Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I AM SO PISSED AT DEALER!!! WHAT DO I DO!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I AM SO PISSED AT DEALER!!! WHAT DO I DO!

On Tuesday, I took my SS to the dealer because the air conditioner was just blowing hot air. I let them know real quick and I think they could see by the cleanliness of the car that I didn't want to leave it overnight and they promised it wouldn't. Well, guess what, it was the compressor which they had to replace and they didn't have one, it's 5:00 when they called me and they had to keep it overnight. They said they would keep it inside overnight, it was on the hoist and would be just fine. Okay, so the next day they call about 1:00 and say it's fixed come and get it. I did, it was raining and I just got in the car and drove away. Went back to work. Tonight I'm in the garage walk around the car and DAMN!!! When they put the car on the hoist on the left side they apparently didn't have the hoist sitting right and it pushed the bottom of the fender in front of the door out about an inch. I freaked. What do I do. I don't want to leave it there again. I am so pissed right now.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: I AM SO PISSED AT DEALER!!! WHAT DO I DO!

Common. Many idiots do not know how to lift f-bodys correctly.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THE FREAKIN DEALER!!!!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

They messed it up, make them fix it. I understand that they pised you off, but they are the only ones that can help you in this situation, unless another dealer will cover this one's ***.

--VIP1
Old 06-05-2003, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Another dealer probably wont cover this one's ***. Just a "hypothetical" here, but just b/c there may be 2 Chevy dealers in your town, both of them may not be owned by the same company, and they wont cover each others' ***.

Take it back to them. Its their fuckup, and by law, they have to fix it. Its the same thing, as if that compressor they fixed, just quit working tomorrow. The problem isnt fixed, so they have to replace that unit (and really, should do it free of charge, since the first unit they replaced was crap).

If its a good dealer, they should cover it w/o a problem, and really, if they were a good dealer, they would've called you and told you what happend, and said they'll fix it free of charge. Or, if the dealer cant fix it right there, they should know of a bodyshop that they can call, that will do the work, and the dealer should cover the cost. Afterall, it is their mistake...

I work for a Chevy/Caddy dealer, owned by United Auto Group, and on occasion, have had accidents w/ customers cars. We've got a bodyshop on locale, so those kinds of problems can be taken care of "in house" so to speak. Hopefully, they're a good shop, and the service director is on your side, if not, go to the dealers owner, and keep right on going, untill it gets fixed out of THEIR pocket. I wouldnt pay for that damage, being you didnt cause it.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is what I think it is, is the quarter panel not flush with the door, sticking out an inch? If it's the quarter panel that is sticking out an inch then you may be able to fix it. Look under the car around in the area of where you would jack the front of the car, on the side of the problem. Between that area of the frame, and the outside of the car, there should be a flange that is hanging down about an inch or more. There should be two bolts that bolt a piece of plastic to the flange. The piece of plastic is actually your quarter panel that bolts under the car to keep it secure.

Now, you may not entirely see this. What may have happened at the dealership is the accidentaly placed the jack on this flange, and bent it outwards. This will push the plastic piece of the quarter panel outwards too and make it stick out of the side of the car also. Just check to see if this is bent. Also, it may be a possibility that the plastic piece broke and no longer is secure under the car. Just check the good side, and then the bad side and see if there is any difference. Also, look at the black pins that are inside the wheel well. I think they hold the bottom of the quarter panel in place too. My car has the GFX so maybe mine is a little different.

If in fact the flange is bent, just get some pliers and bend it back. I think it would be much easier than going back to the dealer. If the plastic piece broke, you should be able to get a replacement. Mine on the driver side is broken but it pretty well secure with the pins on the inside of the wheel well, and the GFX. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Happens all of the time! That is why i ALWAYS stand right there while having my car worked on. (Jacked up) Take a rubber mallet to the area described above & gently tap into place until it becomes flush again. Pretty straight 4ward! Then go whoop someone's ***!!
Old 06-06-2003, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Watch out they don't say you did it in the rain jumping a curb or something like that! Go in and be nice about it. Most likley an apprentice worked on it and was too scared to say something to the advisor. If they deny it, get angry and call GM!
Old 06-06-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Personally, i wouldnt even touch it myself to try and fix it. I'd go right back to the dealer, and explain to the service director what happened. If you try to fix it yourself, i wouldnt be suprised if they try to blame the original damage on you, and wont fix a thing.

Like i said before, talk to the service director, and be cool and calm, and just state your case, and hopefully things will be worked out. If not, say you want to speak to the owner of the dealership, and work your way up the ladder untill you get the problem fixed.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

i had my dealer break my left front air dam... boy was i pissed! they were on top of it and had the new one there right away.. after that, i look my car over as soon as i get the keys.. look your car over before you leave the lot! the service mgr deals with me everytime i'm there now!

take the car back, like these guys said keep a level head...

Old 06-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Dealerships suck. Its scary leaving the car with them. My throttle was sticking so i brought it in. I got a call to pick it up. the guy that gave me the keys said he didnt know what was wrong someone else worked on it. On the way home I downshifted to pass someone and it stuck. this was the worst time cause it went up to the rev limiter.I called them first thing in the morning and they told me it wasn't ready,meanwhile the car was in my driveway
Old 06-20-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

exactly were is the right place to put a jack on an F-body? (shop style jack)
Old 06-20-2003, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

they told me it wasn't ready,meanwhile the car was in my driveway
LOL....
Old 06-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

first: fix it your self it's probably not that major, just tap the piece back at the bottom that is held with two bolts which is part of the front fender, in with small gentle strokes with a rubber mallet.
second: screw them on the customer satisfaction survey that GM calls on every visit. (remmember dealer ships make a big bonous if the (C.S.I.) customer stisfaction index/ is high. so let them have it.
third: don't go back find another location to take your car for service.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

exactly were is the right place to put a jack on an F-body? (shop style jack)
Off the top of my head I can't remember EXACTLY where to place the jacks, been lookin at the underside of too many cars lately. A good safe spot is the bottom of the differential housing for jacking up the rear, make sure it's square on the housing, not on the cover. For the sides, the pinch weld is considered a safe bet on just about any car. Shock mounts are also safe spots.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Its the fender not a quarter panel. The quarter panel is the one in the back!

This happened to me last month, same exact thing.

I took the car to Aamco for a fluid change. They popped out the bottom of both fenders.

I took teh car back the next morning, and they said they would fix it. I got an estimate and they paid the bill. I have the car back now and it looks great.

Dont worry about it, it happens alot more than you think it does. I was pissed at frist also. But they came clean and paid to fix it.

I didnt want to fix it myself because the actual plastic on the fender was cracked right next to the 2 bolts that hold it to the car.

Just be a nice guy when you go in. Dont be a hot hhead and im sure they will work with you!
Old 06-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Launching!

i had the same thing happen to me just the other day. i got some new tires put on. its going to be $563.00 for a good shop to fix it. im glad they are going to pay for it. youd think theyd know the lift points on these cars by now!!

Quick Reply: I AM SO PISSED AT DEALER!!! WHAT DO I DO!