TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are they orange specs?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
are they orange specs?
Same thing came to my mind while reading thru the thread. I will bet with it being a white car it is rail dust in the paint.

<-----Know first hand what a pain rail dust is.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

5 1/2 hours to clay ??????

I do it in 1/2 hour to 1 hour tops......

Don't know what to say here other than what were you doing for the other 5 ?????????

Hope you're not rubbing the heck out of it and causing some maring that you're not seeing yet.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clay Magic works great. Last time I used Maguire's Clay Kit and it worked great too. I love this ****. I've clayed mine every 3 months since I bought it in 2000. Just did my big *** truck and damn thing has a tonneau cover and it took forever. Thing came out great. It's victory red so I knew it worked. It didn't even look that good when the dealership gave it to me after their "detailing".
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had meguires get tacky on me, vs mothers worked better. I know they make different levels of aggressiveness with clay. You have to look at these detailing sites that sell them.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

the specs are a mixed between orange, yellow, and red.

5 1/2 hours was to do everything, and not just the clay. I was not planning on doing much more than a simple wash. I do not think I was rubing too hard. Car still looked good today.

I was just not expecting much results after that first mother's kit. I have heard they the clay was the same, but I am not very familar with this stuff. All I know is the last stuff did not do the trick, and this stuff did. The car looks great, and that is really what matters.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

i have always had good success with the clay bar, but i also use the meguiars clay kit instead
Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my Camaro I clay bar'd it. The rear bumper had black and orange looking specks on it as you described. Being a white car, and the rear of the car being the worst, you see everything. I have found that the exhaust emits particles of carbon, and mixed with road debris, there is the area of the rear bumper that falls to the way the wind blows over our cars. It creates like a cyclone effect which makes all that **** that is supposed to stay behind our cars attract to the bumper. Also the urethane bumper becomes full of static electricity which attracts crap too.

Clay bar is awesome. It made a night and day difference on my Camaro. I used a quick detailer as my lubricant for the clay bar. I would knead the clay every couple of spots to maintain a clean surface. It took me almost 8 hours to wash, clay, wash, wax, polish my car. I would recommend clay bar for any car, especially a white car. It really brought out the "depth" of the white paint.

Notice the reflections in the third picture:

Andy
Old 01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4get gto
5 1/2 hours to clay ??????

I do it in 1/2 hour to 1 hour tops......

Don't know what to say here other than what were you doing for the other 5 ?????????

Hope you're not rubbing the heck out of it and causing some maring that you're not seeing yet.
all depends on how contaminated the surface is.

I have spent 3 hours claying just a hood.

From this:

to this: (with a little rotary work also)

Old 01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used some cheap autozone clay kit on my arctic z and i saw a huge difference
Old 02-01-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clear up some things in here...

If it's orange flecks (rail dust) you'll need a "pre-wax cleaner" (as they are marketed in local stores) or a good "all-in-one" or paint cleanser from one of the better companies (Klasse, Zymol, etc.).

No way anyone should be spending more than 1.5 hours claying (MAX), unless MAYBE you're just starting out and have no idea what you're doing. If things aren't coming off with the clay bar within an hour or so, then you move on to a solvent to get rid of the surface contaminants (something like PrepSol), another paint cleanser, or more aggressive clay. I'm not trying to bash anyone spending this much time on it, just letting you know you're really wasting your time if you're spending that long (and if you're a detailer, time=money).

White.Lightning - I hope you didn't "wash, clay, wash, wax, polish" b/c if you polished after waxing, you just removed all the wax. Polish comes before wax. Wax (or sealant) is always the last step.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion in here!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not sure what you did wrong or as you said your paint is in great condition. But when i clayed my car it took off the brown tiny dots my car had on some body parts. And left the paint extra smooth and looked shinnier and i didn't even take the next step of wash, then wax and it turned out great for me. Im sure claying the car doesn't hurt and will help keep your paint looking great.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
White.Lightning - I hope you didn't "wash, clay, wash, wax, polish" b/c if you polished after waxing, you just removed all the wax. Polish comes before wax. Wax (or sealant) is always the last step.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion in here!
I use a quick detailer by hand after the wax is applied

Andy

Quick Reply: First time with a clay bar, and I am not impressed