Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What to buy.. Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
I would like to point out that VIP has the same projector housings as I do. It's all a matter of modifying the cut off. I'd also like to point out that in my pictures i'm a good 25' from the wall, giving the cutoff a bit more blur. And yes, I need to aim the right one down, and I should probably modify the cutoff in that one as well as it isn't too attractive.
What I meant to say, was a quality projector with a proper cutoff. It looks like you have some work to still be done on yours. Modifying a cutoff isn't as straight forward as it seems sometimes. Even the slightest variation in the placement of the cutoff shield can severely mess it up (too close to, or far from, the light source will cause the blur you are experiencing, TheGr8).
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
I would like to point out that VIP has the same projector housings as I do.
Yup. I was about to point that out too.

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Modifying a cutoff isn't as straight forward as it seems sometimes. Even the slightest variation in the placement of the cutoff shield can severely mess it up (too close to, or far from, the light source will cause the blur you are experiencing, TheGr8).
Certainly. Its delicate work. To make my new cut-off shields, my brother and I traced the old ones onto some sheet aluminum, cut the rough shape with tin snips, and got down to the line with files. Its a slow trial-and-error process. I mounted/dismounted them several times for final filing to get the line as straight as I could. To get the line sharper, while mounted with the halogen H9 bulb on, I slowly/slightly bent the shield by pushing/pulling on it until I got the line as sharp as I could.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I pull up this thread I promise.

I finally had a dry day so I went ahead and did a little more aiming and the result is pleasing to me:

also took a few comparisons on the road..

headlights:

Hellas and headlights..(disregard the colors, I'm not sure what happened)
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

It still doesn't look right.
I think they need to be rotated.
They appear to been pointed up in the middle.
The beams cross and almost make an X.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, they are crooked. Well, for now, they are much better than previously, and the cutoff looks pretty decent as well. I may have my bumper off sometime this summer at which point I will work on them some more to get them just perfect, but as of now, they look a lot better, and it's still a drastic improvement over stock

Quick Reply: What to buy.. Projectors