Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

where can I get a clear license plate cover(T/Am) w/out paying $50!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HRvat350
VIP1! Glad to see someone agrees with me! We all have paid high $$$ for our mods, etc....but that 50 bucks for that and they could not even do free shipping???? but now need to make even more $$ by charging 6 bucks for that......It is a piece of plastic..VIP1 your right! Here is case and point...WEST COAST COVETTES sells the same type of cover for the C5 & C6 CORVETTES SINCE IT HAS THE SAME FRONT RECESSED PLATE
HOLDER AS THE TRANS AM DOES.... Now the corvette costs 45,000??? or so and west c corvete is not a cheap place to buy anything, they only carry the best stuff for your vette...IT COSTS $19.99 there! So it's CLEAR that it's how much money a vendor wants to make here and if they monopolize the product!...more power to them there just not going to see my 56 bucks!
It's expensive, but it's a fair price. This piece isn't "mass produced".. it's made for a 4-5 year old car that is now discontinued due to poor sales. Plus, it's a part that very few people need. Most roll without a front plate, or if they have a front plate they don't use the clear cover.

People need to realize that one of the benefits of buying a T/A is that not many people have them. On the flip side, that means you pay more for parts.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Buying a clear front cover was one of the cheapest things I ever did for my T/A - and I haven't even got around to doing the bird light up yet - figured I'd get the cover before they don't carry them any more like so many other T/A items.

The cost reflects the up front engineering costs - getting a mold made, etc. couple this with the cost of mfg. each cover, and the fact they probably only sell MAYBE 50 max of these per year - drives the cost to the consumer up - if they were selling/making these in batches of thousands upon thousands per year - the cost would come down. Then you also have the fact that there is really only (1) vendor out there for these - they can pretty much charge what they like as there is no competition - if you want one - you'll pay their asking price. Same story as everything else out there in the world for sale.

The vette covers are probably cheaper due to the fact that they are still making the vette so there is more demand and they can recoup their up front costs by selling higher quantities.

So basically - if you want one - you're gonna pay the $56 - if that's too high, well then, I guess you ain't gettin' one.

I would kinda like to have a Ferrari instead of a T/A - but no way would I pay what they want - so I don't have one
Old 06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Teching In

gOOD POINT
Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, can't believe one, that this post made it to 2 pages, and two the I actually read, the whole thing. LOL man, I wish I could still get mods for my ride at 56.00 bucks.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Teching In

but is this really a "Mod" in that sense? I never thought this would make 2 pages let alone one reply! lol
Old 06-19-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I guess we're all assuming that the reason you would want a clear cover is either to keep the clean front lines if you must run a front plate - or to do the light up bird mod.

First reason really isn't a mod - 2nd definitely is
Old 06-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Teching In

is for the first reason ONLY to just keep the front lines......
Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know where I could buy a red front license plate cover. I dont mind paying 56 bucks.. or anything close to that.. Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

brising,
Go to www.afterthoughtauto.com
Really good products. I have purchased the clear cover and love it. Fits just like the factory one.
Kenny
Old 06-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

i went to the site but they dont have any red painted ones? Does anyone have one painted red that they dont need?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

If you want one that is already painted red, then you'll have to try your luck on ebay, or scour the junkyards. Most places that sell them new, sell them primered and you paint it yourself.
You could buy the clear one, and then just rattle can it yourself, on the inside.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:01 PM

How do u run ur fog lights with ur headlapms down please any idea
Some one told me if i would just turn the headlamp **** once and then the fogs swich but right away when i turn on headlapms they pup up
Old 10-01-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ezrafirebird2000
How do u run ur fog lights with ur headlapms down please any idea
Some one told me if i would just turn the headlamp **** once and then the fogs swich but right away when i turn on headlapms they pup up
Why would you post this here?
A mod needs to move this to the headlight gear thread. You've got a stripped gear. Look up the thread, it's a sticky in one of the sections.

Quick Reply: where can I get a clear license plate cover(T/Am) w/out paying $50!!