Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Which Shift knob should I get?
MBA Black Anodized with Pontiac Arrowhead
58.33%
Stock Thunderbird shift knob
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Which Auto Shift knob should I go for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Changing Auto shift **** to T-bird auto ****

I'm looking at replacing my stock leather T-style shift **** with something different.

Now, to begin with there aren't many different choices out there for us A4 guys. (at least it seems that way) so we have to settle for usually making a Manual gear shift **** into an Auto shift ****.

Well, here is my dilemma. I'm looking at two completely different shift *****.

I'm thinking about getting a Black Anodized MBA 2" w/tail **** with Engraved Pontiac Arrowhead

To make it functional with the auto release button I'm getting this adapter made to function by pressing down the **** to release shifter

The other **** is one out of a 2005 Thunderbird (yeah, I know. But its still a bird car! hahah)
Here is the Auto shift **** of a 2005 Thunderbird(Father's Car)

All I did was pop off the bottom end piece and slide it down to get to the screws that were holding it onto the shift lever

Now the **** on the Thunder bird is slotted to where the trigger is facing the dash. But the notches on the CETA shift lever will make the Tbird **** face to the driverside.

I was hoping that I would be able to get the **** to face forward like it does in the Tbird, but I still kinda like the way it looks sitting with the trigger now a "thumb" button.

I like the Tbird **** in the fact that it matches the interior and keeps that stock look while still being different.

Although I do like the MBA ****, it is anodized and I don't have anything else anodized in my interior and I'm afraid it will stick out more than blend in.

I don't know...what do you guys think?

EDIT: Pics of install of leather wrapped T-bird **** on page 2

Last edited by BANDITCAR; 08-07-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like that tbird ****, except that it makes the shifter look a mile high.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it is a little high, but that is something that could always be remedied by cutting down the metal part of the shift lever and clipping the end of the plastic "release" lever to allow the **** to sit lower.

Or I could just leave it that high and put a boot on the lever. I was thinking about getting the redline package (shift boot, ebrake boot and console lid cover)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt, need more input guys.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Teching In

i'm also liking the tbird ****. very unique and "one-off" though it could be replicated...i doubt you'll see it anywhere else. at least i haven't. but i have the MBA black andonized shift **** and love it. its a toss up. simplicity/clean look = MBA. custom/one-off = tbird. just my opinion.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

that thunderbird **** is looking pretty sweet but IMO I would just face it the correct way(w/ the button facing towards the front of the car)
Old 07-21-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

i also like the tbird ****. trim the stick down a bit and it will look perfect. so whats ur pops gonna do since u stole his ****? haha.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whicker94maro
i'm also liking the tbird ****. very unique and "one-off" though it could be replicated...i doubt you'll see it anywhere else. at least i haven't. but i have the MBA black andonized shift **** and love it. its a toss up. simplicity/clean look = MBA. custom/one-off = tbird. just my opinion.
Thanks, I am leaning towards the Tbird **** since it is kinda a one off thing. Also I have read that with the MBA **** on hot and sunny days that it can get really hot to the touch. Not that I would have to touch it as much as if I had an M6, but not sure if I want to have to worry about that.

Originally Posted by 01FormulaTA
that thunderbird **** is looking pretty sweet but IMO I would just face it the correct way(w/ the button facing towards the front of the car)
I would love to face it the correct way, but the notches in the actual metal shift lever make it sit like that. Fbody A4 levers have notches on the left and right sides and the Tbird has notches on the top and bottom. The **** itself has guide tabs that align it up that way.

Originally Posted by Yahelou
i also like the tbird ****. trim the stick down a bit and it will look perfect. so whats ur pops gonna do since u stole his ****? haha.
hahah, I just used the **** out of his car to see if it would work. I put it back in his Tbird soon after I took the pics. I'll have to buy my own Tbird **** but I'm having problems finding it online. I guess I'll have to go up to the Ford dealership Monday and see if the Parts dept can get one.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I like the other one better
Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the arrowhead or the bird that MBA has
Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

tbird +a boot for the win!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

I think that the T-Bird **** looks too shiny to be in there...
Old 07-25-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Does the Tbird *** just slide right on w/o any modification?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Does the Tbird *** just slide right on w/o any modification?

