Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Firehawk - Dual Processor Computer Installed!! PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

dude you are the ****** man...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badass!!! I don't see myself doing it in the Camaro but the truck seems like a good candidate
Old 12-11-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the props! I'm always looking for something different and putting a comptuer in the hawk was right up my alley. Only thing I wished I have done was do it sooner. I'll enjoy it for a long time!

No touchpad or keyboard, it's all touchscreen. Centrafuse has everything I'd need to do anything and has a full keyboard that comes up on the screen if I need to put an address in the navi. They do make a USB Wireless Mini-Keyboard for XBox or some game station for $20 that my buddy came across that would work perfectly. Still kicking the idea of having that around for convience and WiFi adapter for internet, but not sure how much I'd use either. They'll probably end up happening though, just because.

I'll figure up how much it cost and post back....I'm kinda curious myself!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just saw this and wow! I would love to do this to my TA. It adds such a cool factor. Buddy of mine had something similar which he did to his 04 Boxster S which works really well. Fantastic work. I would love to know how much this cost and how long it took for you to do it.

-Brian
Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice... looks good. Are you using any sort of shut down controller on there? Or do you have to shut down before turning off your ignition? If you arent using a controller, you should look into them. Some are pretty "smart". You can set them up to do all sorts of functions depending on your ignition switch position.

Your bezel looks great! Did you lose some of the viewing area due to the covering that you used? looks like some of the edges got clipped a tad. Not bad enough to worry about...because that bezel came out great. Most guys use fiberglass and bondo and shape/mold it, then have to paint it and try to match the texture ect. Some guys make it look great, but most look out of place. Yours matches nicely.

Ive been looking to install a carputer in my thirdgen. But mainly Im looking for any excuse to build one. Im picking up a newer Cherokee soon, and I think that will be my candidate for the build.

If you havent already, and I imagine you have, you should definetly check out mp3car.com. Tons of people with info on their carputer set ups. There is a Camaro owner for one that I can think of with a sweet set up as well. Couple vette guys too. I dont recall any newer firebird owners over there though. Anyone contemplating a carputer should read up over there.

Good work again!.

J.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep it got clipped a tad on the edges since I tried to keep everything rounded and as stock looking as possible. I may try to make a new bezel at some point and use the stock Lilliput bezel as the face, mold it all together and have the LCD flush mounted instead of inset like it is now. Who knows though, my next to do is the ashtray with SD reader, USB port and reset & power switches. Hopefully this weekend.

www.mp3car.com is DEFINITELY where anyone needs to go for any and all information on doing this. It's a great wealth of resources all in one place!

Here's the total cost fo the build with everything I bought that I could think of. In hindsight, the computer only pulls 7-8amps at load so I could have saved money on a smaller PSU. Also didn't have to go dual processor, single would have worked with no problems. Lilliput also makes a same spec LCD for $50 less as well. I could have saved at least $200 in the install, but wanted to be fast and no strain on anything.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 AM
9 Second Club

That's sweet man. Could you do data logging with say HP Tuners with that thing? I assume you would be able to.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

questions: 1. alarm system does it work with the stock alarm or do you have an aftermarket or what in place for security?
2. do the steering wheel controls still work?
3. stability factor going over bumps, etc, did you do or need to do anything extra??
4. would you be willing to put together a kit like this for us much less electronically inclined guys including the ports and such for the ashtray which i assume will integrate mp3 players like i pods etc...., cuz i definitely think you hit the market niche right here you could be very rich bc think about the fbody community that would want this...
good luck great job and htanks for the info it is awesome and i cannot wait to do this

5. ooh 1 more would this be able to integrate with the software to read all of the cars performance stuff?????????? that would be awesome....
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you show us Instalation pics? Where you located everything?

Congratulations, I have been thinking on doing some similar, but yours is very awsome.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

WOW man thats pretty sweet. I wish i was smart enough with electronics to do that .. I've always wanted a DVD player in mine .
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep you should be able to use a tuner in dash with this. Just plug it up the serial port or USB or however it'd connect and you'd be good to go. Another thing Centrfuse has on it is a diagonistic. All you do is hook an ODBII to serial connector and it should have full reading it all that stuff. It just monitors things, no tuning though you can reset SES lights.

