Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

what to use to get paint off of the intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Bryan.....I'm not doubting what you say about not using high temp paint but can you tell me why when my FRC's were painted using adhesion promotor and primed why they bubbled up really bad. Then they were painted by someone else a second time who does FRC's all the time and they bubbled up too. Can you tell me why that was so I know what went wrong?

Thanks
Michelle,

I can't speak to other people's work, I only know that I have put out now close to 900 sets and have yet to hear back about any bubbling. For the prices I charge, I'm sure I would have heard!! I do know that I HIGHLY recommend using some heat shielding tape on the back side of the FRCs(CoolTape is the brand name), especially if you have headers which throw out extra heat. It could also be that your car runs extra hot, don't know.

I'm not saying don't use high temp paint, it can't hurt, but if you want the pieces colored matched to your car, then I use regular automotive paint. The intake also sits up higher and further away from the manifolds/headers and is even less susceptible to heat problems. You can usually touch the manifold even after the car's been running awhile and it's not that hot.

My main point about the "bad info", which may have been a poor choice of words on my part, was about the sanding. That would take forever with all the nooks and crannies on the intake. That's why I recommend thinner or stripper for taking the paint off. It gets into all those crevices and you simply spray it off with water.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 11-23-2006, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

wow i dont check back for a day and i have a gazillion responses lol. i have some of the aircraft stripper, but i will try the lacquer first. will definatly keep yall posted on it
Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Hey 68birdls1, what were your results?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

dand this thread is still around lol. well i ended up using that aircraft stripper and it didnt hurt the intake at all, so that was a plus, but since the intake has the rough finish to it, i wasnt able to get all the paint... some places had a couple of little tiny bits and pieces here and there. but overall it came out real nice. i also hit it with the pressure washer when i cleaned off the stripper and that made it a lil easier aswell. i could have repainted it and it would have came out great but i didnt want to have it look like anything other than stock.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used aircraft stripper as well and it worked perfect. took about 5 applications since some areas were stubborn, but it looks like stock now. Took off 3 layers of shitty paint

Quick Reply: what to use to get paint off of the intake