Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roof bubbles and Fusor No. 120

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof bubbles and Fusor No. 120

I was reading in a magazine that a product called Fusor No. 120, also known as Fusor No. 127EZ and Goodwrench PN 12345726, could be used to fix the roof bubbling problem without replacing the entire panel. It will supposedly act as a barrier to prevent the glue from coming back through. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this? It would be a much easier and cheaper repair than replacing the whole panel.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Looks to me like that's just a glue. How is that going to prevent bubbles from coming back. Isn't it an adhesive for applying new panels?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Teching In

parbreak,

I did a little research on the web, and it does look like that product is a glue. I agree it doesn't seem like it would work. But they did recommend it in the March 2006 issue of High Performance Pontiac magazine. Hopefully they had at least an idea of what they were talking about. Maybe the idea is to lay down a thin layer then sand it down?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

I'm thinking that's the product they recommend for installing a new panel. GM recommends using a urethane adhesive available from DOW (U400 HV Essex) or an adhesive available from 3M(Urethane D8690). According to the Technical Service Bulletin #03-08-98-001A, which is the actual bulletin the dealer uses for the install, you have to cut the old panel off which renders it useless. I'm wondering if a re-paint with proper products, ie. epoxy primer and sealer, rather than just a "scuff and spray job" would put down enough of a barrier to prevent them popping through. I'm also wondering what the time window is for these things to stop popping. I mean the crappy adhesive GM used doesn't off gas forever, so it has to stop sometime. Then a repaint should be a viable option.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 10-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Bryan,

The item in the magazine was pretty explicit in saying to sand the bad spots down past the primer to the plastic, then apply Fusor to the affected area, going at least an inch into the good area, then prime and repaint. It said nothing about replacing the panel. I'm surprised nobody else on the board saw that in HPP ... maybe I'm the only one that owns an old Pontiac in addition to a late-model F-body. At any rate, I'm thinking about trying it, rather than have the dealer rip off my roof, then not get it aligned properly, etc. And I hear you about the gassing out stopping ... my bubbles haven't gotten a whole lot worse in the past year. I do keep it garaged. I just really hate the idea of the dealer replacing the panel, and am interested in a less invasive approach.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Please let me know how it goes. I would be very interested in trying it. Did the article say anything about having to thin the product out or does it go on straight from the tube?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

The article didn't say anything about thinning it down, or any specifics for the application of the product.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Scan the article if you can, or post a link.

Sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: Roof bubbles and Fusor No. 120