projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
Could you elaborate?
Maybe I can help.
is selecting a projector based more on personal preference or do some fit better than others?i would prefer the one that requires the least modding to fit being this would be my first time trying something like this.and what is used to seal it
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Projector selection is based both on personal preference and some do fit better than others (all will require a good amount of modification). I used Acura TSX projectors which are just the right size in my opinion. Others have used the bosch projectors, Corvette C6 projectors, and the HELLA 90mm projectors. I got my TSXs off of ebay.
Honestly, it's not too tough of a project...just time consuming to get everything right and look good. Lots of measuring...test fitting...adjusting.
Use the FAQ posted by VIP1 and search for "camaro HID projector" or something like that and see what comes up on this board.

In the end I sealed everything up with some black RTV silicone and I haven't had any moisture problems.

good luck
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zfastss
Projector selection is based both on personal preference and some do fit better than others (all will require a good amount of modification). I used Acura TSX projectors which are just the right size in my opinion. Others have used the bosch projectors, Corvette C6 projectors, and the HELLA 90mm projectors. I got my TSXs off of ebay.
Honestly, it's not too tough of a project...just time consuming to get everything right and look good. Lots of measuring...test fitting...adjusting.
Use the FAQ posted by VIP1 and search for "camaro HID projector" or something like that and see what comes up on this board.

In the end I sealed everything up with some black RTV silicone and I haven't had any moisture problems.

good luck
i checked out VIP1 post and it helped alot,do you have any pics you can post or pm me
Old 10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 98MNBZ28
is selecting a projector based more on personal preference or do some fit better than others?i would prefer the one that requires the least modding to fit being this would be my first time trying something like this.and what is used to seal it
zfastss covered it well.

I used Hella 90mm H9 projectors because they are already sealed and in a Firebird they will be exposed to the elements so I didn't have the added step of sealing them. Admittedly, there are better projectors, but these are fine by me.

In a Camaro, since the projectors will be installed inside the stock housings, you can use a non-sealed projector. You might want to look for a TSX or E46 projector.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

what kind of projector can i use to replace the high beam?i want it to look similar to the dual projectors on ebay,but since i dont use high beam that often i was thinking doing 2 of the tsx projectors,do you think that will be illegal?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Technically speaking, installing HID lighting in any car that was not equipped from the factory with HID is illegal, but we all look past that
It's definately going to be a tight fit, and the cost of doing HID high and Low projectors is going to be pretty steep (you'd need 4 HID ballasts).
HID's are not often used for high beams because it is very bad to "flash" them, or have them on for only a short period of time. Remember that HID bulbs have to warm up for a minute or so before reaching normal operating conditions. Flashing your hid's will strain your electrical system since the bulbs need around a 20,000 volt spark charge to ignite the bulb.
The cars that do use HIDs for high beams use a special projector called a "Bi-xenon" projector which has a little motor inside of it that actually moves the cut-off shield to project the light further therefore giving you a "high beam". This way the bulb always stays on. These bi-xenon projectors are larger in size than regular ones, so fitting one might be a challenge in our engine compartments. If you really want a projector for the high beams, I'd just use a regular halogen projector (maybe with silverstar bulbs). Also, if the regular projectors are installed and aimed correctly, you probably won't even need your high beams. There's one install that I've seen on a camaro (I think it's in the FAQ) where the guy uses the HID projectors out of a C6 corvette for the low beams, and the halogen High beam projectors from the same car for his high beams.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by zfastss; 10-11-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

If you really want a projector for the high beams, I'd just use a regular halogen projector (maybe with silverstar bulbs).
Don't forget to use a high beam projector or modify a low beam projector's cut-off shield to be a high beam. The cut-off shield is shaped differently in addition (depending on the shield and projector design) to the light light being aimed a bit higher.

Also, if the regular projectors are installed and aimed correctly, you probably won't even need your high beams.
I disagree. You still need high beams.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=VIP1;7930879]Don't forget to use a high beam projector or modify a low beam projector's cut-off shield to be a high beam. The cut-off shield is shaped differently in addition (depending on the shield and projector design) to the light light being aimed a bit higher.

how do you modify a low beam projector cut-off shield?is there a certain high beam projector to look for?also,can i use a dremel to modify the back of my housing?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Modifying a low beam projector to turn it into a High beam, means that you need to let more light through the projector. You'd need to cut the cut-off shield down some (maybe completely?). I'm not too familar with this though, maybe VIP1 has some better advice, but I'm sure this is well covered on the hidplanet.com forums or even the FAQ on hidplanet.com
And yes, you can use a dremel to modify the housing. I did and it worked great for me.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Sorry, I don't know the high beam pattern. I've only seen it once. The shield is shorter and I think it was trapezoidal instead of flat/square. Then again, the one I saw was a b-xenon in high beam mode.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I used Acura TSX projectors which are just the right size in my opinion.
Any pics of that install?