Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help me with car shows

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me with car shows

What do i need in order to get a trophy at a car show i have never received anything i will post up some pics, what do i need to purchase for the engine bay i dont want it to be tacky just nice and clean, post pics up and opinions please!!!!

Recently installed drilled Brembo rotors front and rear i know im not going to get a best of show or anything but a mustang GT with flames won the last show i was at in my category
Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some times all it takes is persistance, it took me 2 years to win anything with my '02 WS6, just keep it clean and nice looking, all mine has are silver blackbird stripes, and some stainless PONTIAC fill ins, and some Z06 motorsport wheels, but it's clean and swirl free.
Don't just go to the shows to trophy hunt, go to have a good time and don't worry about winning anything, I never did, just went and had fun
Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Kneepads.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Seriously - in your case - lower it and tint the windows. The CETAs get a lot of attention - it won't take much to start gathering some awards. Do not expect awards at classic car shows - judges at those shows practice age discrimination
Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Launching!

man i won a first when i was BONE stock. just had that car shining like no other, a dyno sheet displayed and a replica SS on the lid

btw this was in the domestic modified class against a few terminator cobras, a c5 z06, few roush's etc
Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

- Window Tint
- Wire mods
- Color-matched yellow/black theme in the engine bay
- black "firebird" on the front
- black side markers
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one thing, are you using tape weights on the wheels?
Make sure that the Emblems are right side up on the wheels, and that the tire logo is at the top. It may sound wierd, but I have seen this worth some major points.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slammer454
one thing, are you using tape weights on the wheels?
Make sure that the Emblems are right side up on the wheels, and that the tire logo is at the top. It may sound wierd, but I have seen this worth some major points.
True.

Also, make sure:

- air vents are all the same way (either fully open, or fully closed)
- Steering wheel is straight, along with tires pointing straight
- shifter is in "neutral" position
- headrests are at the same level

Basically make sure everything inside the car is at a 'resting' position, and all symmetrical and "clean" looking.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 trophys 2 1st place and 1 3rd place its all about how u show ur car. Nice and neat gets big points.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you go to ricer shows you need a ton of stereo video eqipement or you dont win nothing. If you do to an old school car show you stuck with a ton of other cars that in no way compare to yours since there is usually no Pontiac class.

The gaudy looking cars with zero taste and a ton of graphics, air brush work ect. are usually the ones that win car shows, clean untouched cars like yours dont do well at shows.

I disagree on the age discrimination, our cars appeal equally to all ages from my personal experience. I get more looks and complements from older people than I do the younger crowd.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 AM
FormerVendor

Do underestimate little things you do to make your car different than the next. Small things like doing the wire mod, then filling in the holes. Most people won't even notice whats different but they will think it looks cleaner...

Check out my site, I've got tons of stuff to get you started http://store.specializedstainless.com

On my engine bay I've got it set up so all the attention goes straight to my engine. Everything else kinda blends in and just looks clean.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

the big problem is the "Pontiac" in the rear, u want to win trophies get the car that says "Camaro" on the tail panel............lol no jk jk keep it shining and lower it! good luck bud
Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The most important factor is supposed to be cleanliness. Then comes modifications, and lastly, the presentation or stupid display stuff.
I seen at MAJOR shows, almost bone stock cars beat out a full-tilt custom, because of how clean it is.
I've judged a few shows and thats the most important thing, cause 99% of the cars at shows, are half assed clean. They might have beautiful paint and a flawless interior, but the engine compartment is filthy and the undercarriage has never-ever been clean.
So if you really want to win some shows start under your hood and under the car.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Launching!

I actually judge at about 3-5 events here in the Indy area every year. My main thing is everything being clean and finished. I dont care so much about the amount of mods done just everything being finished nicely. Dont start a major project unless you can finish it in a timely manner. But cleaning your engine bay and the back of the rims is huge for me. Paint wont always be perfect. The car gets driven... But it should be in the best shape you can get it. Tires should have tire wet on them. Chrome should be clean. INTERIOR CARPET MUST BE CLEAN. I do some many cars that look like a family just took a trip to kings island in it. So bottom line make sure the car is clean and let your car speak for itself. Might not always place but thats the name of the game.

Chad
Old 08-29-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replys guys, as far as cleanliness i am a clean freak about my car i had all the fenderwells spotless engine bay was cleaned, now i cant say i had the steering wheel totaly strait or even the emblems, most of the time i will post the dyno on the window and then put all my 35th anniv. paperwork in the back deck lid. I just need to work on it a little harder i guess and make sure everything is perfect. post up some engine bay pics if you have them.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

cleaniness is the key, like everyone else has already stated....heres a older pic of my engine bay, you get the idea....

Old 08-29-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Clean clean and clean.

Dont forget to clean the wheel wells and even shine the tread at a show. The black plastic gaurd under the nose. Shine all the alluimium with a all metal polish. Find out your build number and get a decal for it and also a head plate. Here are a few pics to give ya some ideas.

Last edited by 2001somws.6; 08-29-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Man all of those engine bays look awesome did you polish up your abs reservoir yourself?? and lines how did you do it?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02_CETA_ws6
Man all of those engine bays look awesome did you polish up your abs reservoir yourself?? and lines how did you do it?
Thanks. Yeah i used a 2000 grit sandpaper first and then a good all metal polish and a terry towel. There's alot under the hood to shine.