Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Lighter hood struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS hood struts are SLP/GM struts rated at 52 LBS/Ft.
Z/28 and V6 (Steel hood) struts are GM and rated at 78 Lbs/ft.

Remember that the hood was an SLP modification, and technically GM built all 98-02 camaros with steel hood intentions; that's why they list as the same part number.

Napa sells a hood strut fit for custom application, part number is written down at home, so I'll get it for you guys later. In general though it's a 25 lbs/foot strut that has an extended reach 2" shorter than stock, which in my opinion is a plus...
Old 05-08-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRSITES

Remember that the hood was an SLP modification, and technically GM built all 98-02 camaros with steel hood intentions; that's why they list as the same part number.

Napa sells a hood strut fit for custom application, part number is written down at home, so I'll get it for you guys later. In general though it's a 25 lbs/foot strut that has an extended reach 2" shorter than stock, which in my opinion is a plus...

See this is what im talking about you da man !!! hook us up!! I'll be checking back on here when i get off work tomarrow
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DRSITES

Exactly what I was looking for. And I knew there was a difference between the two sets of struts!

Get us that part number!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM
LC
TECH Resident

I want to know..
Old 05-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's one of the biggest internet myths out there...

Think about it guys, THERE'S NO PRESSURE COMING FROM THE SHOCKS WHEN THE HOOD IS CLOSED. Even if there were it wouldn't be pushing up on the hood it would be pushing out against bracket (look how it's mounted).

If you doubt me think about what happens when you close the hood, when it goes vertical IT NO LONGER IS TRYING TO POP UP AT YOU... Take a strut off and force it closed. It will STAY CLOSED (because there's no pressure) untill you pull it out a little.

When it's extended up there's no pressure either because it is fully extended.

The pics of the "damaged hood" may be from it being left open while it was still in the curing stages... I have no clue but I do know it's impossible that it was caused from it being closed with factory struts, THEY WOULDN'T BE APPYLING PRESSURE WHEN IT'S CLOSED!

SO, YES, you can use your factory struts

FYI: The part number for SS's (lightweight hood) is the same for Z's and V6's... The different part numbers mentioned involve LT1 cars.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
That's one of the biggest internet myths out there...

Think about it guys, THERE'S NO PRESSURE COMING FROM THE SHOCKS WHEN THE HOOD IS CLOSED. Even if there were it wouldn't be pushing up on the hood it would be pushing out against bracket (look how it's mounted).

If you doubt me think about what happens when you close the hood, when it goes vertical IT NO LONGER IS TRYING TO POP UP AT YOU... Take a strut off and force it closed. It will STAY CLOSED (because there's no pressure) untill you pull it out a little.

When it's extended up there's no pressure either because it is fully extended.

The pics of the "damaged hood" may be from it being left open while it was still in the curing stages... I have no clue but I do know it's impossible that it was caused from it being closed with factory struts, THEY WOULDN'T BE APPYLING PRESSURE WHEN IT'S CLOSED!

SO, YES, you can use your factory struts

FYI: The part number for SS's (lightweight hood) is the same for Z's and V6's... The different part numbers mentioned involve LT1 cars.
but when you are closing the hood, you are putting downward force on the front of the hood while the struts are still putting upward force on the middle
Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

According to Demonbird, the stock struts are fine. But my ss hood struts have different part numbers on them vs. my old z28 hood struts....****! I wish I still had those stock struts just to make sure they were different part numbers...I could possibly be wrong.....
Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

so whats the best way to close the hood then? i just pull down in the center and then push it shut
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Reposting from a similar thread:

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
damn, I guess the people that were saying it damaged there hoods were lying? why would they do that? the part numbers were different on my stock z28 hood vs. my stock ss hood.....Demonbird: I am not saying you are wrong, I am just going by things I have heard, and my personal experience. well then I guess just use the stock struts....
I've used factory struts of 4 different types of aftermarket fiberglass hoods (just off the top of my head) and had no problems.

The only "damged hood" I have seen posted is the other NBM w/Sunoco hood on here... I just think there is some other factor in that picture (hood defect, not owner related)....

I went to the dealership before to get a different set of struts (since the local autoparts stores all said the struts were the same PN from Z to SS) and was told they were the same part number as well.

Dealerships usually don't know $hit when it comes to little specific details about our cars but I have never seen any proof positive otherwise...

Regardless, pure physics would dictate that even if the strut was constantly applying pressure it could not warp the hood (especially not the way the one guy's pictures show) because it is pushing out against the bracket, not up.

I've seen VERY light hoods (like my friend Whistler's carbon fiber cowl) use only prop rods because it had nowhere to attach struts (it was just a carbonfiber skin, no understructure). Even if it had a place to mount them maybe the pressure WHILE CLOSING the hood would be too much and it would break where the strut was mounted... I don't know.

I just know that every hood manufacturer I have talked to over the years (VFN, Wings West and Suncoast Creations) have said the same thing, stock struts are fine.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bad6as
so whats the best way to close the hood then? i just pull down in the center and then push it shut
That's what I do... It's definetly a little more of a fight than stock. Just start off with light pressure and continue to increase untill it starts to come down.

