Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

should i do a t-top conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should i do a t-top conversion?

hey there i know this topic has been brought up a few times but i just wanted to get some peoples opinion. My car is a "SC1 Stripper car". The only option i got on my car was the Monsoon sound system and AC. I have manual windows and locks, no rear defrost, hardtop, manual side mirror adjustment etc. etc. So here is the deal. I LOVE t-tops! Every time the weather gets beautiful here all my buddies ride around with their t-tops off. But i am stuck with a fixed roof. I'm not planning on turning my first car (this one) into an all out drag car so i dont see going to t-tops to be a bad thing. I have brought up this topic several times to my buddies and i always get mixed comments on it. Some people say hell yah and others tell me i'm stupid and hardtops are "rare." But its not like my car is a 1LE or anything so i dont really see the rarity in it. So i guess i am just looking for more opinions.

So......if you have had this conversion done to your car do you like it or do you regret it? I'm just trying to decide. Thanks

Brent
Old 02-24-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, leave it the hell alone. if you want t-tops get a t-top car
Old 02-25-2007, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

haha i was waiting for you to comment Tainted. I had noticed on a lot of the threads about t-top cars you are strongly against it. haha
Old 02-25-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted
no, leave it the hell alone. if you want t-tops get a t-top car

what he said
Old 02-25-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, im highly against it for several reasons. First off most of yall know I do a lot of body work with my grandpa and the average person can't sucessfully do a project like this. Second of all the T tops might not even fit right and you can have water leaks. Third the hardtop cars are a bit more rigid than the t-top cars which wont elt the chasis flex as much, you'll still get it, and its not gonna help by much but it will some. and finally the ahrdtops are a bit rare
Old 02-25-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hardtops are cool.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

I wish i had t-tops as well for the same reasons. All my friends drive with the tops off in beautiful weather and i wish i could do the same
Old 02-25-2007, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroextra
hardtops are cool.
see that is the answer i get from 90% of the people i ask. But usually none of them have owned a hardtop and only a hardtop. I guess if i owned a t-top car then a hardtop car would seem kinda cool. But it sucks not being able to enjoy the open road like everyone else. I would love to go on the "cruises" that get setup to go from houston, tx. to galveston, tx. but i dont see a reason when i am all cooped up in my car. Its just depressing sometimes.......
Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont DO IT, sell your car and buy a T-top. It's not an easy bolt-on operation you are talking about.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
see that is the answer i get from 90% of the people i ask. But usually none of them have owned a hardtop and only a hardtop. I guess if i owned a t-top car then a hardtop car would seem kinda cool. But it sucks not being able to enjoy the open road like everyone else. I would love to go on the "cruises" that get setup to go from houston, tx. to galveston, tx. but i dont see a reason when i am all cooped up in my car. Its just depressing sometimes.......
I agree 100%. Everyone always tells me to keep the hardtop but honestly i dont want to. It doesnt matter to me whatsoever if its rare(which its not on v6's) but i will enjoy having t-tops much more than hardtop.

T-tops is the ONLY option i dont have in my car(i got leather, w68 ground kit, premium sound and all that) and i really just wish i had t-tops. All my friends go cruising once in a while with the tops off and i go with them but i just wish i could drop the tops. It would be MUCH more enjoyable
Old 02-25-2007, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

you know theres an guy here in cs / dallas that does the conversion for $400 plus all the parts right? personally, i would leave it alone brent. but it's comming from the guys with t-tops, or you could just borrow the faster car that already has t-tops hahaha
Old 02-25-2007, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Dont DO IT, sell your car and buy a T-top. It's not an easy bolt-on operation you are talking about.

I understand its not an easy bolt-on operation. I have been researching this for about a year now. I actually have 2 write-ups saved on my computer. I wouldnt be the one doing it to my car anyways though.

This isn't something i am going to sell my car over. I LOVE my car, it is my first car and i wont ever get rid of it. I dont care if my car isn't t-tops that much i was just trying to get other people's opinions about the subject. Thanks guys!

Brent
Old 02-25-2007, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kornfreak_401
you know theres an guy here in cs / dallas that does the conversion for $400 plus all the parts right? personally, i would leave it alone brent. but it's comming from the guys with t-tops, or you could just borrow the faster car that already has t-tops hahaha
haha yah that is the guy i have talked to. His name on here is Herronz28. And as far as the faster car........i wouldnt go counting my chickens before they hatch! Next raceday........me and you!!

Brent
Old 02-25-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say not to do it either. Sounds like you really want a t top car, so just get one. If you're not set on keeping this car forever, get rid of it now and get something with the options you want, like t tops. If you went ahead and had the conversion done by yourself or someone else, I think it would have a negative impact on the resale. But hey, it's your car, do what you want.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

personally half the reason i bought my car is because the ttops...i freaking love them haha.

so if that's a decent enough answer lol there yah go.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i have a small amount of body shop work, i did some for a dealership in H.S. and i did the ttop conversion on my t/a without a hitch, it was very easy, just took a while, the only thing i have to do is rebuild part of the ridge on my sail panel that i sanded down too far, but even that you cant tell, i have 0 squeeks with my ttop and no leaks at all. It is definetly something i would do again and again.
Attached Thumbnails should i do a t-top conversion?-dsc_0035.jpg   should i do a t-top conversion?-dsc_0038.jpg   should i do a t-top conversion?-dsc_0037.jpg  
Old 02-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't bother reading past the post "don't do it"... SCREW ALL THE NAYSAYERS !!!

I did it on my 1994 Z28 8 years ago... At the time no one on the boards had done it and the major board was www.camaroz28.com I had NO experience and NO write-ups to guide me and it came out just fine.

Done a friend's since and it came out perfect with just a few hours work...

Honestly, it was the single BEST MOD I EVER DID to any of my cars (enjoyment wise)

Without a doubt my friend, DO THIS TO YOUR CAR
Old 02-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Banned

My 95 TA was hardtop. I liked it. My 01 WS6 is T-top. I liked hard-top better. I have had to keep on top of the WS6 with the GM grease to keep leaks out. It leaked a bit when I got her, now, we had tornado weather and I went out after the rain and not a DROP! in her

STAY HARDTOP!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:05 AM
TECH Regular

I dont see how hardtops are any stiffer being its just a flimsy piece of platic/fiberglass stretched over a t-top frame. If you want t-tops, go for it. The only people who like hardtops are the people with t-tops that say they are "rare". They're rare because t-tops are pimp. LoL. When I cruise my girls '94 T/A the tops are off all spring, summer evenings and fall.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

i shook an 8ball and it said "possibly"

Quick Reply: should i do a t-top conversion?