Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tinting the t-tops

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some pics I just took, don't mind the CDs or that little red sticker *Donation for some kids, Firefighters were getting*

Old 05-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I like the shades for this climate, because when we have a long cold winter, I leave them off and the sun warms the car nicely. I'd lose that if I tinted them darkly.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

T top shades work for me!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brian2006
My shades stay right in there even without the velcro
Yeah, you don't need to put the velcro stuff on. They stay up there fine. Never had a problem.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just use the shades. Best of both worlds. If I want to be able to look out at the sky without having to look through limo tint, ill take em off. If I want to keep the sun out, Ill put em on
Old 05-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Anyone know where you can get shades, mine didn't come with them? My interior is tan.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greenbird97
Anyone know where you can get shades, mine didn't come with them? My interior is tan.
You can either check the parts for sale section or www.specializedstainless.com makes some
Old 05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told by a tint shop that the layer of tint would cause the t-tops to heat up more and maybe crack so they wouldn't tint them.

So, I just made my own shades. I got black foam board and cut it to shape. They aren't pretty when out, but when in you can't tell. It insulates it from heat and cold too. Not bad for something that cost under $5. W/tan interior it would be easy to get some tan material and to match the headliner and a can of spray adhesive to cover them. I could cover mine with material and they would look better than they do now and still be cheaper buying the factory shades.

I'm not too worried about it though. I won an award at a show with them installed.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brian2006
My shades stay right in there even without the velcro
DO NOT NEED VELCRO--THEY STICK IN THERE JUST FINE.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

My buddy tinted mine today with 2.5% I got from Auto Zone. They came out good, tint is very dark. On the drive home, NO sun was on my head it felt like. I like the difference already, I just want to tint my sides that dark or close.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:16 AM
Teching In

I'm going to tint myn the 5%.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 5% all around and on the t-tops...not really sure why people are saying it blocks heat...I live in KS and it gets alot hotter in the car now that it is tinted. The dark tint attracts more light and heat...it kept getting so hot that it messed up my alarm system, the guy who worked on it put a thermometer in it. After less than 2 hrs it was over 170 degrees in the car. He said he had never seen a car get so hot so fast and was not sure if it had something to do with my tint or not. Don't get me wrong, I love the look, but if you are trying to keep sun or heat out...put the shades back in.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Badass02WS6
20 percent done two years ago and i love it. keeps the car cooler and you can still have the open feel of the t tops

i did that with mine for that very reason, only mine are 5%

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I was told by a tint shop that the layer of tint would cause the t-tops to heat up more and maybe crack so they wouldn't tint them.

So, I just made my own shades. I got black foam board and cut it to shape. They aren't pretty when out, but when in you can't tell. It insulates it from heat and cold too. Not bad for something that cost under $5. W/tan interior it would be easy to get some tan material and to match the headliner and a can of spray adhesive to cover them. I could cover mine with material and they would look better than they do now and still be cheaper buying the factory shades.

I'm not too worried about it though. I won an award at a show with them installed.
i had a shop say the same thing, and that was 2 years ago and they haven't cracked yet... i was told by several people on here that the tops are rated for 4000 degrees...i wouldnt want to be anywhere near my car if the t-tops were @ 4000 deg, lol...

they won't heat up enough to crack them just because of a little tint

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
I have 5% all around and on the t-tops...not really sure why people are saying it blocks heat...I live in KS and it gets alot hotter in the car now that it is tinted. The dark tint attracts more light and heat...it kept getting so hot that it messed up my alarm system, the guy who worked on it put a thermometer in it. After less than 2 hrs it was over 170 degrees in the car. He said he had never seen a car get so hot so fast and was not sure if it had something to do with my tint or not. Don't get me wrong, I love the look, but if you are trying to keep sun or heat out...put the shades back in.

i dont know how this could be, i lived in HELL (phoenix AZ) and i can tell you that with the tinted t-tops and a sun shade for the windshield my car stayed just as cool if not cooler than with the t-top shades and the sun shade....

the sun shade is a must, my dashboard got cooked one day in the sun and i had a nice 12 inch crack to come back to, and this was after less than 2 hrs... once i replaced the dashpad i got a sun shade and used it religiously
Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

I usually put a sunshade for the front...but the car still gets hot real quick. So now in the summertimes I keep the shades in, which helps alittle, but it still gets hot from the back windshield and sides.
Its just like wearing black or white in the sun...going to feel a lot cooler in the white...dark tint does the same.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Launching!

I'm sorry peterlaw but I think I have to disagree. I live in Kansas also and it does get very hot. If you have 5% tint all around, then 95% of ambient light is not getting into your vehicle. The reason I think it stays so hot, mine also, is that all the light/heat that comes through the front untinted windshield is then there-after pretty much trapped inside the car because it's only going to let 5% out, if you get what I'm saying
Old 05-19-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
After less than 2 hrs it was over 170 degrees in the car. He said he had never seen a car get so hot so fast and was not sure if it had something to do with my tint or not. Don't get me wrong, I love the look, but if you are trying to keep sun or heat out...put the shades back in.
Am I the only one that leaves the windows open 1/2 inch to let the heat out and breeze circulate?? Sure makes a difference. Swat
Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I'm sure someone will correct me about this, but with any of our cars from the 90s and newer should have tempered glass for our ttops, but the pre-90s cars ttops may have been plastic or a different material where if they were tinted, there was a chance they would do as you stated.

...Or it is just a pain in the *** for them, and don't want to do it?

As for me... I just got a set of shades from someone else on the boards yesterday in the mail, and I love them already. They seem to give the car a different feel... almost like I could do a hard top fbod.... just kidding.

Last edited by BlackonBlackTA; 05-20-2008 at 07:14 AM. Reason: I forgot half the point of my post.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

i tinted my own ttops 3 years ago and it has worked great. Hard to do because of their bowl shape water traped at the bottom.....does not look so good from the inside but loks fine from the outside and it stays kool with them and i also had the side windows and back winodw tinted.......do it urself....
Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

I have already said I put a sun screen on the front windshield to reflect the light and the shades in...so only light/heat coming in is from the sides and back which have 5%...its simple science you guys...I am not arguing with the amount of light coming in, but the amount of radiant HEAT produced...The darker the tint (ie: black) the more light energy is absorbed and converted to heat when trapped into the car (heat waves have longer wavelengths than light waves, therefore light can enter but heat can not cross the windows/tint.
If you don't believe me, get two items, one white and one black, and place them in the sunlight, after a couple hours go and measure the heat that is being given off the two objects...There have been numerous tests already done about how exterior/interior color can affect how hot a car gets inside.
As for cracking the windows, I have an alarm system that automatically rolls up the window when locked, plus KU med is not in the safest neighborhood...so definitely not leaving the chance of getting broken into.
My t/a is nbm with grey interior, I also have a black truck with grey interior and NO tint. The truck does not get anywhere near as hot inside as the t/a when they are both parked on the driveway.
I am done trying to prove my point...I am not saying do not tint...I have tint and love it, just trying to point out that it does NOT keep the car cooler while parked...now maybe it might feel cooler when you are in the car driving because not as much light is hitting you and it is reflecting some of the heat away. But I KNOW my car got hotter from going from 20% to 5% tint (as far as getting off work or class and trying not to burn myself)
Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

yea the whole "your ttops will crack if you tint them" is a bunch of bullshit

Quick Reply: Tinting the t-tops