Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Firehawk - Dual Processor Computer Installed!! PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice
Old 12-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...thanks alot *******, after about a week of looking at it, ive decided it needs to be done...more money wasted, and i blame you... jk
thanks alot for the idea, the spec help, and more importantly the write up.
any other crazy ideas you have, mom doesnt need a christmas present lol
Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Absolutely incredible, great work!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Great job Del, You are friggin insane I love it How much to install 1 in the Camaro. It's come along way since you saw it on the ferry years ago... Keep up the inovative ideas.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is freakin sweeeet!!! nice work
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by badride42
Great job Del, You are friggin insane I love it How much to install 1 in the Camaro. It's come along way since you saw it on the ferry years ago... Keep up the inovative ideas.
Oh so true! Man, kinda weird you say that, I hadn't been back to Galveston till last weekend...ferry and all! Thanks for the props everyone, glad people appreciate the weird stuff I do!!! I love electronics (hence the few motor mods) and glad my fellow f-body people appreciate my work!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

God damn thats beautiful!!!! Cant imagine whats next
Old 12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno, is there anything electrical I haven't done? LOL! I gotta think of something else....took me a while to find the carputer thing which not many have done, but who knows!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If anyone is interested my old setup is for sale!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/832247-trans-am-7-screen-hu-custom-bezel.html#post8329767
Old 12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah, this is just what I needed to see.

I'm working on building my car stereo now, and really couldn't bring myself to upgrading the head unit solely because I hate the way they look. I plan on building a carputer within the next year, and don't know why I haven't already lol, I have all of the stuff...
Old 12-20-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely worth it, I highly recommend! Didn't have any real problems with anything either. It was all pretty much straight forward.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you use a UV deflective sheet over the LCD screen? I'm curious as to how the LCD screen is mounted up. I was thinking of cutting myself a bezel/mounting board out of wood. Mount the screen and backlight on one side (spaced about 1/4" from the wood), and then mount the controlling circuit board on the other side of the wood, where the holes would be pre-drilled to mount it on motherboard-style spacers to help it sit however it sat originally.

EDIT: Also, how did you wire it to your amp? And how is the CPU going to keep from overheating when the car is turned on from sitting out in the hot summer sun?

Last edited by Amoretti; 12-20-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks great man.

You did an amazing job.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

damn thats ridiculous

wow
Old 12-22-2007, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Drool!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks peeps! They make a transreflective LCD, but $200 versus $700 is alot of difference. On my old setup, I had just a typical LCD and I had no glare but on this one there is some. IMO I don't think it's really the LCD that reflects, it's actually the touchscreen. I'm thinking of redoing the bezel after I built my enclosure and mold the stock Lilliput bezel into it and having it more "flush" with the front of the stock bezel. If I do, while it's out I'll get some transreflective film and open up the LCD itself and apply it to the inside.

My amps are hooked up just like an aftermarket HU, through the RCAs. They have a connector that's $2 each and it plugs into a 3.5mm (headphone size) jack and has RCAs out of it. I have zero noise too. Right now it's just mounted on some plexiglass under my seat, but I have an old computer case that's fixing to get cut up this weekend for a nice and pretty enclosure. If it comes out like it looks in my head, it'll be powdercoated. There'll be fans on each end to pull/push the head out of there like a home computer.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

okay here is a question, how did you run the power to the computer? Did you hardwire it from the battery or are you running an inverter? I have an xbox in my car right now that i am running off an inverter i am in the process of hardwiring to my battery, but it has an extra plug, seeing this i am seriously debating on sticking a computer tower in my car, but i dont want anything too big, how hard was it to build your own computer? I am thinking about doing a rear seat delete and putting the xbox and a computer tower in it.

also what are you using for a remote turn on for your amps?

Another edit,
I have a laptop at home that does not get used, would it be easy to take that apart and just add a larger hardrive and put a new case around it?

Last edited by transambandit; 12-26-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.opussolutions.com/index.php?p=product&id=49

Just ran a 8ga power wire from my fused distribution block under my hood for the power. It calls for a 12ga, but I had 8ga cable laying around anyways...rather have too much than not enough anyways. Out of the Opus, it plugs directly up to the mobo and power switch. When you start the car, 10s later it turns the computer on. It also has a remote wire for my amps plus an aux regulated 12VDC power for my LCD as well. It's all jumper configurable so you can set it for different time frames. Oh yeah, it'll also allow the computer to go into standby or hibernate for up to 2hrs before it shuts it down, just so there's no boot up time.

Building a computer is easy, basically just pick the components and it all plugs up. Then load XP and Centrafuse and copy your music/videos over and you're done. I let my computer "burn in" for a week or 2 while I was running wire and making my bezel. I wanted it to burn in so if there was some sort of problem with the mobo, HDD or memory it'd show itself before it was installed in the car.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great, reminds me of how messienation had his, wonder if he redid his
Old 12-26-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
http://www.opussolutions.com/index.php?p=product&id=49

Just ran a 8ga power wire from my fused distribution block under my hood for the power. It calls for a 12ga, but I had 8ga cable laying around anyways...rather have too much than not enough anyways. Out of the Opus, it plugs directly up to the mobo and power switch. When you start the car, 10s later it turns the computer on. It also has a remote wire for my amps plus an aux regulated 12VDC power for my LCD as well. It's all jumper configurable so you can set it for different time frames. Oh yeah, it'll also allow the computer to go into standby or hibernate for up to 2hrs before it shuts it down, just so there's no boot up time.

Building a computer is easy, basically just pick the components and it all plugs up. Then load XP and Centrafuse and copy your music/videos over and you're done. I let my computer "burn in" for a week or 2 while I was running wire and making my bezel. I wanted it to burn in so if there was some sort of problem with the mobo, HDD or memory it'd show itself before it was installed in the car.
So if i wanted to use my laptop i have laying around i could, in theory use the inverter i allready have in my car to power it right? Or would it use too much power? Then i just use a USB port to connect to the touch screen?

Quick Reply: Firehawk - Dual Processor Computer Installed!! PICS!!!