Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Replacing the stock HL bulbs with Xenons on a '99 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the stock HL bulbs with Xenons on a '99 WS6

Ok, so for the first time, I'm interested in changing out the bulbs on my WS6. My question is, what's the best way to go about doing this? On my old '01 Integra Type-R, it was the easiest thing in the world, but I haven't really looking into the bulbs or light housings on my WS6.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

There's 3 screws on the plastic piece covering your headlamps. There is 4 torx screws you need to take out and the headlamp comes out. Pretty simple. I bought some new headlamps from AutoZone that are supposed to be 15% brighter, and compared to my old ones, I can see the entire road vs 1/3 of the road lol
Old 05-20-2008, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattIROC
There's 3 screws on the plastic piece covering your headlamps. There is 4 torx screws you need to take out and the headlamp comes out. Pretty simple. I bought some new headlamps from AutoZone that are supposed to be 15% brighter, and compared to my old ones, I can see the entire road vs 1/3 of the road lol
Yeah, i can't STAND how dim the stock lights are. I can't see ****! I was definitely wanting something to give me better vision at night. I didn't realize it was that easy. I've had to take off the plastic piece before, to reconnect the harness a few times.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

yep thats it. I dont remember the size of the torx off hand, but I had a whole set and it was the 3rd one from the smallest I believe. I did it at night, so it took me a good 30 minutes for both since I couldn't see ****. Just don't drop any bolts
Old 05-20-2008, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattIROC
yep thats it. I dont remember the size of the torx off hand, but I had a whole set and it was the 3rd one from the smallest I believe. I did it at night, so it took me a good 30 minutes for both since I couldn't see ****. Just don't drop any bolts

Lol, that would suck. Btw, where can I find the actual bulbs? All I can seem to find online are the bulbs for the fog lights. You and others say Autozone, but out of EVERYTHING they sell, what would you recommend?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

the bulb and lens are one piece for the TA's. I haven't seen standalone bulbs either, I want that bright xenon look too but can't find anything other than that true HID expensive stuff
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Lol, that would suck. Btw, where can I find the actual bulbs? All I can seem to find online are the bulbs for the fog lights. You and others say Autozone, but out of EVERYTHING they sell, what would you recommend?
You buy 2 housings, you can't change just the bulbs. I picked mine up from AZ for $9 a piece.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright guys, i'm here to help As we all know, T/A stock lighting sucks ***. (I don't own mine yet and I even know this) Well Firebird's have sealed beam headlamps, the whole "rectangle" headlight IS the headlight. When i get mine, I want that obnoxious blue headlights for the car. If you wanna put bulbs in, check out this site: Google EuroLamps and on the site, left side, hit Sealed beam conversion kit. Email them your year and model and they should be able to help you out. Then I would go to ebay and find whatever bulb you want. I think the kit swaps them out to H4 bulbs. As the temperature in the bulb goes up, the bluer it gets. 10,000K is a deep blue that lights up EVERYTHING which is what I want, 12,000K is blue/purple. I think 8000K is what the mercedes and lexus's have. If this is too pricey, go to AutoZone and get Sylvania SilverStars.. they're more white than they are yellow. I had these on my 87 Camaro and they looked nice. But I prefer the blue tint more. Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:56 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Alright guys, i'm here to help As we all know, T/A stock lighting sucks ***. (I don't own mine yet and I even know this) Well Firebird's have sealed beam headlamps, the whole "rectangle" headlight IS the headlight. When i get mine, I want that obnoxious blue headlights for the car. If you wanna put bulbs in, check out this site: Google EuroLamps and on the site, left side, hit Sealed beam conversion kit. Email them your year and model and they should be able to help you out. Then I would go to ebay and find whatever bulb you want. I think the kit swaps them out to H4 bulbs. As the temperature in the bulb goes up, the bluer it gets. 10,000K is a deep blue that lights up EVERYTHING which is what I want, 12,000K is blue/purple. I think 8000K is what the mercedes and lexus's have. If this is too pricey, go to AutoZone and get Sylvania SilverStars.. they're more white than they are yellow. I had these on my 87 Camaro and they looked nice. But I prefer the blue tint more. Hope this helps.
Yeah, I checked them out earlier. I want 8500K bulbs, but I don't want to end up getting a whole HID kit. Lol.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:10 AM
11 Second Club

You don't really need a whole kit, like those one's that sell for $140. The sealed beam conversion is $65? I think? And then get some bulbs off ebay for cheap. The good companies make good bulbs that last a while too. This is pretty much the only way to get xenons in for cheap. I'm just waiting on a closing date for one of our houses until i get my T/A, then this should be one of the first things im doing. bah it's horrible waiting for such a thing!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Banned

i fixed my dim headlight problem and got this

Don't bother with your time or money on xenon halogen bulbs. They burn brighter, but also don't last as long, and run extremely hot. Look into doing a proper HID retrofit. It looks way better than HID plug and plays, you don't blind oncoming traffic, and you light up more of the road.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Hey Dirty. Isn't that somewhat costly and ***** to the wall wiring detail?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

So Dirtybird what projectors are those?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

Hey Dirty. Isn't that somewhat costly and ***** to the wall wiring detail?
Yes but there are cheaper alternatives. I went with quality **** though. They are Hella 90mm H7 projectors. I used D2S bulbs with H7 to D2S adapters. There are people that make wiring harnesses for pretty cheap. You can do it yourself, but a set (one for headlights, one for fog lights) for $40 total.

Hella H9 90mm Projectors = $100-$120 depending on where you buy them.
Hella mounting brackets = $20
Ebay H9 Kit (most likely won't need wiring) = $70.

Some ask why I spent so much on something like lighting, but I can actually see the road now, not blinding oncoming traffic, and not dealing with "Xenon halogen bulbs" blowing out every other month.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I have the H9 version of the Hella 90mm projectors and a H9 HID kit.

Check out the Lighting FAQ for it and other lighting options.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html
Old 05-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

As the temperature in the bulb goes up, the bluer it gets. 10,000K is a deep blue that lights up EVERYTHING which is what I want, 12,000K is blue/purple. I think 8000K is what the mercedes and lexus's have. If this is too pricey, go to AutoZone and get Sylvania SilverStars.. they're more white than they are yellow. I had these on my 87 Camaro and they looked nice. But I prefer the blue tint more. Hope this helps.
Mercedes, Lexus, and other OEMs use 4100K-4300K HID. The housings also have an affect on perceived color.

As the color temperature goes up (the #K), the color gets bluer then purpler.... but the lumen output (the actual measurement of light) goes down. In other words 8000K bulbs are dimmer than 4100K bulbs.

Our eyes are least sensitive to blue light (bad) and it scatters more easily (also bad).
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are my HID's 10K's will be getting a set of 8K's for my Formula.

More pics here:

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=1&carid=18727

Quick Reply: Replacing the stock HL bulbs with Xenons on a '99 WS6