Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hunsaker vs Mad Racing seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hunsaker vs Mad Racing seats

Anyone with opinions on either are welcome. I'm looking to replace my standard 99 TA grey leather seats. The driver seat bottom absolutely sucks, the car has 42k miles on it. It's like sitting on leather with some 1/8th inch cheap sofa foam that collapses when 50lbs sits on it. I was looking these obviously due to price and they look ok. I think the Hunsaker looks a little better, but don't know anything about either. I definitely am not looking to spend $900 @ seat. Just want something that looks somewhat matching, but is more comfortable as I have no tail.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You may be able to fix the stock seat for almost free. The foam sits on a bed of wires that over time cuts through the foam. If you disassemble the seat bottom and place something stiff between the foam and wires, that should raise the foam back up to almost stock height and improve comfort.

A free fix is to swap the bottoms of the passenger and driver seats. The seat bottoms are identical (not the tracks, just the actual seat bottom). The only thing that needs to be done after disassembly in the swap is to move a threaded clip from one side of the seat bottom to the other side and bolt it up to the opposite seat.

At least that is the situation with my cloth seats. The seat bottoms on mine are swapped. The frame of the bottom seat portion of my driver's side seat was cracked. I swapped bottoms and sent out the broken frame to be welded back together. When I got it back, I installed it on the passenger seat. The leather seats should be the same.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-04-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

I do remember reading that once. I guess it wouldn't hurt anything as I hardly ever have a passenger. Thanks, I was checking out some seats at summit, but I'm not so sure about them. I know, you get what you pay for most of the time. I also know some guys at an upholstery shop. I guess I could get some material from them.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

mad racing is a good, cheap step up from stock seats. theyre not fantastic quality, and despite what many people say, arizens are made much better. but for the price and for a driver/weekender, theyre a very good buy. i got a single arizen because i autox my TA, and am getting a harness bar and 5pt harness setup. mad racing doesnt offer a sub belt slot.....so i went with arizens.

Quick Reply: Hunsaker vs Mad Racing seats