Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Rattlecan Repaint

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattlecan Repaint

OK this may sound a little cheesy, but I'm wondering has anyone ever repainted parts of their car with a Duplicolor rattle can? You know, like the front bumper cover, rear spoiler and such. My reasoning behind the thought is that if the blemished area is gonna need some repaint anyway, then why not experiment with it? Let me hear your experiences/opinions.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

ive used it on things like emblems, my lid, and a few other under hood things. my brother works at a body shop, so any time i need a panel painted, i have him do it
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

I think theres a guy on the forum with a red firebird and he rattlecanned one of his body panels and the damn thing matched perfectly and looked good. So I guess with a little luck you can get a good result although most people here will frown upon the idea of rattlecanning a car.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I think that rattle canning a body panal * 5 bucks worth of paint? * that doesn't match, untill you can get it professionaly repainted is a great idea.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

I did part of the front right bumper cover with Dupli-color nbm .....you can only tell if u really look in the right light...I will need a whole repaint down the road..some idiot touched my car with a grocery cart or whatever i think...small marks..my wife had to show me. Probably cost me 10 bucks altogether....fun doing it too. [ didn't really think it was gonna work out good at all ]
Old 06-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint on the front cover of my '94 LT1 beater looks like a$$.

I was thinking about rattle canning it. It's gotta look better than it does now.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608

I was thinking about rattle canning it. It's gotta look better than it does now.
Check out the Dupli-Color products....I was serious, mines pretty damn good.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I did part of the front right bumper cover with Dupli-color nbm .....you can only tell if u really look in the right light...I will need a whole repaint down the road..some idiot touched my car with a grocery cart or whatever i think...small marks..my wife had to show me. Probably cost me 10 bucks altogether....fun doing it too. [ didn't really think it was gonna work out good at all ]

What technique did you use to blend it in with the factory paint? I have a can of MMM basecoat in my garage because I have a big scuff on my rear bumper. I know it wont look perfect but it sure as hell would look better than it does now. I just never did it because I wasnt sure the best way to blend it, plus I would need to use clear over it. Im assuming the paint you used already had the gloss in it?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

I have a Sebring Silver Z with scuff marks and scratches all over it, some of the scratches are pretty deep.

Should I sand down the scratches first, prime it, rattle can it, wetsand it, and clearcoat it? Or could I get away with just spraypainting it and wetsanding and clearcoating?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
What technique did you use to blend it in with the factory paint? I have a can of MMM basecoat in my garage because I have a big scuff on my rear bumper. I know it wont look perfect but it sure as hell would look better than it does now. I just never did it because I wasnt sure the best way to blend it, plus I would need to use clear over it. Im assuming the paint you used already had the gloss in it?
hi---1..I sanded the bad part...2..lightly sanded an area surrounding this area..3..taped an even larger [but not much..2-4 " ] area surrounding all this..4..painted the bad spot over a couple times, and then lightly went a little farther [holding the can farther away]around that spot to try and blend it in..5..used Dupli-color clearcoat a couple times 6..polished the whole frontal area.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Cool thanks for the info man, you made that sound pretty easy. Ill have to give it a go in a weekend and see what kind of results I can get. Im sick and tired of seeing this scrape down to the primer, makes the whole car look ugly. lol
Old 06-08-2006, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

http://www.duplicolor.com/training/a..._training.html
Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the link Brian!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608

That's the main idea of it. I mean, if you do some proper prep and laid the paint down and maybe wetsand and buff it out, it should look decent.

Quick Reply: Rattlecan Repaint