Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Bosch E-Code Headlights (LS1 T/A Guys, you want this!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch E-Code Headlights (LS1 T/A Guys, you want this!)

So since seemingly no one else has done this yet (or at least I couldn't find anything about it), I bit the bullet and ordered the Bosch E-code H4 headlight conversions from Susquehanna Motorsports (am I allowed to say that?). Put simply, they flat-out RULE. I know some of the guys here have been looking for alternatives to the Eurolites housings. Well these are the ones.

The install was very straightforward. The lights will come with the mounting buckets and frames, but my suggestion is to not bother with them. Remove the 4 torx screws that hold the front frame on there and take the lamp out just like you would if you were replacing the sealed beam unit. The buckets and frames are the same.

The harness they come with is very very NICE. It's long enough, but not too long. The wires are low-gauge, and the relay setup looks very professional. You hook up ground and power, plug two leads into the driver's side low-beam plug, and power the H4 bulbs with the harness ends. Pretty simple and provides good clean power. Do not connect the high beam lead on the harness, as our cars run highs and lows at the same time. You'd be burning both filaments in the H4 bulb and that's a Bad Idea.

Here are a few photos of them.

And the money shot:

As you can see, it's a nice, sharp beam cutoff. In reality it's damn close to the cutoff on a projector light. Not QUITE as sharp, but damn close. These would be great for an HID conversion, as they would not have any appreciable glare for oncoming traffic. The angled right side of the beam makes for awesome roadside visibility.

All-in-all, it's a GREAT buy. My suggestion is only do the lows and don't hook up the highs to the new housings. The stock sealed-beam highs complement the H4 lows very well. The harness they offer is worth every penny you'd pay for it, as are the housings. It was money very well-spent.

Last edited by CajunCC; 03-17-2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: I suck at the internet...
Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so over the stock lighting, how much better is it exactly?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tainted
I'd say it's about 5784926594075903245032659032 times better in every conceivable way.

Ok, really. These lamps put all the light from the bulb onto the road. There's no discernable hot-spot to the light like there is with the stock lamps. It's just smooth even light underneath the cutoff and none above. The result is the road is illuminated VERY well and there's no glare into oncoming traffic.

I hesitate to say they're brighter, because in reality they're probably not any more INTENSE, they're just focussed better, so you get more light where you need it and less where you don't. The overall effect is MUCH MUCH better, but to really get truly brighter light, you'd need to go with a higher-wattage bulb or an HID conversion. The good news is higher-wattage bulbs are cheaper, the wiring harness will support them easily, and the H4 bulb is a standard size and VERY common.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

i second. i'm interested in these too as i'm not terribly impressed with the stock lighting.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how the H4 HID Bulbs would react to these housings? Looks as if the housings are $70 each.......
Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some free-form housings from Hella with H4 lamps and it looks much more better than the stock lighting. I dropped in a HID kit as well and the results are pretty good for a halogen reflector housing. Nice pics. It will be easier to see in the dark.

-Brian
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blacker
I wonder how the H4 HID Bulbs would react to these housings? Looks as if the housings are $70 each.......
I imagine this would be the best bet for someone who wants HID but doesn't have the money, time, desire, or technical skill to fabricate a projector setup. For now, I'm happy with the improvement just with halogen bulbs, so it could also be that you'd upgrade to these housings and decide that the extra money for the HID kit isn't really necessary.

I'm considering an HID upgrade at some point. You can be sure when I do it, it'll be here.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok question for the poster again...

What all exactly did you buy? like part numbers if possible. im really intrested in doing this next

Last edited by Tainted; 03-16-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cant see the pics
Old 03-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry, the pics are fixed now.

The kit is a 150mm e-code conversion kit. The part number is HL21000. It's a kit that comes with 2 housings and a wiring harness. The individual lamp housings are P/N HL21001.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok so do I need the kit AND the housing or just the kit?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

The kit comes with two assembled housings and the wiring harness. By assembled housings, I mean it has the actual lamp housing, the mounting bucket, the retainer frame, two headlight bulbs, and two city light bulbs.

My advice for installation is to disassemble the buckets and frames from the kit lamps. Use the existing buckets in your headlights, as they are exactly the same. Use the new retainer frames because they're clean and pretty (otherwise they're also the same as stock). Removing the buckets from the car is not fun becuase of the spring that holds them in there. That thing is a pain.

Remember, these include bulbs. It doesn't say that on their site, so I ended up buying bulbs to go with them. Oh well, now I have an extra set.

Oh, a word on the City Lights. I didn't bother with them at all. They're basically the european equivalent of DRLs. It's a small bulb that lights up the housing during the day. Kinda worthless with flip-up headlights. I just clipped the wires closer to the housing and let the bulb in there.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

mmk awesome im def getting these. I take it other than the bucket part the install was easy?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

mmk awesome im def getting these. I take it other than the bucket part the install was easy?
Very easy. If you can change a light bulb, you can install this kit. Just watch that you don't run the harness in a place where it'll get pinched by the headlight mechanism.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

So, what are the difference between those and the eurolights?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... interesting.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Prin
So, what are the difference between those and the eurolights?
From the things I've read, the Eurolites housings don't control the beam very well. The output isn't much better than the stock lamps, if at all. These are OEM export headlights for use in europe. So you get an awesome beam pattern and OEM quality.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Even though this is an old thread, I haven't seen any pics of HID's in the Bosch-E housing. Well here you go.

Installed is a non-sponsor H4 6000k HID kit that I got with a lifetime warrany for $70.00, installed in the Bosch-E housing.

From the pic below you can see the cutoff line is really close to that of a projector. This cutoff line matches that of cars with factory HID's in non-projector headlights, such as the older Acura CL's, TL's, Maxima's, and Altima's.

Bosch E-Code Headlights (LS1 T/A Guys, you want this!)-hid-bosch-e.jpg
Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Looks good.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

They would still be horrible for a HID conversion. The problem isnt the beam pattern for the most part when you put an HID bulb in a halogen housing. Its the increased output in lumens and whats called the focal length of the bulb. Thats the point in the housing in which the light originates and then is correctly mirrored by the housing and then directed by the lens. Hid bulbs do not have the same focal length as any halogen bulb except for possibly H7 (or so ive read and had good results with).

Quick Reply: Bosch E-Code Headlights (LS1 T/A Guys, you want this!)