Yup, sure does.

On another note, I went ahead and ordered the Tbird ****. After thinking about it for awhile the reasons I went for it were:
1: Its more "custom" as in I will less likely see another Tbird **** in an Fbody whereas the MBA ***** are a more prevalent **** for Fbodies.

2: Living in the southern heat I have heard that the MBA ***** get blistering hot on a sunny day. Just one less thing I want to deal with. Even though I have an auto, my hand is accustomed to laying on top of the shift **** since I drove a manual for 10 years. Also since I do that I figured that the MBA ***** "press down to release" action might interfere with that.

3: The theme for my car has always been "Looks like is should have come from the factory" appearance. With the Tbird ****, it still has that factory appeal more than the MBA ****.

Although I didn't get the MBA **** right now, I'm still thinking about getting it later incase I want to change it up for a show or something.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

how do you swap them out?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CASHss99
how do you swap them out?

The stock T-style shift **** that comes in the car is only held on by a metal staple that is easily removed.
Engage your E-brake. Put the ignition into the "ON" position, but do not start the car. This enables you to move the auto shift lever all the way back so you can see where the staple is. Use a flat head screwdriver to remove the staple and just pull the **** off. It may seem like it won't come off, just give it a little twist enough to loosen it and it will come off.

From there you just take the other **** and put it on the same way you took the other one off. Although, the Tbird **** has 2 screws you use to tighten the **** to the lever instead of a staple.

I'll prolly take some Step-by-Step pics when I do the change over.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

cool thanks bro
Old 08-07-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally got in my T-bird shift **** and replaced my worn original T-style shift ****.
I thought I would post this here as I know the question of how to get the Auto **** off has come up now and again and I like to do these write ups with pics to help people out.

First step in the process is to remove the original shift **** which is quite easy. Just had to pull up on the e-brake and turn the key to the "on" position. Depress the brake pedel and put the shifter into 1st. Putting it all the way back will give you lots of room to see what you are doing.
There is a staple holding the shift **** to the lever and all I had to do was use a flat head screwdriver to pull it out.

Once the staple was pulled free, just pull up on the shift **** while twisting it just a tad to help loosen it.
Here is the shift lever exposed. The white shaft is the actuator for the shift lever release. Also note how the shift lever itself is notched to allow the guides inside the shift **** to sit a certain side.

Here is a comparison pic of the two shift *****. The T-bird **** is a bit taller so it is optional to trim down the shift lever to help it to sit lower. I did not trim the lever since I do plan on getting a shift boot at some time. (Of course, you can use any auto shift **** you want. Many prefer getting an MBA **** w/tail and the auto adapter.)

Shift **** before placing on shift lever. In the T-bird the button faces forward, but due to the notches on the Trans Am shift lever it only allows it to sit with the button to the side. Still functional and I quite like the look.

Placed the cap onto the shift lever first and then brought the shift lever down and tried to tighten down the screws. Well, the screws would not go all the way in due to the length of the screws.

So I decided for the quick fix and just wrapped some thread tape around the area under the notches in the lever.

Then just pushed the **** down slowly over the thread tape for a secure fit and pushed the end cap up to the ****. So that is that.

Love the way it looks and I'm glad I was able to get it wrapped in leather to more fit with my interior.

Last edited by BANDITCAR; 08-07-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

where did you get the tbird **** from?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Went up to the Ford stealership parts dept and ordered it.

It was $113. Yes...very pricey but I like it.

If anyone else wants one I suggest going to the parts dept and just finding out the part number for it and then ordering it online from like fordpartsonline for much less.

Quick Reply: Which Auto Shift knob should I go for?