Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Why do people do rear seat deletes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just yanked the seats and left it. Looks raw, as it should.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Red01SS, how in the heck does that NOT give you more room?? You have a complete, flat space all the way across. So, the dog could lay down comfortably without being awkwardly positioned in the two humps. I prefer using it for groceries, it is much easier to lay everything across a nice flat space and not having to worry about the dips and humps.
But I am saying that its no more room than just laying the rear seat down...
Old 08-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=01bird58]I removed mine to subtract the weight and so I can use it as an excuse so I dont have to haul people around (which has worked several times)
QUOTE]

thats exaclty why I took mines out
Old 08-23-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

i think it looks awesome with just them taken out.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

I'm thinking about taking mine out. I hate having people ride in my car. But if I ever do take them out, I'm not going to place a box in their place...
Old 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM

i am not fond of rear seet deletes
Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

I took them out, but then from people complaining their asses were getting burnt, I put the bottom parts back in and everyone says there is a lot more room in there and more comfortable. And w/ at least the bottom part in, it still looks pretty decent.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

i didn't feel like reading 3 pages of this. I am still in college and my main reason to do it was to get rid of those ******* moochers that are always asking for a ride. This way I can only give a max of 1 other person a ride and since I usually have a girl in that seat it eliminates all possibilities of some douchebag moocher ruining my chances of getting *** because of certain remarks he might make about my past hookups or just being a dipshit in general. Also it looks better in my opinion and with my smoothed interior panels in I don't want people scratching that **** up. And yes I'm working on saving up to buy a DD, I just sold my V6 firebird, got $2500 from that, gonna save up some more so I can get a decent DD.

!MOOCHER=best mod ever
Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
i didn't feel like reading 3 pages of this. I am still in college and my main reason to do it was to get rid of those ******* moochers that are always asking for a ride. This way I can only give a max of 1 other person a ride and since I usually have a girl in that seat it eliminates all possibilities of some douchebag moocher ruining my chances of getting *** because of certain remarks he might make about my past hookups or just being a dipshit in general. Also it looks better in my opinion and with my smoothed interior panels in I don't want people scratching that **** up. And yes I'm working on saving up to buy a DD, I just sold my V6 firebird, got $2500 from that, gonna save up some more so I can get a decent DD.

!MOOCHER=best mod ever

Well, maybe you should have been more of a gentleman.. HA, that's the best part of being a friend is to try to screw it up for them. Come on. Who hasn't done that before? Unless you really care about the girl does it matter? If she gets pissed and leaves its still funny. I mean my friends still make fun of me about this one girl I told them a story about, and it was 10 years ago. Every time the girl is around, still a mutual friend of others, they say all kinds of stuff.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

I also plan on doing some very clean stock looking customizing when i redo my box. Nothing to add any weight or any stereo stuff. But I will make sure I show you guys when I get it done.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

i like the box that opened to store stuff, you can easily hide stuff you dont want thieves to see, great idea
Old 08-23-2006, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

I'll be building an amp rack where my seats used to be as to keep them out of plain view in the hatch. And I think it just looks great there. !Mooch.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Staff- you've got a point, but nonetheless, it's still annoying to haul a bunch of people around
Old 08-24-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Red 01SS
This does not look like it will give you any more room in the back....

Well no disrespect to whomever owns/uses that one, but if you knocked off about 3-4 inches of height so that it was "just" over the trans hump, it would give ME and MY dog a ton of extra room over folding down the rear seats. IF I buy/build/whatever one, it will not be anywhere near that tall. Just enough to clear the hump & that is it!
Originally Posted by zo6vette037
I dont know about anyone else, but I like this for three reasons.
1. Our dog goes everywhere with us so its better for him.
2. For all the married people out there who grocery shopping, you have way more room.
3.Nice place to store tools, air compressor, helmet, etc. when you go to the track, and easy to unload when you get there.

[QUOTE=LS1TechRulez]
Originally Posted by 01bird58
I removed mine to subtract the weight and so I can use it as an excuse so I dont have to haul people around (which has worked several times)
QUOTE]

thats exaclty why I took mines out
Another fine reason but according to some genius here, that is "homo" to use his or her words. People presume that if there are seats, they can be sat in.........and if you car is lowered at all or has custom exhaust (mine had true duals for years and could barely take one passenger let alone 3) it would be perfect, then there is no arguing about whether or not the car can hold them.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rott, I agree with you. If it were "just" over the hump then I can see how it would give you more room....
Old 11-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Launching!

I haven't done it but would like to as a place to hide my amps on one side and random junk on the other. That back bench weighs almost 50lbs right? A few pieces of wood slapped together isn't going to be more then 10-15 lbs so that's a good loss right there.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackrat
That back bench weighs almost 50lbs right?
Try 5. It is a plastic frame with foam and outer material.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I prefer to leave the seats in. But, there was a time I had to remove the rear seats in my blue Formula.

1. It had a 6-pt rollbar in it, and the rear seat would no longer fold forward since it would hit the rollbar.
2. I had to carry two drag slicks and two runners, a floor jack, tools etc... in the hatch with me to the track. That stuff wouldn't fit in the car without the rear seats removed, since it couldn't fold down anymore.

Other than that, the seats stayed in.

On the silver Formula drag car, I cut off the two metal lower seat brackets under the carpet and put down aftermarket carpet without any holes. It looked smooth and clean back there with no seats. You can also cut those off and sew up the holes in the factory carpet and it would also look nice.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
On the silver Formula drag car, I cut off the two metal lower seat brackets under the carpet and put down aftermarket carpet without any holes. It looked smooth and clean back there with no seats.
I like that idea much better... Removes the weight but looks clean .

Originally Posted by blackrat
That back bench weighs almost 50lbs right? A few pieces of wood slapped together isn't going to be more then 10-15 lbs so that's a good loss right there.
Ummm... I would bet money that the back buckets and rear piece are nowhere near 50lbs... MAYBE 40lbs. with ALL the seatbelt hardware but that is a BIG maybe...
Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe the entire rear seat weighs something like 18 lbs total.

Quick Reply: Why do people do rear seat deletes???