Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: What would you do?
You get what you pay for and he did you a good deal
23.53%
Hell no, you got screwed go roid rage an his ass and make him redo it!!!
76.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

painter screwed me. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the support guys. The pics really dont do it any injustice. The drips are very noticeable and along the back lip the paint is very very rough. i think he over wetsanded it. im just pissed because he wetsanded the fenders too and didnt polish them out and told me to put some wax on there and the haze and the swirls will come out. i have an orbital laying around though so ill just polish it out myself.

I wish i could get better pics of that off color spot, it looks terrible. But i called my buddy and told him about it and he stopped by and talked to the painter and he said just bring it by monday or tuesday and hell see what he can do. so well see.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WayFast84
I hate to be harsh

but..

Get over it, it could have been much worse, you get what you pay for and if you want things done right you either pay for it or do it your self, I hope this teaches you a lesson on where you bring your car for paint. Heres something you should read..http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9327
are you ******* kidding me? sorry to be harsh. 99.9% of people on this board would NEVER, EVER, let that **** stand, and the fact that your advising somone to just " get over it" proves how much you must not care for your car. Free, cheaper than normal or not, that doesnt make it ok to **** someone over, and cutting his losses and just dealing with it, would be flat out stupid.
heres something you should read http://www.sptimes.com/News/110200/N...as_you_w.shtml
Old 10-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
are you ******* kidding me? sorry to be harsh. 99.9% of people on this board would NEVER, EVER, let that **** stand, and the fact that your advising somone to just " get over it" proves how much you must not care for your car. Free, cheaper than normal or not, that doesnt make it ok to **** someone over, and cutting his losses and just dealing with it, would be flat out stupid.
heres something you should read http://www.sptimes.com/News/110200/N...as_you_w.shtml
HAHAHA

**** some one over? thats not being fucked over..

he's lucky it didnt just sit around for a few months waiting to get done, then the job looking like **** for more money..

when you get **** painted or any other big job's you dont go to some one because your buddy has a guy that owes him a favor..

you get what you pay for. and I doubt the painter will do a damn thing about it with out charging.

Painters arnt busness men, their painters...
Old 10-14-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is ridiculous. If he fucked up the paint and charged you money, that doesn't fly. Whenever I cut people big discounts at work I STILL give them my best, and help them out as if they were paying twice what they're paying. It's called taking pride, and if he didn't do it he needs to fix it.

Since you acted like you were cool with it, I'm not sure if he'll fix it though.

Just don't go apeshit all over him, be polite about it.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jebcamaro
$400 is cheap. If you paid 400 just to have the spoiler painted would be a fair price. I`d take the car back and get him to touch up the chip and finish polishing out the paint.
400 to paint a spoiler is cheap? I had one painted for $100 bucks a while back and it was flawless. Take that thing back and get it right. If he won't do it carry the car to a reputable painter have them look at it, get an estimate on what it will cost to fix it and go to small claims court if you have to. I've had several bad experiences with painters and it really pisses me off whenever I see anyone have this problem. It's hard to find a good painter, but if you do, stick with them. I've found out with with paint you get what you research for.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67SS&99Z28
400 to paint a spoiler is cheap? I had one painted for $100 bucks a while back and it was flawless. Take that thing back and get it right. If he won't do it carry the car to a reputable painter have them look at it, get an estimate on what it will cost to fix it and go to small claims court if you have to. I've had several bad experiences with painters and it really pisses me off whenever I see anyone have this problem. It's hard to find a good painter, but if you do, stick with them. I've found out with with paint you get what you research for.
He didnt only have a spoiler painted just to let you know.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WayFast84
Painters arnt busness men, their painters...
All the painters I know are buisness men, simply because word of mouth my friend. You get a poor job done by a guy, then go on a local forum and tell people to steer clear, then they tell their friends to steer clear, and etc. Guess what, our painter friend no longer paints. But hey, those are just the good painters I suppose...
Old 10-14-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

$400 isn`t cheap? Well, considering good quality red paint runs around $125 a quart, I`d say that was cheap to get all of what he had done for that price. I`ve been screwed by body shop guys as well. They can easily pull the wool over your eyes and get away with it.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
All the painters I know are buisness men, simply because word of mouth my friend. You get a poor job done by a guy, then go on a local forum and tell people to steer clear, then they tell their friends to steer clear, and etc. Guess what, our painter friend no longer paints. But hey, those are just the good painters I suppose...
Thanks for backing me up, and thats what i thought too. I thought most painters took pride in their work. because everybody sees your car and if it looks awesome they want to know who did it, and if it looks like *** they wanna know who to avoid.

And wayfast84, did you even read my original post? the guy told me he was the best. I specifically stated, i wasnt extremely worried about the money. i wanted it done right! my buddy said this guy was the best and hell also do a great job! I also dont consider getting what i paid for with a half *** wetsanding job and not polishing out, leaving me with more swirls than the rest of the car had before. And im lucky it didnt sit around for 4 months waiting to be done? I dont know what the hell kind of business your running but that would be ridiculous even if i only paid him $20 dollars, i didnt beat him into the deal he said no problem id be happy to do it for 250, then said 425, i didnt care! he did me a favor. unfortuneately i got **** back for it.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NxLS1496
Thanks for backing me up, and thats what i thought too. I thought most painters took pride in their work. because everybody sees your car and if it looks awesome they want to know who did it, and if it looks like *** they wanna know who to avoid.

