Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting SS hood and spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting SS hood and spoiler?

Okay so I bought an SS hood and spoiler for my car. I went to the dealership and asked for a quote and how it would turn out. The painter said the chances of matching the hood were not very good, due to the car being light pewter metallic. He said the flake in the paint wouldn't match up. Now I always had thought it was as easy as just getting the paint code and then installing them on the car. Well he said if they don't match up he'll just blend the fenders down to the molding. I guess my question is, what are other peoples experiences with painting and getting things to match? Because I had always thought that pewter might be easy to match especially with the technology we have today.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LastPewterZ
Okay so I bought an SS hood and spoiler for my car. I went to the dealership and asked for a quote and how it would turn out. The painter said the chances of matching the hood were not very good, due to the car being light pewter metallic. He said the flake in the paint wouldn't match up. Now I always had thought it was as easy as just getting the paint code and then installing them on the car. Well he said if they don't match up he'll just blend the fenders down to the molding. I guess my question is, what are other peoples experiences with painting and getting things to match? Because I had always thought that pewter might be easy to match especially with the technology we have today.
Probably shouldn't have gone to the dealer... they'll tell you that BS so they can charge more for the blend.

If my NBM car and my Mystic Teal car match by just going off the paint codes Pewter shouldn't be a problem...

I've heard that MRM (or whatever that Burgandy color is) can be a problem only because there are two different versions (by accident).
Old 06-21-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

My buddy's dad is a painter/body man and he also said that pewter was one of the hardest colors to match. However, the rear bumper of my car has been repainted twice and has matched perfectly both times, so it can't be THAT hard.

The dealership is just BSing you because there's a reason they call them "stealerships". Go to some other paint shop place.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

It all depends on the current condition of you car's paint. If the paint is in good shape, you'll be fine just taking those pieces to an experienced painter and let him at it.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

The dealer is telling you the truth. Pewter and silver are 2 of the HARDEST paints to match due to the metallic content and the fact that both have black mixed in with them (believe it or not). Why does this matter. The black content gives the paint it's shade or hue and if the paint is layed on too heavy it will be darker and more metallic than the adjacent panels. If it's layed on too thin, it will be lighter than adjacent panels. It can be layed on by the most adept painter and still not match perfectly due to outside factors(humidity on the day it was shot, air pressure not matching air pressure of original paint, too much/too little reducer compared to original paint).

Take that painter's advice and let him blend into the adjacent panels or you WILL be disappointed. Or take these guys advice and just let him paint the items and kick yourself later when you see a distinct difference in direct sunlight. Pewter is DEATH!!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done. Don't let them BS you.

BTW, hardest color to match is white.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

all metallic colors will be hard to match. my dad's friend has been painting cars for like 25 years and he still has trouble matching metallic colors like pewter. It can be done with a lot of work though. Good Luck
Old 06-21-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your basically SOL, kind of like when we have to go pick this hood up in east st louis without getting shot or robbed. haha.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by parbreak
The dealer is telling you the truth. Pewter and silver are 2 of the HARDEST paints to match due to the metallic content and the fact that both have black mixed in with them (believe it or not). Why does this matter. The black content gives the paint it's shade or hue and if the paint is layed on too heavy it will be darker and more metallic than the adjacent panels. If it's layed on too thin, it will be lighter than adjacent panels. It can be layed on by the most adept painter and still not match perfectly due to outside factors(humidity on the day it was shot, air pressure not matching air pressure of original paint, too much/too little reducer compared to original paint).

Take that painter's advice and let him blend into the adjacent panels or you WILL be disappointed. Or take these guys advice and just let him paint the items and kick yourself later when you see a distinct difference in direct sunlight. Pewter is DEATH!!
That makes since (when you want a dark silver you lay black first, when you want a light silver you lay white first)...

How much will the dealership charge?
Old 06-21-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
That makes since (when you want a dark silver you lay black first, when you want a light silver you lay white first)...

How much will the dealership charge?

No idea how much dealer will charge and I'm in no way suggesting that you have the dealer do it, only that you take his advice and make sure that whoever does it blends into adjacent panels especially the hood. Spoiler you may get away without blending into the hatch simply because it sits up off that surface rather than lying directly next to it.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Go to a place that just does paint & body work. Most good ones have a unit like a camera, that they put on the paint and it gives them the exact mix to match the paint.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C.J.
your basically SOL, kind of like when we have to go pick this hood up in east st louis without getting shot or robbed. haha.
Good luck with that. We had a lineup of 3 pretty nice F-bodies get lost in East St. Louis on the way to Gateway one night. We were all scared shitless.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

When I had my SOM SS Hood painted they had to blend the front bumper and side fenders.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
When I had my SOM SS Hood painted they had to blend the front bumper and side fenders.
BTW it was the top body shop in town.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Well me and C.J. are going to pick it up on Tuesday so I'll have to see how it fits before anything, but thank you to everyone who responded. It helps alot, I'll be sure to post pics when it's all done.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

I think some of you guys are mixing up terms color matching and blending. If you have the code, any paint shop can "color match" the paint or as said above if you have a swatch or they can scan it in to get a match. That's one thing. Blending is a WHOLE different topic and does not relate to color matching other than assuming that you've mixed up the right color paint. Even with the EXACT mix, metallics can still lay down to look different on adjacent panels by even the most experienced painters for the reasons I outlined above(air pressure, reducer amount, distance from gun to surface, etc. ,etc., etc.) What blending into the adjacent panels does is "trick" the eye into seeing a perfect match by not have a distinct line between the new paint and the old paint but rather "blending" the new into the old so it is not
so obvious. This is why I say the dealer's painter in the original post is absolutely correct in the case that the hood should be blended into the front quarter panels. Whether you choose to have the dealer do it or not is irrelevant, any painter should do that on a color like Light Pewter Metallic or any silver color as well as other metallics, pearls, etc.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for PWETER being the hardest to match. Buy the paint form the dealer according to your vin # and have a reputable shop paint/blend it in.

Sometimes you can trust a reputable shop to get the paint for you but just be sure you trust them.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Damn just reading all this makes me not want to buy a SS hood.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Damn just reading all this makes me not want to buy a SS hood.
Its common practice and not a big deal. If there was no blend(the cheap way) it'd look like ***
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does any one have pics of their **** being painted w/o the blending?

Quick Reply: Painting SS hood and spoiler?