Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: What would you do?
You get what you pay for and he did you a good deal
23.53%
Hell no, you got screwed go roid rage an his ass and make him redo it!!!
76.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

painter screwed me. need advice

Old 10-13-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painter screwed me. need advice

*cliffs at bottom*

*PICS* post 13 and 14
Ok, so my girlfriend bought me a camaro SS spoiler from thespoilercompany on ebay. i received it quickly and imo looked like a quality product. A buddy of mine sees it and says hey whos painting that. i said i wasnt sure yet. He replies with, "I know a guy who is the best. He owes me a favor so ill talk to him and have him cut your a great deal." I say the deal really isnt important i just want it to look good. he said again this guy is the best and he always does quality work. so i said fine.

i went to his shop last week and it was a little hole in the wall place, looked pretty shitty imo but i saw some of the cars he painted and they looked great. I have the stock RS body kit and the RS 3 piece spoiler. so i had to have my rear quarter panels filled in because there are 3 bolt holes on each side. I also wanted a gloss berger panel done. we talked and he said hed do everything for 250 bucks. i was like what? everything.....the filling in the holes, berger panel and paiting and fitting the spoiler?!?!?! he said yep.

I dropped it off monday and by wednesday i was getting curious as to how it was going. so i asked my buddy to drop by and check it out because i had no car and it was really far away. he said it looked great and was sitting outside to dry when stopped by. First of all i was like WTF cause i thought paint had to be baked or specially dried or something but whatever.

So he calls me today and to be dead honest he says man this paint looks ******* ****. i said great, i really appreciate the work and ill be by at around 5. he said ok, the total is $425. i had no problem with that because i had planned to give him an extra 150 anyway. remember though he originally said 250 . so i get there and he has it parked sort of out of the sunlight in his rat hole garage. so i start examining the work and to me it looked great. but im an idiot and i always get over excited so i failed to look closely at the work. he said yea man, came out great. i agreed. he said i wetsanded the sides and spoiler for you so just hit it with some wax and itll clear up the haze. so i paid him and left.

I was so happy! then i got home and upon closer unexcited inspection i find a ton of flaws in this job. First of all, the quarter panels do look great, you cant even tell the holes were filled. Second, the paint match is perfect! Third, he must of done a shitty job wetsanding because there are swirls and huge amount of haze all over the parts he painted. Fourth, there is drip spots on the back of spoiler by the led light, there is a big scratch in the center, a chip on the back, i would be surprised if there is any clearcoat on the back lip, and there is a big off color sort of blob on the right side.

Lastly the berger panel is ok, but i kind of scuffed the paint, ok alot, when i was taking the z28 symbol off the back. i couldnt get the god damn glue off of the panel so i hit it with goo gone and it didnt budge, so i grabbed an abrassive type of rag and got it off but took alot of clearcoat with it. so i go to check that spot out and it still looks all scraped up. i was under the impression you sand paint down before you repaint over it? what the hell?

So what would you guys do? did i get what i paid for, or should i take it back and shove it up his ***? im going to talk to my friend tomorow and see what he sees, but i just wanted to see what everyone though. BTW pics will be up tomorow morning when the sun comes out. Thanks to those who took the time to read this and help me out im really dissappointed

Cliff notes: friend had a friend paint my spoiler for cheap and he did a shitty *** job but he did it for really cheap. do i take it back or deal with it?

Last edited by NxLS1496; 10-14-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

for $400 he better do atleat a decent job. i'd take it back if i were u
Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHIWS6
for $400 he better do atleat a decent job. i'd take it back if i were u
Anybody know how much it would have cost at regular price?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

$400 is cheap. If you paid 400 just to have the spoiler painted would be a fair price. I`d take the car back and get him to touch up the chip and finish polishing out the paint.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

post up pics
Old 10-14-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you got a bad deal there man. Id definitely take it back and talk it over with him, if he tries to give you the run around then you might have some trouble. Or you may just cut your losses and take it to a more established shop.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

IMO 400 is basically still a deal, but you can/should try taking it back, it cant really hurt. I had my berger panel painted off the car for 100 and it came out perfect, and that place was also a hole in the wall, but high quality stuff came out of there and it was also a local chryselr dealerships designated body shop.

talk to the guy, see if he'll finish buffing everything out and maybe just touch up the problem areas. i wouldn't expect him to repaint everythign though.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That much to paint a spoiler? I'm paying 375 for my passenger side door and quarter panel to be resprayed. I say take it back to em and see what he can do, worst comes to worst your back where you are now.

EDIT: Thats what I get for reading the cliff notes, didnt realize he filled the quarters too!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't really matter what you paid. What matters is whether or not you got what you were promised. If you don't feel you did, then take it back.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

I am sure if you present your concerns politely, he will take care of you and fix the problem areas. $400 is not expensive considering what he did. But like someone else mentioned, don't expect them to repaint everything.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
It doesn't really matter what you paid. What matters is whether or not you got what you were promised. If you don't feel you did, then take it back.

Plus 1.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you get what you pay for. And he said he'd do a great job, so you PAID for one. Cheap or not, fact is you didn't get what you expected.

Get it done right.

If I were you, I'd ask for a partial refund and get it done elsewhere.. he may be a little bitter after he sees you again.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok guys, good news first. heres the parts where he did a good job.

Looks good from here right?

And here you can kind of see the un polished swirly wetsanded surface....

Now, the fenders are awesome. they look perfect. accept the wetsanding part...but the paint match is dead on.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bad news.....drip spots, terrible orange peel, unpolished wetsanded surface thats very hazy, and in one pic youll have to look hard but there is an off color orangish blob....the more i see these the angrier i become.....

hazyness....i hit with the z7 car soap and washed this panel this morning but still the same...

you cant see them but here there a bunch of tiny scratches in the brand new paint

big chip

im really convinced there is no clear coat on the back of the spoiler

drip

close up of drip

dimplesin the paint, more drips and no clear

you can actually feel the orange peel on this part...that stuff on the bottom is just dirt...

another drip close up

and the worst part is this orangish blob on the back, i mean wtf is this, its very hard to see but youll see it. it sticks out a sore thumb. it almost looks like the paint wasnt mixed.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Launching!

I hate to be harsh

but..

Get over it, it could have been much worse, you get what you pay for and if you want things done right you either pay for it or do it your self, I hope this teaches you a lesson on where you bring your car for paint. Heres something you should read..http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9327
Old 10-14-2006, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

I would talk to him and see what he will do for you. dont get all mad and start yelling at him or anything that wont help just call him and be like i noticed some things what can you do for me and for how much. He will probibly be a good guy about it.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, its not horrible, but yes it could be better, most of those things could be touched up/repaired easily. i still say bring it back but be nice and dont get your hopes up. like i said, it wouldnt hurt.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah just go talk to the guy professionally and see if hes willing to do anything and if not, a good old baseball bat to the knee caps
Old 10-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Fiery Features Director

As far as the paint goes, I think if you took it back to him with your concerns he should fix it as long as you are polite about it. Usually after you leave they aren't under any obligation to fix it. However, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, take it back and be polite about it. To be honest, it doesn`t look that bad. Looks like it just needs to be cut and buffed right is all. You should see my factory spoiler on my ws6. It`s orange peeled bad and has clear coat drips all over the bottom side of it. I think the guy did an amazing job blending the paint. He just slacked up on sanding and buffing. It`s not that big of a deal, so don`t get bent out of shape over it. I`m sure he`ll work with you on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: painter screwed me. need advice