Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED Gauges 8000k HID Install Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 95% sure it's hard on the bulbs. I will look into it later tonight and post up.

The reason I say this is because the ballasts will quickly spike the voltage to start the bulb. If the gases are already hot in a recently turned off bulb, the arc doesn't take as much energy to start, so you're shocking a hot bulb with more than it really needs. Again, this is my reasoning, I will look more into it tonight.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Turning ANY light on and off, repeatedly is bad for it. Don't believe me? Go turn your bedroom light on and off 75-100 times in a row. I bet you loose the bulb!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

So are the stock fog light housings on a 2002 Camaro projectors, if so, how do they compare with Audi, BMW, Corvette, etc. projectors?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good Jeff ! I did the 6000k Projectors on my low beam and 6000k on my foglights. It gives off a nice white with a blu-ish tint.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slonomo
So are the stock fog light housings on a 2002 Camaro projectors, if so, how do they compare with Audi, BMW, Corvette, etc. projectors?

Yes, theyre projectors but not as good as the ones in the bmw's. BMW uses very nice, very expensive projector(bosch e46 i believe?). The stockers wont project as much light and wont produce the color that the bmw's do. especially if use are all cruddy like mine. However, they will still produce a half-way decent cut off.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

The fog light projectors will not work well with conventional HIDs. I believe they hold an H13 bulb, which is pretty damn small if you've ever looked at one if you've changed it out.

If you were to squeeze a D2S bulb in there, you'd probably have to cut away too much of the internal reflector housing and probably run the bulb into the cutoff shield. If you got aroudn that, then you'd still have to position the arc in the proper spot for focus..... basically it would be a mess.

Also- You can actually over-saturate a projector housing by using too bright of a bulb, and I think this would be one case where that would happen easily......
Old 12-01-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LED Gauges makes a kit for the fogs actually.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Many companies make a kit for the fogs. Slonomo was probably asking about using the stock foglights as primary HID projectors. In that case, I would not use them. Kits sold for the stock foglights will be ADAPTED to work with the fog light projectors. Specifically, it'll be a D2S bulb adapted for that particular bulb base (I believe fogs are H13). They will not produce HID lighting as well as projectors designed specifically for D2S bulbs.

However, they will help match color temps and balance out the lighting from an appearance standpoint. I know this is important, because I did the same thing in my car with halogen bulbs back in the day (2 low beam hyperwhites, 2 high beam hyperwhites, 2 fog leam hyperwhites). To this day I still keep "hyperwhite" bulbs in the fogs even tho they are useless from a lumens standpoint just so I can have foglights that come close to HID color.

Quick Reply: LED Gauges 8000k HID Install Pictures