Yeah I do need to take a picture of where it's mounted. I've held off on that because it's not pretty and clean. So if I take a picture, don't hold it against me! LOL. It's basically just the mobo mounted to some 1/4" plexiglass with the HDD mounted vertically. I'm making a case on it out of, I think, a sheet of alumium ASAP. I have no idea where to buy that though, anyone have any thoughts?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I missed a few questions...

For the shutdown controller.. I have an Opus 320w PSU which has a built-in shut down controller. right now it's setup that when I turn the car off, until I open a door it stays on, just like a stock radio. I can also set it up for XP to go into "stand by" for up to 2 hours, so it'll still be running with min. current usage and if I get back in the car it just wakes up.

1. have my stock alarm still installed though I have installed a CompuStar XXX900 remote start on top of it. Computer affect neither.
2. Right now the steering wheel controls dont' work. that's definitely something that will come really soon, I miss the ease of volume and track switching with them. I have the PAC-SWIX already and all I need is a $50 box that will go between the PAC and computer to allow me to use my steering wheel controls again. I forget the company that makes one, but I'll find out.
3. From what I've read, no one really has problems with the hard drives, but I do think they will have a shorter life in a car. I have the hard drive mounted on it's side and vertical as well as a "shock" system to absorb as much as possible. It doesn't skip a beat or anything now.
5. I'm sorry I can't do that. If I had a company with people and someone wanted it done and brought the car to me it'd be feasible. But shipping stuff would be a different story. Making something like even just the bezel would be feasible but actually removing the bit of plastic at the top and drilling out the holes to move the HVAC down a bit would be up to the car owner and if they didn't remove enough and forced it to much and cracked the screen or control board I'd have no control over that. Plus with all the misc components to the system, it'd be hard to have an overall warranty for it. The good side, if you have money to burn, go with the InFill G4
http://store.mp3car.com/MP3Car_G4_po..._p/sdk-014.htm
and mod you stock bezel to accept a double DIN headunit and you're set! Wire it just like an aftermarket CD player and go! Just to throw this out there, if someone with a camaro wanted to go the InFill G4 route and wanted to Camaro bezel, a buddy of mine made double DIN bezel for his old SS that has been sold. He still has the bezel if anyone's interested in it.
5. Yep it has a diagnostics in Centrafuse to monitor all that stuff through the OBDII. You could install LS1Edit or whatever on the computer and actually tune it too if you wanted.

5. ooh 1 more would this be able to integrate with the software to read all of the cars performance stuff?????????? that would be awesome....
Old 12-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Launching!

That looks unbelievable...where did you get the vinyl for the faceplate
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

All I can say is
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

That looks awesome!

QUESTION: What kind of software did you use for the controls and logo for radio and everything?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats sick! Awesome job.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Launching!

that is incredible!! you have some unique and impressive skills along with a bad-*** system. love the amps you are running, van gohs are awesome! keep up the good work
Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats great, looks like an awesome project.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya how did you get it to say "Pontiac driving excitement" or whatever??

Also do you have it wired in with your speakers also, so if your watching DVDs it still plays the sounds in the correct speakers? ALso im guessign its running your subs to right?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the vinyl from Hancock Fabrics. $5 for a yard which was way more than enough to do and redo it.

Centrafuse is my front end to control it all. www.fluxmedia.net is the web address for it. A guy on the mp3car.com forum initally built it for himself and it took off from there. It's an awesome program, IMO the best one out there now but everyone has their opinions for the front ends. I used Flashnet's skins he made and with his permission I swapped out the logo on the main menu for a Firebird emblem I made with AutoCAD and Photoshop. I wanted to put a Firehawk emblem there, but it just didn't look right and I'm limited on the size it could be, so I went with the firerbird emblem instead. I also swapped out the start up splash logo that use to say Centrafuse for the Pontiac one, which I also made with a Photoshop/AutoCAD combo.

Those amps are pretty awesome! I've had them for 3 years now with no a hicup from them! Kinda wish I wouldn't have gone with MB Quart components, but they have lasted the last 3 years though. One day they'll blow and I can get some Kappas, I've always been impressed with them.

Yep the mobo has integrated sound and video on it. 5.1 surround output from it. I just used some 3.5mm to RCA jacks on each one for my front, rear and sub/center so I had RCAs that go straight to the amps. Even though it's integrated sounds I have ZERO engine/cpu noise throughout the system. The sound quality is alot better with the computer over my old headunit too! Alot cleaner of a sound plus I can change the EQ and tweak it alot more as well.

Quick Reply: Firehawk - Dual Processor Computer Installed!! PICS!!!