REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Default REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics

Hey guys, finally did the deed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...038122264&rd=1
Followed a couple others and for $300 shipped got them to my door. They came with everything but the poly spacers which fixed the gap and aiming issues simultaneously. After 3.5 hours of installing (including some epoxying of a broken housing!) they look great and are solidly mounted.

The ridges and LEDs do not stand out during the day and are completely unnoticeable with the lights on/at night. The CCFL halos are damn bright and when they are all on (wired them into my fogs), the visibility is tremendous. For those wanting a stealth approach, leave the halos+LEDs off and it has the front look of any other new car at night. The clear corners are nice enough though you will likely want to change your park/signal sockets when you do it. They tend to burn.

The QC on these is OK, not great. The ballasts are noisy, and the lights flicker after long periods of sitting (getting hot with no airflow). One side is also brighter than the other. This could be because the polarity was switched on both ballasts on one of the plugs from the manufacturer. Usually there is an fool-proof pin to prevent that, but I suspect the multi-use manufacturing of these got rid of that. So it was switched on a few times with reversed polarity before we noticed it and fixed it. That could be the culprit. The housing plastic is cheap and broke when I was adding one of the spacers. Doh! Not a show stopper and gave time for a beer break.

The light pattern on the projectors is nice, the cutoff is distinct as VIP1 said it should be. I was surprised how good it is, actually. The lights (6500k)aren't quite as bright as the BMW/Acura units, but they are very very close for a fraction of the price. The bluish tint is VERY slight, when they go out, I'll likely grab ledgauges' 4300 kit. These are comparable whiteness to the Silverstar bulbs I had with a noticeable bump in brightness, coverage, and precision.

Better lighting, no more polishing foggy lenses, and really updates cleanly the front of the car. I was afraid it would be ricey but it's not IMO. Overall, I wish I had done this sooner. Good mod and worth the expense.

PICS:
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-003.jpg   REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-009.jpg   REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-002.jpg   REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-014.jpg   REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-016.jpg  

REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-001.jpg   REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-006.jpg   REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-008.jpg   REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-013.jpg   REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics-headlights-015.jpg  

Old 05-15-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I'm jealous of the cut-off
Old 05-15-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

not bad. looks really good. cutoff isnt bad. has anyone been flashing u when u drive towards oncoming traffic?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did u get the poly spacers from couldnt find them @ lowes?any close-up pics of gaps?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They look great. I have enjoyed mine for almost a year now. Your right about not seeing the leds in the headlight during the day. I myself went with 4300K HIDs. You can see pics of them in my sig. As far as the flickering I recommend you get a relay harness. That should solve any issues you are having with the HIDs. You can get better HIDs elsewhere instead of ledgauges. PM me if you want to know where I got my HIDs and relay harness from.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

They have a nice cut-off, much better than the whistlers Brian2006 sold me! They were broken half way when I got them so I decided to rear-end someone and break them completely!

Got my spacers at Lowe's. They carry them at HD but they were out.

No flashing at all, they may be actually aimed a little low. We spent about an hour aiming, including drive-bys.

Can't complain at all for the money.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmilz28
They have a nice cut-off, much better than the whistlers Brian2006 sold me!
You lost me on that comment
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can definitely tell the projector/cutoff is cheap in the cutoff pictures but it's 100x better than nothing! Sounds like it was worth it. Thanks for posting up.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

wow impressive, i need to buy some of these, a lot of peopple on here are giving some good feedback on these
Old 05-18-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the more you know, ta da da daaaaaaaa
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brian2006
you = professional douche bag

And for the record, he is talking about some whistler headlights I sold him about 3 years ago
Yep, just f'ing with him. Relax!

Anyway, I love these things. They make the car much nicer to drive at night. I am not one to scrimp on costs but I think I'd have had to spend a grand and lots of time to get a better setup. The more I see the new bimmer headlights, the more I am happy with my purchase.

They DO take time to install and aim though, so be prepared.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good to know. Now all you need is matching Fogs
Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

any close ups of the headlights? and do they make them in a chrome similar to the stockers? i was thinking about modifying the stock housings to accept hid's as i have yet to find an aftermarket one i like.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they do make chrome projectors here are some pics on my car

Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Dude, you have a flat black car, you shoulda got the black ones, they are flat black casings. woulda matched perfectly.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good job resurrecting this thread from the dead

I have a set of these I'm selling, black housings, for cheap. Haven't posted a FS thread yet since my car is in the shop and until I get it back I won't be able to go out and ship them

Quick Reply: REVIEW: ebay HID projectors - with before and after pics