Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Got my Hillco bolt kit in the mail

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hillco Bolts are Very, Very Expensive, I have a Set on My GTX that Has the Pontiac Logo From Hillco, Ended Up being Very Expensive, But it is about the Only lace that You Can Get Bolts with the Pontiac Logo on them.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheetoh
The Hillco Bolts are Very, Very Expensive, I have a Set on My GTX that Has the Pontiac Logo From Hillco, Ended Up being Very Expensive, But it is about the Only lace that You Can Get Bolts with the Pontiac Logo on them.
Wrong!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean.. if you are gonna go straight out all show I guess the price is worth it.. I just hate to spend 200-400 dollars on BOLTS. But if it means first place or second place.. I guess it is worth it.

The "last" piece per-say I guess.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

But if it means first place or second place.. I guess it is worth it.
Well, if my TA is any example, I've won 27 trophies (nothing lower than 2nd Place) most are for Best of Show, Best GM, or Peoples Choice (even won one for Best Sounding Exhaust - Hooker LT's, ORY, !Cats, and GMMG Catback).

All BEFORE the Hillco kit was installed (just last week). Course, like I stated, I already had removed ALL the factory bolts in the engine bay & any you can see on the engine, and had them chromed over the winter years ago. Cost thru my plater was between $1 and $3.50/ea bolt depending on size and whether there was a captive washer involved).

I'll try and get some pics of engine bay with Hillco kit - if they'll come out in the garage since it's raining again...

-Jay-
Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

SpdFrk1990 - not tryin to throw a wet blanket on your post - just wanted to give ya some insight on how to install.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the outcome - and I just got lucky to pick up a slightly used kit FS from a member for that price
Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No prob I actually stayed up and got them installed last night and it looks amazing. I had that same problem you were talkin about so it took awhile. With no directions you have to lay everything out and figure what goes where. Only time I had a problem was with the hood kit. You dont know where to use what nuts on what bolts and so on but I got it figured out. Pics will come soon I think it made a huge difference...

Edit: Im also very glad I got the billet spacers cause they look perfect with my setup. Only thing I need now are either polished valve covers or painted w/ frc's.

Last edited by SpdFrk1990; 08-07-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I got my complete Hillco Kit with red beauty washers from a member for $60. Nice kit - but the one thing you will find that is a PITA, is that all the insert washers have a hole much bigger than the bolt that is going thru them.

When you install; you have to try and align the beauty washer so that the bolt head is perfectly centered in the washer combo - fairly hard to do since the washer combo wants to spin off center as you tighten the bolt

I would tighten the bolt down just tight enough so the washer was starting to tighten up, tap the washer combo to get it centered under the bolt head, then try and hold it in place with fingers as I gradually tighten the bolt the rest of the way.

Made the install take 2X as long as it should have...

If you just go ahead and tighten the bolt as you would any other - all the washer combos will twist off center and look like ****.

Glad I didn't pay the full price from Hillco, as for that amount of $$ you would think they could use washers that fit the bolt tightly to alleviate this problem.

-Jay-
Wow, didn't know that. For that price you would think they would custom make the "beauty washers" to fit the bolts correctly. The reason I say custom is because no fastener manufacturer stocks fender washers in M6 or M8 sizes. The only sizes they have are about a 1/4 larger ID than the actual OD of the bolt threads; that makes for a sloppy fit.

We ream out every washer in our polished stainless bolt kits to fit snugly around the bolt so you don't have to deal w/ trying to get the bolt centered in the washer (which is a major pain, I know). Our bolt kits also come with easy to install directions and are available for Camaro's and Firebirds.

Camaro bolt kit: http://store.specializedstainless.co...t/Detail?no=80

Firebird bolt kit: http://store.specializedstainless.co...t/Detail?no=82

Not trying to clog up your thread, just trying to give other members an alternative that only costs $100 and looks just as good IMHO

And I never understood why they give the machine head screws for the throttle body & MAF but the rest are button head? Or why they keep the plastic fasteners for the bumper support?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

^ Your bolt kit would be awesome if you had the billet spacers it really does make a diff. It very nice though and worth the price but I got my hillco kit b4 I seen yours.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:21 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by toofazt
We ream out every washer in our polished stainless bolt kits to fit snugly around the bolt so you don't have to deal w/ trying to get the bolt centered in the washer (which is a major pain, I know).
That is a really nice added value. I reamed a few out, but that is not an optimal solution with already chrome plated washers. Dealing with the oversized ones is definitely a little annoying.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Heres a little preview ill get more shots this weekend.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks good!!.....I'm now curious as to how much I have spent with Hillco...think I'm going to add up all my reciepts from them.....haha
Old 08-07-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fyi........$646.03
Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by travisnd
Fyi........$646.03
I want a custom lid and frc's like yours now.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

patience my dear friend...
Old 08-07-2007, 09:22 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by travisnd
Fyi........$646.03
I am @ ~$370; no beauty washers. I am not certain how you ended up @ ~$650. I am running out of visible fasteners to replace. I have even replaced exposed fasteners for the timing cover, power steering pump bracket, power steering cooler, belt tensioner, water pump, vapor vent pipe, coil brackets, AC lines, and more.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
Heres a little preview ill get more shots this weekend.
Um yeah, that doesn't look totally badass at all...

Damn all you guys with your perfect engine bays, I don't even know why I bother looking at these threads, it just ends up pissing me off, lol.

Good job guys, way to keep raising the bar!!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

I still got alot of things I want to do but im slowly getting there. Polished caps for the washer bottle, radiator, mc. Polished or painted valve covers, a/c drier, and get all the rest of the bolts plated or polished. Possibly the wire mod too and I think ill be done then. I was so glad to get rid of the crappy looking bolts for the hood the new ones look a ton better.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

I demand more pics!!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

makes the engine bay look alot better how much are those kits ?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

R.I.F.

Quick Reply: Got my Hillco bolt kit in the mail