Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

First time with a clay bar, and I am not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same clay bar kit (Mothers) and it worked awesome for me. I could feel a huge difference with just my fingers after only one pass. It did take 6 passes to completely clean my bumper though. I never press hard, I just go over the real bad areas continuously until they are clean. The nice part about it is, that once you do it the first time, it will be much much easier each subsequent time.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime I've used claybar, I've had good experiences.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Love the stuff!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

I usually aash with dawn to re3move the wax layers, and most stubborn build up, and try to get most black marks off scrubbing with my wash mitt. Its important to use a good wash mitt, however as cheap ones will mar the clearcoat.

I use Dawn as a lubricant for the clay as well. I figure it will help loosen the particles the claybar is picking up. Plus its an incridible lube.

I always clay before I polish. Otherwise, I'd figure I was just rubbing what the claybar would have picked up back into the paint, causing scratches.

My first clay took probebly 2 hours. Alot of elbow grease, motions over the same area. Subsiquent ones have taken about 15 minutes. Paint pretty must stays as smooth as glass now. I always have a fresh coat of was to take the beating instead of the clearcoat.

Try again using short, quick, back and forth motions, moderate pressure and Dawn.
Make sure to put a coat of wax on afterwords. Both Dawn and Claybar remove any and all wax or sealents.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude, you need a refund.
the first claybar i bought was the meguires kit. IT SUCKED. It always stuck to the paint, and didnt do anything besides make a mess.
Then I bought "Clay Magic". Never EVER stuck to the paint, always glides across the paint with little lube/water. I actually use the clay bar while I am washing the car. When I finish washing a panel, I clay it, then go to the next area. I dont use any "Quick Detailer / Lube" crap, just the water from the hose or wash bucket.
I use the claybar every car wash, then follow up with a dry off and wax. Been doing this almost every weekend to my girls car, and now It takes about 2.5-3 hours to do it all.

btw, I thought all these years that the Meguire's claybar was just plain garbage, but if it works for some of you guys, maybe the particular bar I bought was "bad" ? And maybe H21Surfer got one outta bad batch also?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI all claybars come from the exact same source. Only one place in the US makes them. So I have been told by a detailer friend.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was not meguire's, it was mother's. I really do not think it was the a bad piece of clay.

I went to check the car today, and I looked at the rear bumper (the worse with the specs), and It looked like it was covered in dust ( not a rare sight in OK ). I gave it a nice wipe with a towel, and about 90% of the specs were gone. It was like they were just sitting on top of the car! I dont know wtf is going on anymore. I am leaving first thing in the morning and wont be back for a few days, but when I get back I am going to try and wash it with dawn then use the clay.

BTW, I did go over the entire car and the clay does not even come close to be as dirty as some pictures of used clay that I have seen. Almost looks untouched.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

I have always had great results with my Mothers Clay bar.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
dude, you need a refund.
the first claybar i bought was the meguires kit. IT SUCKED. It always stuck to the paint, and didnt do anything besides make a mess.
Then I bought "Clay Magic". Never EVER stuck to the paint, always glides across the paint with little lube/water. I actually use the clay bar while I am washing the car. When I finish washing a panel, I clay it, then go to the next area. I dont use any "Quick Detailer / Lube" crap, just the water from the hose or wash bucket.
I use the claybar every car wash, then follow up with a dry off and wax. Been doing this almost every weekend to my girls car, and now It takes about 2.5-3 hours to do it all.

btw, I thought all these years that the Meguire's claybar was just plain garbage, but if it works for some of you guys, maybe the particular bar I bought was "bad" ? And maybe H21Surfer got one outta bad batch also?
all clay is basically the same .. manufacturer doesn't matter .. there are different levels of agressivness in the clay, but whatever label is on the package doesn't really matter.

you need to use somethign besides plain water as your clay lube .. either QD spray, or soapy water .. plain water is not the correct way to do it .. the clay won't do the job it should, and there is a high potential to damage your paint.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

nah, its fine with water or carwash sud's. The bar I got is almost like it has crisco built in. As long as the surface is wet and the bar is wet, it glides across the paint like a TJ Hooker impersonator.
The paint on the car is still perfect. We drive 700 miles everyweek, and clean it on sunday to get all the bugs and tar off, and always looks new again.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by H21surfer
the directions say not to press down to hard... Should I press down harder? I was sliding that bar across my car for about 5 hours and i was just not seeing that good of results. I don't have any bugs... It is just these pen tip sized specs, and I don't like them. I think the car looks pretty good, but I just felt like I didn't see the same results of some of you guys.
well it took me about 2 hours but i got EVERYTHING off. i scrub hard if needed and light if it's not bad. the clay bar works awesome and when i was done it was almost black, from the yellow it comes. that was second time, first time it didn't seem to work right but then i realised what i was doing wrong. good luck
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Another first time clay bar user here. Just finished. I've had the car for a year and have never waxed it. (sorry) I have to admit at first it doesnt seem like its doing anything, but then I decided to do the plastic bag test... AMAZING! clay barred area vs non barred area wass like driving over black ice vs railroad tracks!!!!

