Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Carbonfiber cowl hood installed on a Camaro with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paint that ****. it would look good with the side of the cowl in CF or soem accent like that, but looks like rice and IS rice to have entire body panels of unpainted CF.

and VSGLS1s hood looks even better in person, very clean and sweet
Old 10-22-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have just painted the thing over to match the care so you couldnt see the carbon fiber. I don't know, I am just not a big fan of CF, or at least the look of it. I love the weight loss it provides, that alone is amazing, but as far as the way it looks, ehh not so much, at least not on an F-body.

-bryan
Old 10-22-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

It might look ok painted. Cf really inst my style.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BitViper
Thisis the first cowl hood Ive ever liked..

Is the hood in the image above the same as the one in the first post?
No it is not. The hood I posted is a 1 of 4 made by my friend Chris (aka Whistler).

He took a stock hood, made it look lke that, used it as a plug to make a mold and then, using the mold, made about four of those carbon fiber cowls.

The first one was used on his car (the Titanium Silver car) which he also Targa topped and made a carbon fiber targa top for it. That car one many awards, one of which was first place at SLP day.

Long after his car had national attention Harwood came out with their hood which is damn near identical (not quite as nice to be honest though) to his design.

He sold a few of the hoods and got bored with his Targa car. When Chris repainted our friend Keith's (VSGLS1) car Viper Steel Grey it also got his old bumper and hood.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im impressed...thats is one fine hood....Like I said..Im not a fan of cowl hoods...but I d put one of thoes on my car ANYDAY!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

I just got linked to this thread from another forum, I dont post here on LS1tech, mostly just on Projectcamaro and Tfb. But yea, thats my car. And I do have plans to eventually paint the hood, but leave the sides of the cowl cf. I also have some cf accent peices on the way, nose badge, sail panel, rs emblems, etc. Enough to blend the theme into the car without going overboard.

I dont mind anyone calling my car rice, I do have vinyls on it, and a rather large tach. I've heard it from everyone. But just wanted to let you all know its not going to stay solid cf.

Oh, and post a comment on my cardomain

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2233257/1
Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Phate96
I just got linked to this thread from another forum, I dont post here on LS1tech, mostly just on Projectcamaro and Tfb. But yea, thats my car. And I do have plans to eventually paint the hood, but leave the sides of the cowl cf. I also have some cf accent peices on the way, nose badge, sail panel, rs emblems, etc. Enough to blend the theme into the car without going overboard.

I dont mind anyone calling my car rice, I do have vinyls on it, and a rather large tach. I've heard it from everyone. But just wanted to let you all know its not going to stay solid cf.

Oh, and post a comment on my cardomain

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2233257/1
i think you are goin the right route. if i had a hood like that i would leave the vertical sides of the cowl unpainted or the entire cowl itself
Old 11-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by texasreb18
i think you are goin the right route. if i had a hood like that i would leave the vertical sides of the cowl unpainted or the entire cowl itself
Eh, I dont think leaving the whole cowl cf would look good, would almost make it look like I just took a cf cowl and stuck it on a hood. So I think im going to go with the cf sides of the cowl theme. Im going to flop around some ideas in photoshop and see what I can come up with on carbon fiber hockey stripes or something to match. We'll see.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

I don't understand how carbon fiber is rice?.. Is it because it is unpainted? Does the LeMans edition C5 become rice because it has a carbon fiber hood. What about the C6 Z06 with its carbon fiber body parts? Or will the answer be..it's not rice for the Corvette because the carbon fiber came factory installed. Carbon fiber does serve a purpose in terms of durability/strenght and reduced weight.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Carbon fiber isn't rice at all, but the use of it can be.

-7 figure race car w/unpainted cf body panels: not rice
-$70k Z06 w/painted cf body panels: not rice
-$3k civic w/unpainted cf hood, wing & cf all over the interior: 100% authentic Japanese rice
Old 11-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Carbon fiber isn't rice at all, but the use of it can be.

-7 figure race car w/unpainted cf body panels: not rice
-$70k Z06 w/painted cf body panels: not rice
-$3k civic w/unpainted cf hood, wing & cf all over the interior: 100% authentic Japanese rice
Well, do you consider my car rice then? I do have an unpainted CF hood, a couple vinyls and a big tach :p, but its also a pretty hefty built v6. For the longest time I had no exterior mods whatsoever and went straight motor.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
A little too much rice in that bowl for me.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
:p
Old 11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phate96
Well, do you consider my car rice then? I do have an unpainted CF hood, a couple vinyls and a big tach :p, but its also a pretty hefty built v6. For the longest time I had no exterior mods whatsoever and went straight motor.
Not that my opinion should matter the least bit to you since it's your car, but no I don't think your car is rice. The stickers on the side and gawdy hood pins are ricey add-ons though. Take those two things away and your car looks real nice.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

I would love to take away the hood pins, but thats just not possible. Have you ever watched a harwood cowl hood on a camaro on the highway and watched the flex? My hood is bolted on in the rear, and uses the latch in the front, but the pins make it safe, and keep it from flexing as much. (To be honest, I dont like the pins either).
Old 11-03-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not feeling the hood.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Hood doesnt bother me but theres a lot going on with the ground effects and so on. the hood pins look rediculous

Last edited by unSStoppable; 11-03-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Just wondering, what comments have you gotten from your hood at car shows and stuff?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
Just wondering, what comments have you gotten from your hood at car shows and stuff?
Well, I have the first one ever made. So it gets some head turns and attention. Some like it, some dont. Most people get past the hood pretty fast and ask me "Its a v6?" lol.

I got the hood to be different, and to turn heads, regardless of what cliche you want to use with carbon fiber being 'rice'. Yes, its unpainted. No, I wouldnt even have bothered putting it on a car that isnt black. If you saw this hood in person, its much less pronounced. As I said before, I plan to paint it when I get some free time, i've got a few things I have to handle with the car first, then i'll get to that.

All in all, I like the hood. The only problem it had whatsoever (you see this with most all aftermarket hoods) near the rear of the hood where the hood mounts, it doesnt bend back upward, I cant explain it very well, i'd have to show you. Its barely noticeable, but its the only thing I saw. The fitment and gaps is probally 50% my fault.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
I don't think Carbon Fiber is rice at all. I think the use of carbon fiber this way is rice. The hood doesn't fit AT ALL, has 6' long hood pin retainers, and since it has NO supporting CF accents, it looks out of place and like a seriously rushed decision.

All of the things that look like **** about it are the same things a ricer would do. Hence my statement.

To me the term ricer signifies a state of mind not just a look. Anyone, any car, any country, etc., can have a ricer mentality, not just the import guys.

As stated on this forum before, "just because it says it fits on your car, doesn't mean it should be on your car."

If it fit, and was painted, it would look soooo much better IMO.
+1 , If it fit , didn't have hoodpins ,and was painted it wouldn't look that bad. The way it is now is F'UGLY IMO

Quick Reply: Carbonfiber cowl hood installed on a Camaro with pics!