Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Experimental Lowering Technique, does this look good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whistler
I think it looks sick. The body work on the fenders and quarters would be fairly involved, but IMO worth it in the end. The only thing I don't like about your plan is the air ride. I'm a fan of fixed low suspensions that handle well and that are engineered to be free of issues with turning and driving. But that's subjective... if you like air ride, it's your car!
Fixed low suspensions have their issues too. You can't get a floor jack under it when you get a flat (I carry wooden blocks), scrapes when driving onto a lift or flatbed wrecker, simply can not go up or down certain driveways (have to park across the street and walk), can't have any low spoiler in the front, etc...

I hope you don't think having air springs means it won't handle well or that it will have issues with turning and driving.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you. There is no right or wrong answer, it's all personal preference and execution. If executed properly either will work great, I just prefer the fixed road race style suspension to an ajdustable. I rode in an old Chevelle with ART's air ride suspension that handled awesome and changed my opinion of air bags completely. (although most are thrown together hack jobs in slammed trucks)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this car is not gonna be goin to the dragstrip right? Cause if you do want to drag race I would reconsider the setup.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by roadhog_113
So this car is not gonna be goin to the dragstrip right? Cause if you do want to drag race I would reconsider the setup.
I've had it 5 years and have never taken it to the dragstrip.

For the sake of argument, lets say I was into drag racing. I could air up the front to raise the nose, take some pressure out of the left rear bag to make the right rear dig in more and then launch the hell out of the thing. Why would I reconsider the setup?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chaman
If we were to assume this car were real, what size would these rims be?

I wonder if some larger rims, like 20" with a decent sidewall, could be fit something like those donk cars down south. Then open up the wheel wells a little and slam it down. Basically a slammed, big rimmed look. Not so much like the Jada look, though.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's an interesting example of how to lower a car.

Stock CTS:

Same exact model prepped for racing:

Notice the raised floorpan. It actually looks raised more in the front than in the rear and then they raised the wheel wells. It makes it look so much more aggressive. If I were to raise my engine and trans a mere one inch, that could translate into being able to lower the car one more inch. That would be huge.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

After taking a few quick looks and measurements it seems like it may be possible to raise most of the K-member up about an inch. This would raise the engine as well as the rack which would help as far as reducing bumpsteer. It will also raise the lower A-arm mounts which tend to hang low as well as the exhaust.

Maybe a tubular K-member would be the way to go?

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the caster area on the K-member would fit the body.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-10-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a cool comparison between the two caddies. They really chopped up the bumper too, I like it. Notice how they moved the fuel door back a good bit? You might run into the same problem.

I was thinking about my car, the fenders on third-gens flare out around the wheel. It would be really simple to just cut them off and weld them up a bit. The only thing is there isn't that much room to play with and it might look funny because I'd have to compensate for the fender's outward angle before the flare. We'll see, maybe I can find some pictures of some Firebird race cars to change my mind.

As for moving the K-member up. I'm not sure how you plan on doing that - are you talking about moving the mounts up? It might be easy enough to start with one that has a single tube going through the middle, hack it off, weld it higher, then brace it and add another tube or whatever. It would be easy enough to move the engine up a bit, you might run into clearance problems after that too.

I'm just throwing out ideas/opinions, sounds like a fun project though

Quick Reply: Experimental Lowering Technique, does this look good?