Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Whose had insurance cover body work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whose had insurance cover body work?

I had a huge rock fly off of a rock truck and hit my hood. Couldn't find the truck, but it took a hunk off of the lip of my hood, almost in the center. Splintered the fiberglass of course.

One body shop said they could just do some fiberglass work and repaint the hood.

The shop that I trust however, (didn't see the hood) sent in a quote to have the hood replaced, repainted and the fenders blended in.

My insurance agent wants to come take a picture of the damage, which is fine. But I'm worried they will see it, and then be like "well its just small, just have it patched and painted".

Which is NOT what I want. I want a new hood and I want it to look like its still brand new. I am VERY **** at keep everything clean and stratch free. If I'm paying $500 for my deductible, I want it done right.

Any advice on what I should do? I believe I have the choice to have it sent where I want? I trust the one place to take care of my car...the other shop, I wouldn't trust the people that work there to hot rod in my car...not to meantion ruin my Spec 5 clutch!

btw, no other body shops I trust in the area...the sticks ya know
Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

bump bump
Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hate to tell you this but depending on the damage the insurance company will probably only pay to get it fixed.

I hit a street sign (blasted animals darting in front of cars) and it messed the bumper, passenger fender and hood. The price of a new hood is over $1000. Just the very front corner of the hood on the passengers side was messed up (Stock SS hood). About a 2in. x 2in. section. Insurance would not get me a new hood but got me a new fender and bumper (they are a lot less expensive than the hood).

The body shop I took it to will fix the hood as they said it was really to small to waste the money for a new hood (they have been written up in Car Craft, and other mags) so I trust their judgement.

Thing is, you get a new hood (you will have to dish out the money for the difference) and something like this happens again.

The only way to avoid it is to not drive the car. I use to be like you (heck I only drive the car on nice days, never seen rain or snow) and I wanted everything perfect then this happened to me. Got a whole new outlook. Enjoy the car, stuff is going to happen. Even driving it for 10 minutes you could get chips in that nice new hood. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Save the money and buy performance parts or appearance mods.

Enjoy the car

Just my thoughts on this as it just recently happened to me but with more damage.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I just figured, either way I have to shell out $500 to have it covered by insurance

my rates aren't goina go up, i asked.

So body shop 1 wants to fix the fiberglass...and i don't really trust their work...for $550

while the body shop I trust, will replace the hood, $500 out of my pocket.

hood also has stone rolls on it, and the one headlight has a ding in it because of another rock

yeah I'm ****...I'll get over it eventually..but I gotta get that hood fixed. Black car with splintered white fiberglass...yuck!

now my buddy....he got his entire front clip repainted because of a rock chip (several times!) and he has a Comp. Orange Cobra...some special paint...$$$...now thats drastic lol

so do i have any room to argue with the insurance company...IF it comes to that?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

I got my hood fixed but they repainted the whole hood so no more stone chips and such. Figure that will last until I get on the highway one day. The thing is our hoods are so long it seems to attract chips.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Yea they probably wont replace the whole hood. I would just have them cut you a check for the fixing of the damage minus your deduct. and have your shop put the new hood on. 1000 dollars for a new hood is a bit extreme i would say so I think you can do better in that respect.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

well i just got a grand total of $276 after my $500 to have the hood FIXED

what a waste
Old 07-31-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The insurance company owes for a "proper" repair. If the hood can be repaired & does not "need" to be replaced, that is what they will pay for.

If the structure of the hood is not damaged, which I don't see a rock doing, it should be able to be put back to pre-accident condition.

If you absolutely want a new hood & your insurance company thinks the old one is repairable, you can always pay the difference, plus your deductible & have it done your way.

BTW- Comp Orange is not high dollar custom paint.

EDIT, just saw your last post. Any decent body shop should be able to repair fiber glass & you should not be able to tell when it is fixed.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Unstang
The insurance company owes for a "proper" repair. If the hood can be repaired & does not "need" to be replaced, that is what they will pay for.

If the structure of the hood is not damaged, which I don't see a rock doing, it should be able to be put back to pre-accident condition.

If you absolutely want a new hood & your insurance company thinks the old one is repairable, you can always pay the difference, plus your deductible & have it done your way.

BTW- Comp Orange is not high dollar custom paint.

EDIT, just saw your last post. Any decent body shop should be able to repair fiber glass & you should not be able to tell when it is fixed.
Well the big reason I was hoping for a new hood out of the deal was because I was going to get the Superhawk hood from US Exotics, which is CHEAPER than the OEM hood. I still might fit it myself and just have the shop paint it.

I didn't think the Comp Orange was "high dollar" per say, but that "tone" of orange was only used for his 2004 I believe. I don't know...or care lol I just know he shelled out a LOT of money having it painted...several times lol

so I'm not sure what I'll do...hell, $276 wont even get me the 5-point harnesses that I want
Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have the car at the body shop when the adjuster comes to look at it. Have the body shop guy talk to the insurance adjuster for you and argue the point for you. That is about the only way I got a new hood for my car when mine got damaged. My hood was easily repairable, but I told the body shop under no circumstance did I want a patched up hood. They fought tooth and nail and won the argument for me. Hope this helps
Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks John,

Thats exactly what I'm going to do next.

Quick Reply: Whose had insurance cover body work?