Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How to avoid paint swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to avoid paint swirls?

Any tested suggestions for avoiding swirls in black paint?

My car has swirls and one day I plan on trying to remove or make them less noticeable. However my wife has just came home yesterday with a new black mustang gt, and I'm just looking to help her keep it clean.

I still prefer the formy
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Touch the paint as little as possible lol. Use a two-bucket method handwash only with quality mits/soaps. Use quality microfiber towels or air to dry. Keep a good sealant on the paint. That's about all you can do! The more you rub something on the paint, the greater the probability for swirls.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

very high quality wax. wash with high quality mit. that's about all you can do. DONT EVER DUST IT OFF!! that causes swirls instantly no matter what you use to dust it
Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to dry, use a blower. to polish/wax, use an orbital buffer. that should do it!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Yeah, On my car you can really see the swirls especially toward the end of the day when the sun is at just the right angle
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for swirls i use 3M swirl remover for dark colors then a coat of nxt if it real bad i use 3M black pad glaze then the swirl remover then nxt all applied with my high speed buffer at 2200 rpms with black egg crate pads then the nxt with a orbital buffer.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

My answer is to put it in a bubble and never touch it.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for the replies.

I've really been searching for info. Really has me looking at the bird and realizing the swirls in the white paint....
Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
My answer is to put it in a bubble and never touch it.
AMEN TO THAT! yeah bro.. black... is a extremely hard color.. even if u kept it in a garage all the time u still r gonna get dust and crap settling on the paint so when u go to wash it... POW! no matter what rinses off yer still gonna rub some crap into it.. to not have them is like asking for a million bucks to fall from the sky..... to keep em to a minimum... just be extremely light on the paint.... make sure u got a goood coat of wax on that thing...
Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This is very sound advice here.

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Touch the paint as little as possible lol. Use a two-bucket method handwash only with quality mits/soaps. Use quality microfiber towels or air to dry. Keep a good sealant on the paint. That's about all you can do! The more you rub something on the paint, the greater the probability for swirls.
Now that you have a dark color car, it will be very difficult to keep the surface scratch-free unless you keep it in a protective bubble all the time. It is inevitable that some minor blemishes may occur over time no matter how careful you may be. The key will be having the correct tools and techniques to deal with them when they occur.

Learning to use a Porter Cable buffer is important as it will become your best friend. Having a white car with a swirl-free finish can be just as impressive as a dark or black car. It is very user friendly for beginners or novices, will not burn the clear coat and able to remove a broad range of scratches and blemishes.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Default Clay Bar!

My car used to have a lot of swirls, but after one use of the clay bar I found that 90% of my swirls were gone. Just make sure you do a coat or two of wax afterwards.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Using a clay bar has zero effect in removing scratches and swirls from the paint.

It's purpose is to remove gritty-feeling contaminants such as tree sap, paint over spray, bugs, tar and rail dust. By sliding this clay over lubricated surfaces, it will safely skim these particles off surface and trap them in the clay bar. Once this procedure is completed, the surface should feel as smooth as glass. At this time, the surface can now be inspected for treatment to remove swirls and scratches that may have been previously covered by fillers, old waxes and previous contaminants.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

i forget the name at the moment, but a company makes a glaze buff polish for black cars. it is designed to eliminate swirls. i used it on my red car with excellent results. also when u wax, DO NOT wax in circles, this leaves swirls; go in a side to side motion. use microfiber rag to take off the wax. if u have dust still on the car use a "detailer" which is basically a spray on wax (i recommend System One) and a clean microfiber.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

We've been detailing cars for years. The best advice we can give you is to always dry you car in the direction of the body lines and non circular pattern. The eye more easily focuses on scratches in circular patterns as they catch the light and look chaotic.

As far as removing swirls, as Steve said, you need to polish them out. A nice glaze also helps to hide any swirls you may have and achieve that wet look.

Quick Reply: How to avoid paint swirls?