Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Should I?
Do it! Looks mean and makes the car very unique.
59.24%
Don't do it! It looks horrible! Leave them polished.
20.38%
Chrome them, easy clean up plus bling.
14.65%
Paint the centers a high metallic silver and be done with it.
1.27%
Other (please explain in the post)
4.46%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Am I Ruining My Car? Big Decision, Possibly Defacing CCW 505As

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would look sick with the matte black and spice lips... but I think you'd get tired of it after a while and want some shine back. As much as a PITA it is to polish the wheels, you'll miss the final product.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most I would do is to powdercoat the centers and barrels silver. I'm sure someone, somewhere could do the brushed finish...I'm going to have brushed iForgeds on my next ride with polished alum lips, but of course they will be ordered that way.

Another thing...I really only care for the black on a multi-spoke wheel, not like the split five spoke like the 505a's.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it on the Vette's, but honestly with the new spoiler and leaving the CCW's as they are, I think that would look best. The painted look may get old and boring quick.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

360 Forged style

I like it on their wheels, but not so much on the CCWs. The 3 piece design finishes off the look IMO.

I personally wouldn't change them. A brushed finish with a polished lip wouldn't look bad, but doesn't flow with the car.

I know how it feels when its time for a change. But pretty much any of the options you listed will work well.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 AM
12 Second Club

Those last pics of the C6 was awesome! If they turn out haf as good on yours it will look awesome! The photoshop of the roling car was realy nice, it makes the car look more "finished". I would love to do such a thing on my rims but since my car is black it wont work, but if I buy new CCW's or other brand i will defenitly have them powdercoated gunmettal gray in the midle.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by AbsolutHank
The most I would do is to powdercoat the centers and barrels silver. I'm sure someone, somewhere could do the brushed finish...I'm going to have brushed iForgeds on my next ride with polished alum lips, but of course they will be ordered that way.

Another thing...I really only care for the black on a multi-spoke wheel, not like the split five spoke like the 505a's.
Thats what I ended up deciding too. Great on thinner multi spokes, not so hot on the thicker split 5s like the CCW 505As.

I got polished for a reason. They look classy and set off the Spice Red paint nicely. Chrome looks cheap IMO. And brushed just doesn't look "right" either.

I ordered up some new car care products and I've given them a shot this week. The car got rained on half the week, I drove it every day, and I washed it tonight. The wheels cleaned right up with soap and water. I dried them off with the car, added a layer of polymer sealant (Duragloss #501), and topped them off with some spray wax (Optimum Car Wax).

People are used to treating their wheels like wheels. Metal that doesn't really need much care. If you put the same basic care into your wheels that you do into your paint (regularly wash, always keep protected with wax/sealant, etc) then daily driving polished wheels isn't really that bad at all. You just have to make yourself be ok with having funky wheels if it rains for a few days because they show dirt and grime alot better than clearcoated wheels. A quick wash though and they're back to shining like brand new.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would look tight! Do it. Although, your goat looks amazing as it is.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the idea. i havea driend with an M3 and he has red lip with black ace and i think it is sick. i would do it to the camaro if it wouldnt look stupid cuz of the stepped lip.

imo i say go for it!
Old 05-17-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

be even more different. Leave it chrome and paint the lip.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Thats a tough choice but I think it looks better the way it is. The painted wheels look hot on the vettes, but I think it looks a little ricie on the GTO.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Teching In

do it. that looks sick. font really see that to often so i say go for it.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Try it, if you don't like them, as somebody else said then just get them chromed
Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Thats what I ended up deciding too. Great on thinner multi spokes, not so hot on the thicker split 5s like the CCW 505As.

I got polished for a reason. They look classy and set off the Spice Red paint nicely. Chrome looks cheap IMO. And brushed just doesn't look "right" either.

I ordered up some new car care products and I've given them a shot this week. The car got rained on half the week, I drove it every day, and I washed it tonight. The wheels cleaned right up with soap and water. I dried them off with the car, added a layer of polymer sealant (Duragloss #501), and topped them off with some spray wax (Optimum Car Wax).

People are used to treating their wheels like wheels. Metal that doesn't really need much care. If you put the same basic care into your wheels that you do into your paint (regularly wash, always keep protected with wax/sealant, etc) then daily driving polished wheels isn't really that bad at all. You just have to make yourself be ok with having funky wheels if it rains for a few days because they show dirt and grime alot better than clearcoated wheels. A quick wash though and they're back to shining like brand new.
Good decision man. I completely agree, chrome looks very 'plastic' to me, polished wheels are great IMO. Although my Fikse's only have a polished lip, the Boyd's on the blue car were polished and I DD'd that all the time, they clean right up as long as you give them the attention you do the paint.

That's me just reiterating what you said, count 1 worthless post for me for today.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Trust, dude, when the hell did your car get wicked!? Last I saw it was bolt ons on Boyds. Not you're rolling FM/10s with a built motor and blower? SICK dude! The car looks great in that signature shot. Link to a thread with more pics of it?

If I was still in a F-Body or ever get back in one Fikse FM/10s is where I'm headed for sure. They take the cake for me on 'birds.

EDIT: Doh, didn't notice you got a completely new car. Still want to see pics of this one though. Linkage good sir.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Trust, dude, when the hell did your car get wicked!? Last I saw it was bolt ons on Boyds. Not you're rolling FM/10s with a built motor and blower? SICK dude! The car looks great in that signature shot. Link to a thread with more pics of it?

If I was still in a F-Body or ever get back in one Fikse FM/10s is where I'm headed for sure. They take the cake for me on 'birds.

EDIT: Doh, didn't notice you got a completely new car. Still want to see pics of this one though. Linkage good sir.
I dunno if I'm delusional or not, but I double checked, and this thread was up top almost in this section, but it said you posted in May, lol, I'm freakin' confused.

I'll see if I can dig up the post on the car, I have one somewhere!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it looks good man..... leave it alone, but not that what you wanted to do was bad..... i think its just too much of a gamble is all
Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Good decision on leaving them alone. Now only if I can get you to help me get mine back clean like yours life would be good.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like what you have now. my .02 cents
Old 08-03-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say go for it. It isn't something you see everyday. Im biased though.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

I think you should do it, never seen that on a GTO, be unique =) And there isn't a damn thing rice about it, it's a fast car.. it's a matter of style.

Quick Reply: Am I Ruining My Car? Big Decision, Possibly Defacing CCW 505As