Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Outdoor Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdoor Car Covers

What do you guys recomend for a waterproof car cover?I bought the noah thinking it was going to be good, and when it got here today i was pretty dissapointed. I havent used it yet but its really thin looking, it looks like it could barely absorb dust. I am returning it back and i really need something heavy duty that can withstand a good rainfall.

I have a black car that i keep outside in the summer months and i need something that is 100% waterproof with no excuses.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Covering a car can be very misleading. You don't want something 100% waterproof. You want a vapor permeable car cover so that moisture doesn't get trapped underneath. Your car isn't going to stay 100% clean underneath the cover... unfortunately that's life. But once you pull the cover you could just give it a quick wash (maybe even just a rinse) and be fine.

I had my car in storage for the winter under a car cover under a car port of sorts with 3 open sides. When I pulled the cover after the first 2 weeks, the car already had a light covering of dust. I just pulled the car out 2 weeks ago from 2.5 months of storage and with just a quick rinse, it was very clean.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i understand the whole moisture deal, but i dont plan on having the car stored under it or anything, I plan on leaving it there when im not using it or just before it is about to rain. When the time comes to take it off, i wont be needing a car that will let moisture escape, as it will be uncovered anyways and either being driven or detailed.

Anybody with a good outdoor car cover that is really good for rain?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

After covering a couple black cars outside during PA winters I came to the conclusion that covering them was harder on the paint then not covering them. I tried all the best of the best outdoor covers and was never satisfied with any of then.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much did the Noah cost? The reason I ask is I have one that came with my SOM car that I don't need and was thinking of listing it in the classified section but have no idea what its worth. (I have a extra SLP cover I use since it stays inside.) Are there different grades of Noahs because mine is a lot thicker than the SLP cover and says its water, snow, dust and sun proof on the tag.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
How much did the Noah cost? The reason I ask is I have one that came with my SOM car that I don't need and was thinking of listing it in the classified section but have no idea what its worth. (I have a extra SLP cover I use since it stays inside.) Are there different grades of Noahs because mine is a lot thicker than the SLP cover and says its water, snow, dust and sun proof on the tag.
Thats a good question man, i paid 150 for my noah from summitracing.com. My noah looks super thin, i cannot believe that its a 4 layered car cover.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
After covering a couple black cars outside during PA winters I came to the conclusion that covering them was harder on the paint then not covering them. I tried all the best of the best outdoor covers and was never satisfied with any of then.
Fair enough, however i dont plan on putting the car outdoors in the winter, i just need it to block off the summer rain falls that is all. Which of them that you used would you say is the best then?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Launching!

I own a California Car Cover (Noah) and I love it. It retails for $230 and I picked it up used for $100. I think for me, it's main purpose is to save me time from washing every other day.

I daily drive my car probably 4 days a week except in the winter(none). I usually wash my car once a week now that I have my cover, before It was about 3 lol

I start with a clean car, have fun driving, then park the car and cover for the night. This is what saves me time. The cover is just enough to keep the morning dew off. Before, the dew settles on it, then all the damn dust in Cincinnati would find it's way to my car. Then it dries and now it has to be washed again. - With the cover I fold up the sides, roll it up, and do a quick detail with some WIZARDS Mist n Shine (good stuff) or LUCAS OIL Slick Mist (also good stuff)

I do that most of the week until Friday or Sat. when its time to show off

Hope this helps
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpoldUP
I own a California Car Cover (Noah) and I love it. It retails for $230 and I picked it up used for $100. I think for me, it's main purpose is to save me time from washing every other day.

I daily drive my car probably 4 days a week except in the winter(none). I usually wash my car once a week now that I have my cover, before It was about 3 lol

I start with a clean car, have fun driving, then park the car and cover for the night. This is what saves me time. The cover is just enough to keep the morning dew off. Before, the dew settles on it, then all the damn dust in Cincinnati would find it's way to my car. Then it dries and now it has to be washed again. - With the cover I fold up the sides, roll it up, and do a quick detail with some WIZARDS Mist n Shine (good stuff) or LUCAS OIL Slick Mist (also good stuff)

I do that most of the week until Friday or Sat. when its time to show off

Hope this helps

Ya but how does it work in a good rainfall tho? I need something that can take a good rainfall without makin my car dirty.