Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, chrysler kid did brings up a very good issue. The wiring harness/plug might different from each model year group. If the connection menthol is different, how to wire the airbag system to make it function is a criticial issue since it MIGHT NOT plug and play. For example, the G6 auction link I posted has a pic for the back of the G6 wheel. Look carefully to the control buttom harness and the airbag harness (Yellow wire). It looks like the airbag wire MAYBE plug into our F-body plug. However, without plug in the control buttom harness, will the airbag still get signal?

Here's the look of my Montana steering wheel:

As you can see, pic 1 looks almost the same as on F-body steering wheel (Grand Prix and Grand Am use the same wheel and airbag). But look at pic 2 you'll see the major different is the airbag. It alot smaller and not bulky like the F-body. That's reason #1 for the swap.

Here's the measurement:

Pic 1 shows 15in OD of my Montana wheel. It's the same as the F-body. However, what's different is pic 2 and 3. Pic 2 of Montana rim has a thickness of a FULL INCH. Pic 3 shows F-body rim only 7/8in of thickness. That's reason #2 for the swap.

Here's what I think, the 97-03 Grand Prix got an update by 01. Now according to chrysler kid, 98-02 F-body has different airbag connection. So I assume F-body got an update by 01 also. Knowing this, matching the same year model group should very close to a plug and play. I'm gonna take my 98 Montana wheel off now and fit it over to my 99 Firebird. I'll post later.

PS: I know how nice to have a 13in steering wheel. A MOMO steering wheel w/airbag cost way over $500 IIRC.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very nice research. i would definitally like to see the results. im more interested in like a corvette steering wheel, but anything that is thicker and has a smaller airbag would be nice.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. What is the weight savings on the smaller airbag?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Looks good. What is the weight savings on the smaller airbag?
maybe it'll yank you 1-2 rwhp....
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can any C5 or C6 guy give me some info on this? I need to know what's the diameter of the threaded shaft?

chrysler kid, can you post a pic of your 02 airbag? I wanna see the wiring harness on the back.

Last edited by darknessxyz; 10-16-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing. i will do a cobalt steering wheel this winter if i can keep the airbag. i love the wheel in my Saturn Vue.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Didn't get a chance to take the van steering wheel out, well my wife driving it. If anyone get info pls post. I need the know the shaft diameter of different steering wheel. Also a pics of the back of the steering wheel/airbag from different steering wheel will be great. GM wiring diagram needed too.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
Can any C5 or C6 guy give me some info on this? I need to know what's the diameter of the threaded shaft?

chrysler kid, can you post a pic of your 02 airbag? I wanna see the wiring harness on the back.

i looked at my 98 airbag here at my garage. the 98 bag has a metal plate rivited over the back of the bag with the harness coming out from behind it. on the 02 airbag i installed the back of the bag had no plate, there was a funky male connector on the back of the bag itself, like in the actual backing plate where a harness SHOULD connect. i think in my initial description i said it backwards, the 02 bag i have does not have a harness just a male adapter to accept a femal plug. so to be technical i have nothing to splice since there are no wire at all coming from the back of the 02 airbag, i would need to get the airbag harness itself from an 02 steering column

im not with my car at the moment but i can take a picture of my 98 harness and the 02 bag hookup monday when i get back in town

Last edited by chrysler kid; 10-18-2008 at 03:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel swap