And wayfast84, did you even read my original post? the guy told me he was the best. I specifically stated, i wasnt extremely worried about the money. i wanted it done right! my buddy said this guy was the best and hell also do a great job! I also dont consider getting what i paid for with a half *** wetsanding job and not polishing out, leaving me with more swirls than the rest of the car had before.
Shouldn't you be pissed at your buddy then, instead of the painter? The painter did a pretty damn good job of filling the holes and blendin the paint, that's $400 right there. You got what you paid for, but I'd still go back and ask him what he could do about it. If he's a good painter, he'll be more than happy to make it right. If not, that's just how it goes. I'd personally be taking my anger out on the person who suggested someone that does work like that.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Shouldn't you be pissed at your buddy then, instead of the painter? The painter did a pretty damn good job of filling the holes and blendin the paint, that's $400 right there. You got what you paid for, but I'd still go back and ask him what he could do about it. If he's a good painter, he'll be more than happy to make it right. If not, that's just how it goes. I'd personally be taking my anger out on the person who suggested someone that does work like that.
I already called him . he was really shocked and called the painter for me and said the guy was cool about it and would probably fix it. And if not, oh well i can live with it. i just learned a hard lesson. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hope you get it straightened out but it always sucks to learn lessons like this.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

I think everyone is kind of making a big deal of this. There was no "lesson". I saw the photos, and for the most part it was a decent enough job. Some minor imperfections, that's all. The only thing the stood out from looking at the pics was the tiny chip, and the excess paint drop section. Take it back and discuss. Don't be hard on yourself, as this sort of thing can happen anywhere and anytime. There are no guarantees that we are going to get a 100% perfect product or service, this is why you just go back and voice your concerns if not completely happy. For the most part, it looks fine though so don't let your blood boil too high.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's not only one lesson, but two, if someone recommends a painter to be "the best" and the painter does that kind of a job. The lesson being two-fold: a) don't listen to your friend anymore, and b) do your research before trusting a complicated job like that to someone who won't take the time to do it 100%.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NxLS1496
I already called him . he was really shocked and called the painter for me and said the guy was cool about it and would probably fix it. And if not, oh well i can live with it. i just learned a hard lesson. Thanks for your input.
If the guy screwed it up the first time I sure as hell wouldn't take it back to him... Chalk it up to a lesson learned and take it to a better shop...

Besides, to be honest, if the quarters are good and just need a polishing to get rid of the haze that's worth $400 right there...

I paid $275 to have my bumper re-sprayed, it's crap... Lesson learned, went somewhere else for my SS spoiler.

I paid $200 JUST for the spoiler to be painted... It looks INCREDIBLE!!!

Just go get your spoiler repainted somewhere and you'll be good to go !
Old 10-15-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i worked at a dealer, we dealt with an awesome body shop,
i knew the owner, real cool guy,

i told him i wanted an ss spoiler, what would he charge,
he said 200 tops,
and their work is top of the line, !!
friends cars have been fixed there, moms, sisters and g/fs

i would be pissed if you paid 400 bucks and got ****,

thats like reg. price
Old 10-15-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

take it back i would be **** if i got that back. Doesn't matter if it cost 400 or 600 you should still get a good paint job.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Other than the spot of orange and the chip, the rst of the "imperfections" can be sanded out (the run) and the buffer marks(swirls) can also be fixed.

No big deal.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Teching In

To be blunt...that looks like hammered ****! No painter should have let that go looking like that. You can't buff out runs, The rear lip is very thin on clear, and that orange spot is more than likely bad prep work that will not be able to be fixed without repainting. I would take it to him and ask for some money back, take it somewhere else and pay for the kind of work you want. Getting a good deal should not mean getting a **** job! Just my 02.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
If the guy screwed it up the first time I sure as hell wouldn't take it back to him... Chalk it up to a lesson learned and take it to a better shop...

Besides, to be honest, if the quarters are good and just need a polishing to get rid of the haze that's worth $400 right there...

I paid $275 to have my bumper re-sprayed, it's crap... Lesson learned, went somewhere else for my SS spoiler.

I paid $200 JUST for the spoiler to be painted... It looks INCREDIBLE!!!

Just go get your spoiler repainted somewhere and you'll be good to go !
Hey, whats up man! sorry i didnt pm you with pics after i got my spoiler installed, i was too embarrassed to brag about pics with it being dirty and a lowsy paint job. But i am another satisfied "thespoilercompany" customer. it fits perfect! just like oem. the only thing i dont like is the padding between the spoiler and the body. why do they say to use that? it makes it not fit as flush with the trunk. ill take some nicer pics and make a thread once i get this all straightened out. As for the price, yeah it would have been at least 400 for just the fenders. i should be greatfull for the price but at the same time i agree with stuckinbaghdad about the price not being an issue, he should have gave his best whether he was doing it for 20 bucks or for 1000 bucks. unfortuneately the world doesnt work like that and you have to pay an exhorbitant amount of money or really twist peoples arms to get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by StuckInBaghdad
To be blunt...that looks like hammered ****! No painter should have let that go looking like that. You can't buff out runs, The rear lip is very thin on clear, and that orange spot is more than likely bad prep work that will not be able to be fixed without repainting. I would take it to him and ask for some money back, take it somewhere else and pay for the kind of work you want. Getting a good deal should not mean getting a **** job! Just my 02.
bwahaha, "hammered ****", thats great ive hever heard that. It sucks because the only parts that really bothered me are the drips and orangish part. your right, it prolly was poor prep work. but im extremely upset because when i picked it up he had no other work. so basically he half assed it just because. Im not going to worry about taking it somewhere else, he really didnt do a terrible job, just a little laziness ill be seeing what he can fix tomorow and ill post up info.

Last edited by NxLS1496; 10-15-2006 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: painter screwed me. need advice