Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DETAIL: '99 Z28 with pics & foam gun video

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel6718
damn...my car sits outside 24/7 and it looks hazy like that...id love to clean and fix the paint on it but the little chips and few scratches along with being outsiude all the time makes me think its better to get it painted to fix imperfections...but dont wanna do that because i kno it will fade again with the sunlight all the time
Daniel:

You'd be surprised how much of a difference can be made with the use of the clay bar on the surface just 1-2 times a year.

The first time to get the car in this condition can be time and labor intensive but well worth it in the long run. Regular paint protection applications such as wax or sealant will help maintain the gloss and protection longer. You'll be able to clean the car quicker and get it back to your desired level.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
With the SIP/orange combo, we have been getting impressive corrections with little to no micro-marring even on dark colors.
The only redeeming factor of hard clearcoat, I must say. Nice job.

BTW, Brandon, still doing head porting work? I couldn't be happier with mine, still.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
The only redeeming factor of hard clearcoat, I must say. Nice job.

BTW, Brandon, still doing head porting work? I couldn't be happier with mine, still.
Hey man, I am glad you are still running and happy. I really only do them for myself and friends. My business has taken off and we are VERY busy.

The wheels are forgeline RS, they are discontinued and been around for years. You guys have seen them before but are used to seeing them with the horrible center covers. I am having some small covers machined just to hide the rotor hubs. They need to be compounded out as well to being out the real luster. Sorry to say, but I have let the car go over a long period of time and decided to turn it around. Steve has jumped off the first phase in a big way.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve i was talking to you on sat and you were telling me about this car, as always awsome job. It looks amazing I cant beleive the difference and once again thank you for your time on sat. Bob

Last edited by 99zman; 05-19-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99zman
Steve i was talking to you on sat and you were telling me about this car, as always awsome job. It looks amazing I cant beleive the difference and once again thank you for your time on sat. Bob
Its a bit of an odd experience when you pickup the car feeling so excited about the results, all the while feeling pity for what the guy has just gone through.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dang I wish I lived near you now, that's what my car needs bad! it is even that color too.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Dang I wish I lived near you now, that's what my car needs bad! it is even that color too.
We sell many buffer kits to those who have never used one before. There is a short learning curve as you become familiar with the capability of the machine and products. You can get these same results with a little time and persistence.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast01z28
b) not just anyone could do this well.
I think they can with a little practice. I'm no pro, but I've gotten pretty good with the Porter Cable & stuff I bought from TropiCare. Really, it boils down to time, patience, and persistence. My own cars turn out pretty nice. Some cars just can't be saved (my mom's repainted Accord had crowsfeet in the paint and DA sander swirls below the basecoat, uggh). But I was able to save the Christmas of a couple of little boys - who decided that drawing on the hood and headlights of daddy's MR2 Spyder with caliche rocks was a fun and good idea. Got almost all of the marks off the hood (just a very light scratch visible in only direct sunlight left) and all of the marks off of the headlights. Saved him several hundred $$, and he didn't kill his sons.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

That looks great, good work. Also like the forgelines.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

LMAO @ the "foam gun.... haha... What the heck's the point?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
LMAO @ the "foam gun.... haha... What the heck's the point?
Actually it can a be pretty useful tool.

First you would lightly rinse the surface to remove any loose dirt. As one sprays the foam on the surface, it will soften and surround this existing surface dirt and road grime after several minutes. It won't remove the remaining grime as physical contact will still need to be made to break the electrostatic bond holding this dirt. In addition, the foamy barrier minimizes the chances of inflicting surface scratches during the wash phase.

After the first wash and rinse, the soap solution can also be sprayed on as the lubricant for clay barring the surface.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Do you make house calls to Houston? Great work!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Do you make house calls to Houston? Great work!
Thanks Randy.

Sorry but I can barely get out to do any mobile details on a local level.

Have you tried to contact any of the Houston area detailers that frequent this board? I'm sure one of them can accomodate you with your needs.

Quick Reply: DETAIL: '99 Z28 with pics & foam gun video