Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Picked up a duplicolor caliper painting kit...should I clearcoat over it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 03:25 PM
Launching!

Default Picked up a duplicolor caliper painting kit...should I clearcoat over it?

Like the title says, I bought this kit from my local autoparts store. I have new brembo rotors and hawk pads coming in the mail sometime this week, and figured why not paint the calipers while I was at it. I've heard that the Duplicolor kit turns out pretty nice looking results. I want my calipers to look smooth and shiny when they're done. Should I pick up some clearcoat to go over the Duplicolor kit?
Old 07-05-2006 | 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/535823-i-ve-been-little-busy.html

The calipers were done with the Duplicolor kit, the brackets with VHT spray paint. I sanded both with 120 (to remove casting flash), then 220, 400 (wet), and 600 (wet). They turned out great. Clearcoating them might not be a bad idea, since the paint seems kind of brittle. I haven't had a chance to drive with them painted yet, but even just moving them around to swap out the pads and rotors resulted in a couple small chips.

-Mike
Old 07-05-2006 | 03:35 PM
Teching In

hmm i dunno i also did the duplicolor kit and i did many coats i did both the calipers and brackets until the can was almost empty i would say maybe 5 coats each and i never cleared mine and they are very shiney. i have also removed the calipers and brakets to install new rotors and have had no chipping or anything, maybe u didnt do enough coats. mine have been done for a few months now and look brand new, like i did them yesterday! so clearing is up to u
Old 07-05-2006 | 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used VHT caliper paint on my brackets and they turned out great. They have been on and off the car several times over the past year and they are still holding up really well. Not a chip yet
Old 07-05-2006 | 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cascadesys
Like the title says, I bought this kit from my local autoparts store. I have new brembo rotors and hawk pads coming in the mail sometime this week, and figured why not paint the calipers while I was at it. I've heard that the Duplicolor kit turns out pretty nice looking results. I want my calipers to look smooth and shiny when they're done. Should I pick up some clearcoat to go over the Duplicolor kit?

No need to clearcoat them, the Duplicolor should work out great for you..however if you are worried about chips/scratches, try using POR15 on them...that stuff is indistructable!!
Old 07-05-2006 | 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you guys sand yours at all before painting them? I'm wondering if I sanded them too smooth and am not getting good mechanical adhesion. The chips are really small, but I know they're there.

-Mike
Old 07-06-2006 | 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I sanded my brackets some but not completely smooth. I did sand the calipers smooth because I was planning on polishing them but I painted them instead. Several coats of paint and some clear and they haven't chipped
Old 07-06-2006 | 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, don't clear them. You can't layer that paint after it dry's. It will start to loosen and come off. its made with a brake dust blocker that is supposed to keep them clean and resist damage. Good luck, I prefer the G2 paint kit they sell at Tire Rack

Quick Reply: Picked up a duplicolor caliper painting kit...should I clearcoat over it?