Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help removing Dash out of a 99 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help removing Dash out of a 99 Camaro

I need to remove my dash out of a 99 Camaro. I am doing some major chassis work to my Camaro and I need to remove the dash. I have removed all nuts and screws from the bottom of the dash. I also removed all HVAC equipment from the dash. The steering column is removed and all gauges from the car. Radio has also been removed. I can pull on the bottom of the dash and it feels loose. It seems like there is still something holding the dash on the top. Can anyone give me some advice on how to safely remove the dash in a 99 Camaro? Please let me know if you needs some pics I will take some of the dash.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:11 PM
8 Second Club

check for more screws on the top of the dash
Old 01-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

I checked for screws on the top, I cannot find any. It seems like the dash has two parts. The first part is the top part that extends to the windshield. The second part is the front of the dash, or maybe it is all one piece I don't know. I cannot figure out where the fasteners are on the top.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outlawss
I checked for screws on the top, I cannot find any. It seems like the dash has two parts. The first part is the top part that extends to the windshield. The second part is the front of the dash, or maybe it is all one piece I don't know. I cannot figure out where the fasteners are on the top.
Remove the windshield pillars then the top dash piece with the defroster vent. Once you have that out you'll see a bunch of 7mm screws on the top side of the dash. Maybe you should really reconsider doing any major work to your car if the dash is giving you trouble.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip Z95m6, I have removed the windshield pillars but I don't know how to take the top dash piece off with the defroster vent. I cannot find any screws or clips on it. Do you have any tips on how to remove the top dash piece? I like to be very carefull working on parts that I don't know how they really fit together. I do not want to break any parts. Just to let you know I am very experinced with major car projects. Check out my website if you want to see somthing that I have fully restored. I did all the paint and front chassis work on this car.

http://www.coyleracing.com
Old 01-01-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The top dash piece with the vent is held in place by small metal clips that are attached to the underside of it. I believe there are about 5 clips in the front and then i think only velcro in the back. Its probably not something you'll want to work on if its cold outside as the pad will probably break instantly.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips, I will try it tomorrow after work.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Ok I finally got time to work on the car. I removed the dash, you were correct. The top dash piece is just cliped on the front and held on the back with velcro. I just pulled up on it and it unsnapped without breaking. I then removed the 5 screws on the top of the dash and it came right out. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Help removing Dash out of a 99 Camaro