aluminum foil actually worked pretty damn well. Works much better than Mothers at getting the rust and caliper dust off.

I wish I wasn't so worthless and actually had a way to post before and after pictures for you guys.

Quick Reply: Getting rust off of chrome wheels