Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Write Up: Traction Control relocation (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably 5ft to be safe man. do the wire mod then measure. Shouldn't be too hard to do while doing the wire mod.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks waaay better. makes me glad i dont have tcs, but makes me wanna do the !wire mod that much more
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subbin so i dont loose the thread.....bring back the dead......
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if i wanna remove the tcs module all together but KEEP my cruise control, i just need to unplug it, remove all the cables and reinstall a throttle cable from a non tcs vehicle? Where and how does the cc work then? And how much of a pita is it to put in a new cable? Sorry for all the questions but i get REALLY nervous messing wit the wiring!!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Wreeealllllaaayyyyy.... I've been wondering if I can move this anywhere..

That's it. I'm doing this today...

Been wanting to get that damn thing outta there.. But I just did the wire mod. I may have to tear that back apart to pull the TCS wires through.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Wreeealllllaaayyyyy.... I've been wondering if I can move this anywhere..

That's it. I'm doing this today...

Been wanting to get that damn thing outta there.. But I just did the wire mod. I may have to tear that back apart to pull the TCS wires through.
Just unplug it and tuck the wire and don't worry about tucking it back in... your cruise will still work, and you wont ever have to turn off your traction control... or just get the non TCS throttle cable and delete it all together for a 5-6lbs like me
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnet
Just unplug it and tuck the wire and don't worry about tucking it back in... your cruise will still work, and you wont ever have to turn off your traction control... or just get the non TCS throttle cable and delete it all together for a 5-6lbs like me
And does your CC still work? Trying to find the answer to this question. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Magnet
I deleted my cruise a long time ago. The module was split open when I hit a snowbank back in 03 and never fixed it. Just eliminated it.

I'm thinking he/we unplug the ASR/TCS, clip the connector off pretty far back, reference the wires under the cowl, and splice it back in. Instead of pulling the wires back, un-pinning the connector and doing it the long way. I'll figure it out.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Teching In

awesome, believe i know what i'm going to be doing tomorrow
Old 08-28-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have any good ideas of where to relocate the LT1 traction control to? I moved mine from over the driver side valve cover to a bracker I made that mounts to the driver side shock bolts, but I would really like to move it out of the way. I couldn't really find a good spot with the short cables.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

well just got finished relocating the tc module. Thank you so much for the write up, I love the new clean look
Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so, you have to extend the wires when you do this? i thought I read in another thread that you don't...I may have my painter relocate mine since he's going to paint the engine bay while he has it, and wanting some clarification.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Ok Would two 5ft sectcions of 12 gauge wire w/ 18 volt max work for this
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

No matter what I tried I couldn't get the PCM out, I sat outside forever trying to wiggle it out somehow, but finally just put it all back together.

I guess I'll just have to remove the bracket the hood bolts to by the fender for some extra clearance.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

I put mine right behind my pcm and I still have tje cables going over the intake what did I do wrong I don't see any cables in halls engine pictures

Come on guys any pics
Old 05-05-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by junior98
No matter what I tried I couldn't get the PCM out, I sat outside forever trying to wiggle it out somehow, but finally just put it all back together.

I guess I'll just have to remove the bracket the hood bolts to by the fender for some extra clearance.
If you disconnect the wire harness you can pull out the pcm from the plastic bracket. You can then remove the plastic bracket. You can also pull out the push clips and pop up the wiper cowl on the passenger side to give you some more room.

The plastic bracket holds in the PCM, I think its just a tab and the PCM will slide straight out the top.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirebirdTransAm
If you disconnect the wire harness you can pull out the pcm from the plastic bracket. You can then remove the plastic bracket. You can also pull out the push clips and pop up the wiper cowl on the passenger side to give you some more room.

The plastic bracket holds in the PCM, I think its just a tab and the PCM will slide straight out the top.
Can you pull out the push clips without breaking them? I've never been good at that. lol
Old 10-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Sweet mod!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by presto_z
this is a write up on how to relocate your traction control unit out of site by placing it behind your PCM

I did this because i can not stand the look of it (most people agree it looks like crap sitting infront of your battery

Time:30min-3hours depending on your skill level, and if you have the wire mod or not (will take longer if you do)

Tools:
ratchet with socket sizes
7mm
10mm deep
13mm
and an extension
Phillips head screwdriver
wire cutters
soldering iron
heat gun
heat shrink
a few feet of wire
solder
zip ties

here is a before picture

notice i did the wire mod, so it may look slightly different then yours
a write up for the wire mod can be found herehttps://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173263

and after

i also took off all stickers

step 1. disconnect battery
step 2. disconnect the wires from your PCM, there are (2) 7mm bolts holding the harnesses on
removed

step 3. very carefully slide your PCM out being sure not to damage any of the electrical pins,you may be able to wiggle it out of there with out loosening any thing else. i had to take out the (2) 10mm bolts that hold the PCM bracket in

step 4. once your PCM is out clean out all the leaves that have gathered underneath it over the years

step 5. take out the (2) 13mm bolts holding on the traction control unit. one is located on top in plain view and the other is facing the battery (also disconnect the electrical plug)

step 6. take off the bracket that is on the traction control unit, it is held on by (2) 10mm nuts. now use that handy screwdriver to unscrew the plastic clip holding the electrical wire to the bracket

step 7. now you are ready to put the unit behind the PCM. carefully place the TC unit into where the PCM sits(moving a big wad of wire out of the way so the TC unit can sit further back (if you remove a plastic retaining clip you can get some more slack out of the wires).
The plastic end with the cables goes in first making sure not to kink the cables. you can build a bracket to hold it, or do what i did ZIP TIES. zip tie the top half to the hole where the electrical clip you just removed was, and the bottom half to the big bundle of wires like shown below

you are now ready use the wire cutters/strippers, heat gun, heat shrink, solder, and soldering iron to extend all of the wires. if you have gotten this far you should be able to extend the few wires without needing me to write up how its done (its hard to explain, but easy to do). i have the wire mod done, so my wiring is ran differently then stock.

after you are done, hook your PCM back up, then your battery. your car may run rough for the first 15 seconds or so since u disconnected the PCM. dont worry you didnt break your car

i hope this helps

cred: Snuffles
as far as i know he is the first person to relocate the TC unit behind the PCM
and DansRedz28 for additional pics and inspiration on this MOD
just what I was looking for thanks for the write up
Old 06-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Cool

I'm actually proud that I did this yesterday! The engine bay looks a million times better! I need to drop and extend my amp kit wire on the drivers side next! Also... my car placed for top 20 at a car show 6 hrs later! LOL! I was excited! First Trophy!

Quick Reply: Write Up: Traction Control relocation (pics)