Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Insurance Question and new paint job maybe

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Insurance Question and new paint job maybe

I got into a little accident on Saturday night that was my fault, the side of my car is not looking to bad, there was some paint from the other car along my passenger side, but most of it buffed out. There is still a little damage to the clearcoat but we will see what I can do. The rear quarter panel also has a nice dent in it. The other car on the other hand has a nicely dented front bumper. I know the person that owns the other car, so I am not sure what I am going to do about it. This would be my first insurance claim so I am just wondering how much my insurance would go up. I can probably get a new paint job out of the deal and a new rear quarter panel, and not have to pay for a new bumper on the other car but idk is it worth it in the long run with my insurance.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just call them up and discuss it with them. Since you are not in danger of being sued or violating any laws like a hit and run, the insurance company will have no problem telling you what the trade-off is.

Insurance hikes usually aren't a big problem with a single incident like this. The problem would be if you get in another wreck or get a ticket, something like that.

If you're talking fixing a dent in your rear quarter, doing full paint on at least 3-4 panels, you are probably staring down a couple grand pretty fast.

Unless you are very accident prone you will probably be better off using your insurance.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well in the past two months I got a ticket for running a stop sign, another for speeding 11 mph over, and now this. I guess I just can't catch a break lately.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear man. What is your deductible? I would go and get 2-3 different estimates for the repair. I would hold off on calling your insurane right away until you figure out what you are going to do. If you do, they might just automatically open a claim and then it will be out there for 5 years. If you do claim the accadent through your insurance, there will be a surcharge on your policy, regardless if you change companies for 5 years. Just have to decide if it's worth paying out of pocket to get it fixed or making a claim.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Teching In

I am an insurance agent for a national company, If you call they have to at least make a notation on your account, they cannot surcharge you for it unless they payout, and then in most states there is a threshold, usually 750, if the claim is less than that you can not be charged. If you can afford to fix both cars do it. The surcharge is not the only thing you have to worry about, it can also change your tiering.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the person I hit insists on me turning it in to my insurance company, even though the damage is not a lot to either vehicle she wants it done that way. So I guess I go along with that since it was clearly my fault. Now my question is since I am going to turn her car in to get fixed is it going to make any difference if I get mine fixed this route too.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1FASTZ28
Well in the past two months I got a ticket for running a stop sign, another for speeding 11 mph over, and now this. I guess I just can't catch a break lately.
It happens when you have 1 fast z28, and by the way if your talking about having to have your quater replaced, thats a few K right there.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well I either have to replace it or just live with the dent being pulled and probably still be able to see a few ripples.

Quick Reply: Insurance Question and new paint job maybe