You probably could break it if you just yanked hard and quick on it... You could mess up a stock hood's mounting doing that as well though.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm kinda confused at this point. How is it even possible for the struts to not be putting pressure on the hood? The hood isn't lifted by magic, the upward force being applied on the hood is coming from the struts. So the struts aren't directly in line with these "pressure points" but the connection points where the strut attaches to the hood is putting pressure on it. All deriving from the struts. Even with the hood closed, it's not like the struts stop working. There is always that pressure being applied, the lift is just stopped because the hood is latched. If you took the shocks off and pressed by the ends with your hands there is still pressure coming from the shocks. In fact, the further the struts are closed, the more pressure there is. Just like a spring.

I'm not worried about those creases forming as much as eventual cracks in the paint developing. Paint itself is ever so much more brittle compared to fiberglass and it is very apparent that it can be damaged overtime if enough force is applied.

I'm by no means an expert at this type of work but to me it just seams plain and simple I talked to a local body shop and they told me that the pressure those struts are applying on the hood are way too high to leave them on. Considering the amount of strength needed to close a 25lb hood don't you think it's worth the investment on such cheap struts compared to the nearly $1000 invested in the hood? I have paid my car off and I plan on having this car 20 years from now and I would like for the hood to look the same as it does now.

DRSITES, did you get that part #?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Been doing a little research from old threads and I have found a few things. Most people do not and have not had any problems with the factory struts on a fiberglass hood but I have found a select few that have had problems. Most of these problems are just the hard time of closing the hood and eventual "bowing" of the hood while I have also found at least two people (still reading) that claim dimples formed. One was on an Ultra-Z hood and the other was from the VFN WS6 hood. Even though I'm not as worried about the dimples forming I still would rather prevent any other damage like paint cracks over the course of a LONG period of time. It's better safe than sorry.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian2006
I'm kinda confused at this point. How is it even possible for the struts to not be putting pressure on the hood? The hood isn't lifted by magic, the upward force being applied on the hood is coming from the struts. So the struts aren't directly in line with these "pressure points" but the connection points where the strut attaches to the hood is putting pressure on it. All deriving from the struts. Even with the hood closed, it's not like the struts stop working. There is always that pressure being applied, the lift is just stopped because the hood is latched. If you took the shocks off and pressed by the ends with your hands there is still pressure coming from the shocks. In fact, the further the struts are closed, the more pressure there is. Just like a spring.

I'm not worried about those creases forming as much as eventual cracks in the paint developing. Paint itself is ever so much more brittle compared to fiberglass and it is very apparent that it can be damaged overtime if enough force is applied.

I'm by no means an expert at this type of work but to me it just seams plain and simple I talked to a local body shop and they told me that the pressure those struts are applying on the hood are way too high to leave them on. Considering the amount of strength needed to close a 25lb hood don't you think it's worth the investment on such cheap struts compared to the nearly $1000 invested in the hood? I have paid my car off and I plan on having this car 20 years from now and I would like for the hood to look the same as it does now.

DRSITES, did you get that part #?
First of all it isn't a money issue since there are no DIRECT replacement, lighter pressure struts. The ones mentioned above aren't the exact same range...

Second of all, once again, when the hood is down the struts are NOT applying pressure UP against the hood. It's simple physics, go outside and look at how they are mounted. You have to assist ALL hoods up with your hand to a certain angle where the struts actually are pushing it up...

You're chasing the golden egg that doesn't exist... Your best/only option if you are truly worried about this is to go to a junkyard and get some old worn out struts. Find a car that has been sitting there with the hood up for a long time and you'll find some worn out struts that will not be strong like new stock ones
Old 05-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

Not to mention the fact that your top skin and bottom skin aren't attached where the struts attach to the bottom. IT'S FRIGGIN IMPOSSIBLE TO CAUSE STRESS ON THE TOP FROM A CLOSED STRUT ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM SKIN.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well it seems to be a loss cause to explain my reasoning. Maybe this weekend I'll take some pics and add arrows to the direction of stress I'm talking about.

If anyone has used or knows of any lighter struts that fit our cars let me know.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Well I have the struts from a stock ss hood on my oem ss hood, and when i open up my hood, it does not fly into the air like you say your hood is doing, and it is VERY easy to close...here are the numbers on my struts...compare them with the ones on yours...Remember, these numbers are from oem ss hood struts from my oem ss hood. Each strut has the same indications, which read: 4889ET 0345N 169/00 B20
Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

on my 6r i had aftermarket hood, used same struts, no big deal.

on my z28 i have had a total of 5 diff hoods, original, aftermarket SS, ultra Z, OEM ss, and now sunoco, and they all use the same strut, i have had no issues/problems with neither one.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Well I have the struts from a stock ss hood on my oem ss hood, and when i open up my hood, it does not fly into the air like you say your hood is doing, and it is VERY easy to close...here are the numbers on my struts...compare them with the ones on yours...Remember, these numbers are from oem ss hood struts from my oem ss hood. Each strut has the same indications, which read: 4889ET 0345N 169/00 B20
I applaud you... You are the first person in the YEARS AND YEARS that this debate has gone on that has actually gotten off their @ss and provided us with usefull information

My car's struts have a different number... They may be aftermarket (they said STABILUS from PA) but I don't think they are because they had the number "98" which is the year of my car.

Was your hood off of a 2000?

Mine say:

10273455 and 075/98C

I assume the 75 is for 75lbs. and the 98 is for my year, I could be wrong.

Let's get a 98 SS's numbers or a Z28's numbers that match your year and see if there really IS different struts for different hoods
Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll be home saturday to check out the part number on my 99's struts

Quick Reply: Lighter hood struts