Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Write Up: Traction Control relocation (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what size wire ties did everyone use to hold it securely in place, and did you get them at the local parts store?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
what size wire ties did everyone use to hold it securely in place, and did you get them at the local parts store?
I don't know what he strapped his to, but mine isn't strapped at all. But it is behind the PCM, but was a pain to get it to stay there while I put the PCM back in. You can get a back of ties at Home Depot. A bag of a 1000 are around $20. I have a drawer full of about 5K ties.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I secured mine with a insulated wire clamp and ziptied the bracket to the clamp... been working fine almost a year now
Old 10-05-2014, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping this. Does anyone have the bracket that holds the TCS canister?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by presto_z
this is a write up on how to relocate your traction control unit out of site by placing it behind your PCM

I did this because i can not stand the look of it (most people agree it looks like crap sitting infront of your battery

Time:30min-3hours depending on your skill level, and if you have the wire mod or not (will take longer if you do)

Tools:
ratchet with socket sizes
7mm
10mm deep
13mm
and an extension
Phillips head screwdriver
wire cutters
soldering iron
heat gun
heat shrink
a few feet of wire
solder
zip ties

here is a before picture

notice i did the wire mod, so it may look slightly different then yours
a write up for the wire mod can be found herehttps://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173263

and after

i also took off all stickers

step 1. disconnect battery
step 2. disconnect the wires from your PCM, there are (2) 7mm bolts holding the harnesses on
removed

step 3. very carefully slide your PCM out being sure not to damage any of the electrical pins,you may be able to wiggle it out of there with out loosening any thing else. i had to take out the (2) 10mm bolts that hold the PCM bracket in

step 4. once your PCM is out clean out all the leaves that have gathered underneath it over the years

step 5. take out the (2) 13mm bolts holding on the traction control unit. one is located on top in plain view and the other is facing the battery (also disconnect the electrical plug)

step 6. take off the bracket that is on the traction control unit, it is held on by (2) 10mm nuts. now use that handy screwdriver to unscrew the plastic clip holding the electrical wire to the bracket

step 7. now you are ready to put the unit behind the PCM. carefully place the TC unit into where the PCM sits(moving a big wad of wire out of the way so the TC unit can sit further back (if you remove a plastic retaining clip you can get some more slack out of the wires).
The plastic end with the cables goes in first making sure not to kink the cables. you can build a bracket to hold it, or do what i did ZIP TIES. zip tie the top half to the hole where the electrical clip you just removed was, and the bottom half to the big bundle of wires like shown below

you are now ready use the wire cutters/strippers, heat gun, heat shrink, solder, and soldering iron to extend all of the wires. if you have gotten this far you should be able to extend the few wires without needing me to write up how its done (its hard to explain, but easy to do). i have the wire mod done, so my wiring is ran differently then stock.

after you are done, hook your PCM back up, then your battery. your car may run rough for the first 15 seconds or so since u disconnected the PCM. dont worry you didnt break your car

i hope this helps

cred: Snuffles
as far as i know he is the first person to relocate the TC unit behind the PCM
and DansRedz28 for additional pics and inspiration on this MOD
Good job. looks bad ***.

Quick Reply: Write Up: Traction Control relocation (pics)