Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tail Lights, home mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tail Lights, home mod

Does anyone know how to open up the tail lights on the 97-02 and be able to seal them back up?
I think the same way with the headlights... I wanna do this because I wanna make the orange area red.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how to open up the tail lights on the 97-02 and be able to seal them back up?
I think the same way with the headlights... I wanna do this because I wanna make the orange area red.
I have something simular in mind. But want to make sure I wont mess them up. I know with the head lights you have to put it in the oven or something like that? Any links or more info on opening and sealing the tail lights?
Old 06-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing that worries me about opening up the taillights is that a lot of people who put blackouts on their cars had dimpled tailights because of the heat. The heat was too much and would melt the plastic and it would get deformed.

So I'm a little uneasy about putting my taillights in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 degree temperatures if just exposure to heat from the sun can dimple them.

The headlights can take the heat, because they are designed to. The taillights not so much.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:23 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Here's a link to the smoked headlights mod. It will give you an idea on how to take off the lens and put it back on after you are finished:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...386&page=3
Old 06-21-2003, 11:12 PM
FormerVendor

The body man that did that rear panel is Whistler.
Seems like everything he touches turns to gold.
He is selling the rear panels. Around $150 I think... You supply the Vette lights.
IMO they look awesome on there.
Much better than rice lights.
Dave
That means my Z is Gold! Kick ***. He painted my car and he is by far the most talented fabricator I have seen. He has also helped do other subtle things on my car. Keep an eye out in the next dew weeks since the mold should be almost done. There are more pics of his car on my site in my sig.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:20 PM
FormerVendor

Here's a link to the smoked headlights mod. It will give you an idea on how to take off the lens and put it back on after you are finished:

Those were my 2 day old warranteed headlights we were doing for that write up. I would not put the tail lights in the oven. There are other ways to make the custom all red tail light mod, lol. He put that rear panel with the C5 lights on his car real quick just to get pics. That panel is currently being used to get a mold. Thats why it was just black. I have other pics of his hood and targa on my site in the sig.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Those were my 2 day old warranteed headlights we were doing for that write up. I would not put the tail lights in the oven. There are other ways to make the custom all red tail light mod, lol. He put that rear panel with the C5 lights on his car real quick just to get pics. That panel is currently being used to get a mold. Thats why it was just black. I have other pics of his hood and targa on my site in the sig.
What happened to those all red tail lights that were on the car before? If they are just sitting around somewhere i'll take them!
Old 06-22-2003, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

They are back on the car, the panel was on for 15 minutes for the pics.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

I would really be interested in instructions to doing something like that. It would be great to know how to make the amber portion of the taillight red or clear.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I would really be interested in instructions to doing something like that. It would be great to know how to make the amber portion of the taillight red or clear.
My plans were to do it clear, hopfully I can find a way out and make the amber part clear. I'll post some pictures
if all goes well. I have tired this 2 years ago a little after I first got my car but didnt trust myself. Now I have done all kinds of stuff with the car and I think I can do it.

Quick Reply: Tail Lights, home mod