Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Lighter hood struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighter hood struts

Where to get them? I think I'm gonna play it safe with my fiberglass hood and would like to know where I can get some hood struts meant for a lighter hood.

Also, is there any difference between Z28 and SS hood struts?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the ss hood struts are made to be not as strong the the z28 ones.. you could call autozone and see if there is a diffrent part number for the 2..

when i did my ultra z hood i tried the struts that came with it and they didnt keep it up for ****, so i used my stockers and they work great.. i open my hood about 2 inches and the struts open it the rest of the way for me
Old 05-05-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by presto_z
i think the ss hood struts are made to be not as strong the the z28 ones.. you could call autozone and see if there is a diffrent part number for the 2..

when i did my ultra z hood i tried the struts that came with it and they didnt keep it up for ****, so i used my stockers and they work great.. i open my hood about 2 inches and the struts open it the rest of the way for me
Well my factory struts fly my sunoco hood open and I'm afraid over the years the hood might develop creases at the strut attachments because of the increased pressure on the light hood.

I know the part numbers of the SS and Z28 hood struts are identical but I once read somewhere that they might actually be different???

My sunoco didn't come with hood struts.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i put a fibreglass ss hood on my car a few weeks ago and the z28 struts are wayy to strong...even with one the uneven force isnt good...and with 2 you cant even close it, the hood just wants to crack so i left them off
Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

use the stocker just leave one off see if that works ive seem ram air birds have only one strut while my sleak beak bird has two just a thought. maybe it will work
Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm now im thinking about changing my hood struts when i get my sunoco on. I dont want to damage/crack my nice new hood over time .......
Old 05-05-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to Armando about lower psi hood struts when I picked up my hood. He insisted that the regular hood struts will NOT damage a VFN hood through the course of the years. You should be safe.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I talked to Armando about lower psi hood struts when I picked up my hood. He insisted that the regular hood struts will NOT damage a VFN hood through the course of the years. You should be safe.
COOL! yea i figured being my hood came from them they would let me know if i needed to change my hood shocks. So being as they didnt say i figured my stock was ok then i heard rumors y'know .....just wanted to be safe
Old 05-06-2007, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

I just eliminated my hood struts and keep one of these in the trunk.
http://www.shop.com/op/~Hood_Prop-prod-22111480
Old 05-06-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not true. I've seen pictures of the traditional cowl vfn hood with creases from the struts. I'll try to dig up the pictures
Old 05-06-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Veteran

yea i have to practically sit on mine to get it to click closed.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Not true. I've seen pictures of the traditional cowl vfn hood with creases from the struts. I'll try to dig up the pictures
Could have been defective / not cured properly...
Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Could have been defective / not cured properly...
Finally dug up the pics:

and here's a pic of the actual hood:

The car is Roarin_8's car. I know his hood is still unpainted so the hood not cureing properly is out of the question as it has had plenty time to cure.

He goes on to say that his painter told him the stress from the struts caused those creases and they are fixed where the struts attach to the hood.

Aside from the amazing amount of stress on the hood, this is what's getting me into buying lighter struts as it is shown that a vfn hood has the capability of being damaged overtime from the factory struts. Hopefully rorain will come in here and give some of his expertise. But I do not want to ditch one or both struts, I just want lighter hood struts meant for this fiberglass hood.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmm, yeah I feel what you are saying. I just don't understand why VFN wasn't made aware of it.. at least then they can properly let customers know of potential damage from the OE struts.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, yeah I feel what you are saying. I just don't understand why VFN wasn't made aware of it.. at least then they can properly let customers know of potential damage from the OE struts.
Out of curiosity, do you work for VFN or something? I always find you defending and promoting VFN no matter what it be
Old 05-07-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Nah, don't work for 'em. We test fit a few hoods for them and they have been nothing but kind and generous to us. They have gone out of their way to accommodate us and in that regard I owe them one.

You need to make the trip up for the BBQ.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nah, don't work for 'em. We test fit a few hoods for them and they have been nothing but kind and generous to us. They have gone out of their way to accommodate us and in that regard I owe them one.

You need to make the trip up for the BBQ.
Yeah well it's too bad Texas isn't right around the corner!

Back on subject, anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

ss and z28 hood struts are the same
Old 05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS
ss and z28 hood struts are the same
Have you tested this yourself other than just looking up the part numbers? Because I've heard otherwise.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Finally dug up the pics:

and here's a pic of the actual hood:

The car is Roarin_8's car. I know his hood is still unpainted so the hood not cureing properly is out of the question as it has had plenty time to cure.

He goes on to say that his painter told him the stress from the struts caused those creases and they are fixed where the struts attach to the hood.

Aside from the amazing amount of stress on the hood, this is what's getting me into buying lighter struts as it is shown that a vfn hood has the capability of being damaged overtime from the factory struts. Hopefully rorain will come in here and give some of his expertise. But I do not want to ditch one or both struts, I just want lighter hood struts meant for this fiberglass hood.
Ok now im scared somebody help us out i want to know a definite answer my hood goes on tomarrow

Quick Reply: Lighter hood struts