Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

So who can help me get a LOAD of tar off of my car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The least expensive and pehaps most effective will be to use kerosene, which should be both effective and safe. As with anything, try a small area first, and let the chemical dissolve the tar first, rather than using harsh rubbing, which WOULD scratch.

When I was cleaning up new cars shipped overseas on container ships years ago, we'd wash the greasy preservative off the car with kerosene, and no damage to paint ever occurred.

After kerosene, be sure to wash the residue off with a degreaser, like liquid dish detergent, preferably liquid Ivory. it'll remove any greasy residue, and not leave oils like a detergent with hand softener. (Don't use Palmolive). Then wash with car wash and do a full wax, as ALL the wax will come off with the kerosene and dish detergent.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by presto_z
i bet a lawyer could get all that tar off for ya.. and prolly a paintjob too
( EXACTLY ) A friend of mine just bought a black ZO6 and he was sprayed by rocks from a truck. They are paying for a complete $5500 paint job. Good luck
Old 09-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goo Gone works pretty well, and should be safe on your paint. My friend had tar on his 96 from 8 years of driving and it just melted all of the tar away.

Quick Reply: So who can help me get a LOAD of tar off of my car?