So maybe your paint was in good shape and thats why you're dissapointed. As for me i'll definately claybar next time i wax!

BTW, whoever said to cut the claybar in half in case you drop it, was a life saver! thanks ls1tech.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, the gf is on a cruise, and she just got a new car (which she wont know about till she gets back from the cruise) and i figured i would get her lookin like new again. ive never clayed, but know i have wanted to try it...guess id rather try it on her car first lol...guess ill see what i can do...this thread gave me some good tips, thanks guys
Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

The tiny specs (similar to what flies leave behind) is actually airborne pollution particles from your car exhaust or others' that find their way onto your hood and rear bumper while driving - and they are still hot when they land on the paint surface of your car and why they bond on and are so hard to remove.

I agree clay won't remove most of them. I found myself scratching them off one at at time with my fingernail - tedious - indeed.

Anyone have a better solution to remove these tiny specs? I tried bug remover which is petroleum based and it did not work.

Btw - my car is white so they are very easy to see. The tiny specs exist on dark colored cars too and why in previous posts users think the clay works - and probably doesn't - because you can't see the tiny specs on dark colors as easily as on silver and white paint.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
nah, its fine with water or carwash sud's. The bar I got is almost like it has crisco built in. As long as the surface is wet and the bar is wet, it glides across the paint like a TJ Hooker impersonator.
The paint on the car is still perfect. We drive 700 miles everyweek, and clean it on sunday to get all the bugs and tar off, and always looks new again.
plain water isn't fine .. just because it seems like it works, doesn't mean it is ok ..

not trying to be a pain .. but the claying process needs the lubricity to properly protect the finish either soapy water or QD .. no different than when washing .. the lubricity provided prevents the particles from damaging the finish, as it allows them to slide across the paint. plain water does not have that lubricity.

obviously, you do whatever you think works for you .. but don't tell people it is ok to clay with plain water, because it isn't .. especially when they won't be screwing up your finish, they will be screwing up theirs.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
The tiny specs (similar to what flies leave behind) is actually airborne pollution particles from your car exhaust or others' that find their way onto your hood and rear bumper while driving - and they are still hot when they land on the paint surface of your car and why they bond on and are so hard to remove.

I agree clay won't remove most of them. I found myself scratching them off one at at time with my fingernail - tedious - indeed.

Anyone have a better solution to remove these tiny specs? I tried bug remover which is petroleum based and it did not work.

Btw - my car is white so they are very easy to see. The tiny specs exist on dark colored cars too and why in previous posts users think the clay works - and probably doesn't - because you can't see the tiny specs on dark colors as easily as on silver and white paint.
claying should remove those specks .. but it can be time consuming ..
Old 08-02-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gipraw
claying should remove those specks .. but it can be time consuming ..
X2

One of the worst things for paint is your fingernails. Although they dont seem hard they can wreck havoc on your clear coat.

Just use more lubricant and press a little harder.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Made a huge difference on my car. It is not supose to stick. You need to use a lot of lube and it should glide over the surface. I used the Meguiars kit on mine.
I agree, you have to use alot of the spray detailer that comes with the claybar. I usually use at least 1 entire bottle when claying my SS. When I did my uncle's white LT1 Z, I used almost three, because it had alot of tar on the bottoms of the fenders, and the side of the body.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

the clay bar made my paint feels like a babys butt..... it works great... youll know when to add more detail spray cause the bar will "skip"
Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

A little follow up on this thread... Sorry to bring it back from the dead.

I washed the car today, and those specs I was talking about... Well they got bigger and more yellow (I think it is pollen or something like that). They were everywhere, not just the rear bumper. So, I reached and got that old clay bar (I have tried it a couple times since the first attempt),and started to try it again. Damn thing was not doing anything.

So, I threw the clay bar, and went to the store. I was looking for something to help with the situations. Thought about the liquid clay stuff, and decided there was too many bad reviews. Then, I saw a little blue clay man staring at me. Oh course, it was that little guy on the clay magic box. I was a little bit unsure about trying another clay bar, but I said what the hell.

So, I went home, and did a fast rinse/wash. I carefully read the directions (I was still unsure if I was doing it right), and started to clay the car. This was like a dream, the clay started picking up the yellow spots off my bumper with ease. I was so excited, I even did the plastic bag trick, and it was smooth as glass. So, I ended up doing the entire car, and it took 5 1/2 hours to do what I thought was going to be a fast wash (includes trip to store, and a dinner break). I finally unleashed the power of clay... Car is smooth, and looks great. I would have snapped a couple pics, but it was dark when I was done.

I am now a fan of clay. Maybe, my Mother's kit was old, and possible expired?... I am no clay expert, but I will never buy Mother's clay kit again. However, I will continue to buy their chrome polish because that stuff rocks.

Quick Reply: First time with a clay bar, and I am not impressed