Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What clear coat to use with VHT Nite Shades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What clear coat to use with VHT Nite Shades?

I'm smoking my tail lights on my silverado today and was wondering what spray clear I can use on these. I know that automotive clear sprayed out of a spray gun would be the best but I don't have access to one so I was wondering what's the best can clear coat that I can buy? I found a can that I had laying around that says it's for wood and metal so I was wondering if that would work or not. I believe it's called Plasti Kote, and it did say something about acrylic on the back. Thanks for looking!

Thanks,
Derek
Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a spray can of clear from autozone on my side lights. I think it was Duplicolor. They turned out good. Its been over a year, and they still look good.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackBADaSS02
I used a spray can of clear from autozone on my side lights. I think it was Duplicolor. They turned out good. Its been over a year, and they still look good.
Thanks man! I went to a local truck store in my area and picked up some clear in a spray can. I already had my 3rd brake light sprayed with VHT and went ahead and put 2 coats of clear on it this morning and it turned out really good especially since it came out of a can. I just put 3 coats of VHT on my tail lights and just finished up with the second coat of clear. So far so good!

Thanks,
Derek
Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Sweet! Glad you didn't go to walmart and try to use the clear for plastics...I did and it came out white! lol autozone ftw
Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the duplicolor Truck, Van and RV clear last week on mine.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Sweet! Glad you didn't go to walmart and try to use the clear for plastics...I did and it came out white! lol autozone ftw

Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Simply take to a local auto body shop. Next time they are spraying clearcoat they can do the taillights also.
It'll look a lot better than doing it yourself with a spray-can, to have a professional do it with the right equipment.
And it shouldn't cost ya more then $10-20. What's the cost of the spray can? $2-5? Wouldn't it be worth it to have it done with a really nice final finish?!?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go to your local bodyshop supply place and get cut-in clear. Its actual automotive clearcoat in a spray can. I've used the Evercoat brand with great results.

Quick Reply: What clear coat to use with VHT Nite Shades?