Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LS1 Tech Special: Porter Cable 7424 buffer kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trust
Thanks for the help guys, I was trying to figure out whether it was the one that oscillates or not. I'll be ordering one ASAP!
That sounds good! Don't hesitate to come to any of us with any questions regarding the use of your PC or any Tropi-Care products!

Jason
Old 03-23-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Steve, for your info. It didn't really answer my question, but with a little investigation I found that it was answered in #4 of the tips you posted on your forum:
Developed by our Austin distributor, Chris Burch, the following is a list of techniques, tips and safety precautions for effective use:

1) Always turn the buffer on/off with the pad resting on the surface. This prevents the pad from accidentally flying off and product slinging.

2) DO NOT place un-needed pressure on the machine while working. Not getting the desired results? Change your technique by speed adjustment, different foam pad or product.

3) Lightly mist the foam pad prior to use and periodically re-wet during use. This helps to spread the product evenly and over greater surface area while prevent the pad from loading up with excess product.

4) Keep the buffer flat and level during use. Maintain maximum surface contact with the pad for effective results.

5) Periodically check the backing plate and foam buffing pads for wear or damage. Replace as needed for best results. Do not overtighten backing plate when attaching to the buffer, and be sure to use the washer supplied with the buffer.

6) For products such as TC-8 Swirl Cutter, set the machine dial to speed 5-6, working in a slow and smooth motion (rate of 1"/second); this will allow the buffer to sufficiently break down the product while doing its job. Use only enough product necessary on the surface until it disappears or very little residue remains. Several passes may be necsaary for satifactory results.

7) To apply TC-3 Polish/Sealant xP, a very thin layer is all that is necessary. With the PC, you will be able to able a layer more thinly as compared to hand application. Using the black/blue Lake Country final finishing pad, set your dial to speed 4. Allow sufficent time for curing/drying.

8) Use your finger to test prior to removal. If it wipes off cleanly without smearing underneath, then you ready to remove by hand or using the white microfiber bonnets placed on top of the orange foam pad. Set the buffer dial to speed 5 and work in a smooth motion until as residue is removed. Remove by hand with a blue microfiber polishing towel for hard to reach areas.

9)The Porter Cable buffer is a tough and solid piece of equipment, but don't abuse it either. Be careful not to drop it, and for storage, place it upside down with the backing plate facing up. Do not let it rest on its side with the backing plate in place as the plate may warp.

10) Keep the buffer clean. Wipe down after each use. This will help to ensure peak performance for years to come.

11) Please refer to your owner's manual regarding limited liability coverage.

These are few basic tips. If you have a specific question about the proper use of the buffer, accessories, or any Tropi-Care products, contact us at support@tropi-care.com or call toll-free at (866)341-0050.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

One more question - how long is this offer for? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i am new to all this but if buying this kit is that everything i would need in the way of pads to do a car? and is the polish/sealant the last step or do you still apply a wax? thanks!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
i am new to all this but if buying this kit is that everything i would need in the way of pads to do a car? and is the polish/sealant the last step or do you still apply a wax? thanks!
Yeah, that's everything you'd need to do a car. The sealant replaces/is the wax.

-Mike
Old 03-24-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok great thanks!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Just ordered Mine !!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The liquid or paste versions of carnauba wax if applied over top of the sealant provide an extra measure of protection for the sealant. In addition, the wax may provide a deeper and softer reflection on darker colors as compared to a more mirror-like appearance of the sealant.

The length of sealant protection will outlast the the wax version especially in the brutal summer heat.

Expect a little slicker surface on the sealant protection vs. wax protection as well.

Wax over sealant:OK

Sealant over top of wax: NO. Sealants perform and adhere properly when when applied to clean, wax-FREE surfaces.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just ordered mine ...cant wait
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Reza *trust* you would be very happy with this polisher! I am gonna get one for less agressive polishing when I dont wanna use the DeWalt.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ordered my buffer last night, this will be he chance to give Tropi-Care a change (for polish)
Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Yeap. I got my order in. Didnt take long to spend $300 and I could still order some stuff. Hopefully I'm as lucky with it as everyone else has been
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks to all who have taken advantage of this special offer. All orders through midday today have been processed and shipped to their destinations.

Feel free to contact anyone of us with any questions about the products or the buffer kit.

Be sure to post pictures of your completed work.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered mine! Does it come with instructions or are they easy to find on this site? I've never used a polisher before. Thanks!
-Chris
Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
I just ordered mine! Does it come with instructions or are they easy to find on this site? I've never used a polisher before. Thanks!
-Chris
Look at my earlier post - I copied in the tips from the Tropicare site. There are other guides that I've found too, but can't remember the sites off hand. Do a google search on porter cable polisher.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:59 PM
FormerVendor

We do have that list of tips put together by Chris that was posted above and any of us are more than willing to answer any additional questions you may have when it comes time for you to use your new Porter Cable. I know I have personally spent a lot of time on the phone walking a couple people through step by step. I'm sure Steve cannot even count the times he's done the same thing and we are all always willing to do it again for anyone that needs the help!

Don't be afraid to ask us any questions about using our products properly! We're always looking to help!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really interested in getting one of these my car has some light scratches and swirls I could not get out all the way out with my foam pad and 3m swirl remover. I have some compound but I did not want to go that rough and im not sure if I want to use the rotary cause you never know how much clear is on these cars. Anyway does this kit have everything I need? Would I need to get some more swirl remover or any other product to get that perfect shine. If I decide to use the rotary what all would I need I have a 8" or 6.5" hook and loop pad ill have to check to make sure. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

gonna order this next week if still available!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
-Chris
We include a tip and guideline sheet in every order just as you have read here. Hands-on experience is the best way to learn the characteristics and capabilities of the machine. Remember this machine will not burn the paint as compared to a high speed rotary polisher.

Feel free to post up your questions about any aspect of the machine or suggested products for us to answer or contact us toll-free at (866)341-0050.

Imagine removing ultra fine scratches from towels and wash mitts in a matter of minutes with this machine. You'll be able to improve surface clarity exponentially with this action. Always begin with the least aggressive remedy before progressing. Deeper concentric circular style "spider scratches" may be require to use more aggressive removal techniques.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
I am really interested in getting one of these my car has some light scratches and swirls I could not get out all the way out with my foam pad and 3m swirl remover. I have some compound but I did not want to go that rough and im not sure if I want to use the rotary cause you never know how much clear is on these cars. Anyway does this kit have everything I need? Would I need to get some more swirl remover or any other product to get that perfect shine. If I decide to use the rotary what all would I need I have a 8" or 6.5" hook and loop pad ill have to check to make sure. Thanks!
The TCPC-10 kit for $161.99 + shipping comes complete with hook and loop 5-7/8" backing plate for quick pad change outs. Also included are 2 Lake Country Mfg. orange "cutting/polishing" pads, 1 blue "final finishing" foam for last step product application and a pair of microfiber polishing bonnets product residue removal.

As part of our Tech Special, we include a FREE bottle of our TC-8 Swirl Cutter ($15.95 value) in each kit ordered from this forum.

We also have the yellow "medium" cutting pad ($9.99) available for addition to any kit if you determine that you may need a more aggressive action for removal of more stubborn scratches and blemishes.

The use of the rotary polisher is only recommended for experienced users or for correcting more severe conditions outside the reach of the PC.

Quick Reply: LS1 Tech Special: Porter Cable 7424 buffer kit