Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hid question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default hid question....

looking at an hid set up and midfying stock housings. is this all i would need besides some time on my hands?
http://www.hidplanet.com/rs6.html
Old 03-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There are several different options on projectors and how to make them fit and look good.

Check out the forums over there (www<dot>hidplanet<dot>com/forums/) for more info.

When you go through the retrofit, if you take pics and write something up, I'll add it to the Lighting FAQ here.

Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html

BTW, there is a link in the Lighting FAQ to a WebShots page with pics of Camaro headlight housings with Hella 90mm H9 projectors installed. Those RS6 projectors are most likely a better projector though since they are an actual HID projector. (The Hella 90mm H9 projector is halogen, but woirks well with HID. There is an actually HID version available - nearly identical - but it costs much more) . That is not a slight against the Hella 90mm H9 projector. It is a good projector (I have them on my Formula with a 4300K HID kit), but there are better options available. I chose the Hella 90mm projector because Its already sealed which is good for the exposed headlight location on a Firebird. On a Camaro, you have headlight housings in which you can mount projectors and seal the back in a variety of ways. Other good projector options would be: TL, TSX, FX, S2000, Porsche/Murano, etc... Many people like the FX projector because its a good size, fairly easy to work with, easy to get, and easy to modify. Many people also like the TL & TSX projectors for the same reasons, but slightly less so although the TL & TSX do have better output than the FX. There are some other protectors that offer greater beam width (I think SC430 or LS430 is one, but I'm not sure if I have the model number right), but they are physically larger, harder to get, and more expensive.

The WebShots pics in the Lighting FAQ should be a good starting point. Also check out the HIDPlanet forums for more info and ideas on sealing up the back of the housings and making shrouds to fill the area around the projector in the headlight bucket.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-24-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://community.webshots.com/album/116863233uyEamc

that is the look im ok with but more or less i want the output. my g/f's c6 has incredible output at night and i wanted a similar output. but i want it to have the cutoff etc that an hid is supposed to. not the blinding light of other because they just swap the bulbs. i didnt notice are those audi ones a sealed unit? basiclly am i going to be able to cut a hole in the back of the housing, slide this in maybe half way, seal the hole, and not destroy anything?
Old 03-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

You may have to cover the back of those Audi projectors too. I'm not sure if any part of that projector is intended to be exposed to the elements (most projectors are intended to be completely encased inside a housing). I've seen some installs where people create a capped tube on the back of the headlight housing to cover the back of the projector and I've seen some installs where only the bulb holder was exposed and they just filled the gap between the projector body and the headlight housing with jb-weld.

Here are a couple threads to see what I mean in both instances:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40095
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39690

I noticed that in the description, it says that those are LHD (Left Hand Drive) ECE projectors. If LHD means Left-side-of-road, then you may not be able to use those (you may be able to modify the cut-off, but then again maybe not).

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like RHD means "right hand side of car". In the USA, we drive on the Left hand side of the car, so a LHD projector should be the the correct one for us. I get the terminology confused sometimes.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-24-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

bump.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Any progress?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

any progress?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget the bulbs. D2S bulbs not included with the link you posted.